Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Happyman42 wrote: »
    And after the rape we are asked to believe she has problems with having sex with one of them but instigates sex with another of those who were there? I think it was more important to the writers that Darren be portrayed as the man with a conscience and Siobhan's credibility was sarcrificed for this. As an editor I wouldn't have allowed that scene take place, not in that way anyway. It betrayed the integrity of the storyline imo.

It was a clumsy and not very subtle way to portray their stupidity, if that is what it was. They may be thuggish but I don't see a deliberate intent on behalf of the writers to depict the brothers as stupid or fools. Not anymore than any of the cast are stupid anyhow. I saw the brother's warning to Lizzie about Darren, as concern for her, rather than stupidity, he could see the potential of collateral damage to the gang if it kicked off.
    Why was it stupid? Tipping off Nidge might have been stupid, but they haven't shown much interest in Darren as a culprit in Nit's death.

I'd agree on both of those points. The trouble with a show as good as this is sloppy writing and plotting becomes more obvious when it appears.
    Darren is increasingly looking like a character from another show walking dazed and confused (apologies to Led Zep) through this one.
    Overall, last night was a warmup for next week - my money says our RA pigeon fancier won't last the pace. Another poster mentioned McGinley wanting to keep the arms route through Nidge open - in reality that would be his priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Darren's whole behaviour has become a glaring inconsistency alright. If he is sending to or supporting someone with the money, shouldn't we know about it as he is one of the main characters?
    Same problem with Siobhan's behaviour and her switching on and off of her trauma. I would imagine it is a very insulting characterisation to those who have been brutalised in this way, although when asked to depict the trauma the actress is excellent.
    The Real IRA chap parking up outside the garda station to watch was also sloppy and unbelievable.
    It's a real shame as I think a good commissioning editor should have interrogated these writing or directorial decisions and ironed them out.

Happyman you have either no idea how to critique or interpret drama or are purposefully flaming the thread. Darren's behaviour has been consistent. Siobhan has been the exact same throughout. The Real IRA fella was not the brightest crayon in the box and so its no surprise he parked in a stupid place. Your comments are laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Thread has descended into Happyman vs. everyone else once again...every Monday morning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Happyman you have either no idea how to critique or interpret drama or are purposefully flaming the thread. Darren's behaviour has been consistent. Siobhan has been the exact same throughout. The Real IRA fella was not the brightest crayon in the box and so its no surprise he parked in a stupid place. Your comments are laughable.

The Ignore button is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Blay wrote: »
    Thread has descended into Happyman vs. everyone else once again...every Monday morning....

In fairness to him I actually feel this morning his points are more valid than other Mondays where some points are off the wall. I can see why he would think his opinions this week and I tried to explain how I see it. I think this morning his contribution is valid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

she was seen last week asking about having sex again and Darren has been her rock recently, even before the rape her and Tommy were not exactly hopping off each other as she so elegantly put it. She was worried he slept with Debbie and had an STD.
    So she instigates sex with someone whose sexual history she has no idea about? Doesn't ring remotely true tbh.

If he was that worried about his sister he would have used the money to ship her out of the country.

Why would her feelings for Darren be affected by a trip to England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

julyjane wrote: »
    Reminds me of that film Adam & Paul about the 2 junkies - when one of them died there was no more "Adam & Paul" even though Adam/Paul I can't remember which was still around.

You didn't find out until the closing credits of the film which was which.
    julyjane wrote: »
    I wonder will they start to think Darren is some kind of a rat because he wasn't brought in. Then if Nidge finds out he's hanging with the RA girl and paranoia takes over....

I think Nidge is already considering clipping Darren as he owes him money and is mentioning Fran's wife too much. He's more of a liability than an asset to him at this stage.
    meath12 wrote: »
    does anybody think the part with johnboy could have a been a big hint that maybe he is still alive? if it was it could make for a great storyline with johnboy coming back in the next episode just in time to sort out the ra before they get nidge and darren.

No. He's dead. He was shot in the face by his own guys. Who would he have turned to cover up the fact that he survived? Who would have switched the bodies? Can't happen. Way too soap-opera for this type of show.
    Godot. wrote: »
    Has there been an attractive woman on Love/Hate that WASN'T a slut? Trish, maybe? Don't think she has slept around.

Siobhan trying to initiate sex with someone who's helping her after years of being cheated on by her partner now makes her a slut?

That's a bit harsh considering pretty much all the male characters are visiting brothels on a regular basis.
    And after the rape we are asked to believe she has problems with having sex with one of them but instigates sex with another of those who were there? I think it was more important to the writers that Darren be portrayed as the man with a conscience and Siobhan's credibility was sarcrificed for this. As an editor I wouldn't have allowed that scene take place, not in that way anyway. It betrayed the integrity of the storyline imo.

It's a tiny bit far fetched alright. But I think you place too much power in the hands of the editor. Director/Producer would certainly call the shots as to what stays/goes in terms of plot points like that.

So she instigates sex with someone whose sexual history she has no idea about? Doesn't ring remotely true tbh.

Why would her feelings for Darren be affected by a trip to England?

Yes there has been a lot of sparks flying between the pair this season and she may feel its time to ditch Tommy and go for the safer option Darren who she knows was with Rosie for a period and is capable of loving. Did he ever cheat on Rosie? I don't think so. Anyway thats why thinking behind it, I found it believable, you didn't fair enough.

No I meant if he was worried about his sisters welfare, ie her getting shot in the crossfire he would have shipped her off. He obviously isnt he is more worried about her boyfriend getting shot and it effecting her so he warned her to tell Darren which again in my opinion shows how stupid he is. Again my opinion my reading.

The thing is you will find fault with every single show that is on TV/film if you look hard enough? Can you name one show that isn't flawed some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Debbie does not look like a junkie :pac:

Debbie should have been cast as Lizzie and Lizzie as Debbie :pac:

The guy warned his sister because he has no idea Darren is the actual killer and he cares about her. Also he isn't an out and out psychotic like Dano or Nidge. Even if he isn't the sharpest tool in the box he can see bloodshed coming. Best his sister isn't side by side with Darren when the shooting starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Am I the only one who thinks Siobhan is not a good actress in this show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Rasmus wrote: »
    Yup :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Yes there has been a lot of sparks flying between the pair this season and she may feel its time to ditch Tommy and go for the safer option Darren who she knows was with Rosie for a period and is capable of loving. Did he ever cheat on Rosie? I don't think so. Anyway thats why thinking behind it, I found it believable, you didn't fair enough.
    I understand that it is open to interpretation and thinking about it my main problems are with the portrayal of Darren. They have put him in a situation where his lack of depth is letting the story down. As somebody else has said, he is wandering about as if this isn't his story.
    No I meant if he was worried about his sisters welfare, ie her getting shot in the crossfire he would have shipped her off. He obviously isnt he is more worried about her boyfriend getting shot and it effecting her so he warned her to tell Darren which again in my opinion shows how stupid he is. Again my opinion my reading.
    I think at best it was a confused attempt to humanise him, on top of the two brothers lightheartedly slagging her about the picture on the phone earlier.

Ella wrote: »
    Yup :P

ha, I actually just don't get it. Trish, on the other hand I think is brilliant.

I understand that it is open to interpretation and thinking about it my main problems are with the portrayal of Darren. They have put him in a situation where his lack of depth is letting the story down. As somebody else has said, he is wandering about as if this isn't his story.

I think most people would agree with you Happyman that Darren does not belong in this production at all. He is the wrong actor for the character. I think another actor would have portrayed the Darren role a whole lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Rasmus wrote: »

Well you're entitled to think what you want but I would disagree with that statement. I think she's fantastic.

In terms of the scene with Siobhan & Darren, it was along time coming. Her sexual relationship with Tommy was a dead horse, she was frustrated and rebellious in episode 1 of this season and well aware of Tommys infedelity. Bear in mind she is a very young character who was once free spirited and seductive (series 1).

Mentally she is now broken, betrayed by Tommy, alone, violated by Git, ignored by Donna, traumatised by Tommys "accident" and then grilled by the Gardai. Darren is now her only true friend. Darren is the opposite of Tommy, caring, loyal, trustworthy. Often Siobhan woke up alone but that morning Darren was there for her and the child plus she probably wanted to feel something other than pain and grief for a few short moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Was there a trailer released for next week at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Find it hard to believe in the Darren character in almost every way. For me he is the only real fault with this series.

From his pretty boy looks, the way he runs & walks, his hardman image & sense of moral justice in some areas but willingness to gun down innocent people & their partners in the next.

He is shown to be incredibly foolhardy aswell, wearing the same hoddie that he murdered elmo's cousin in for days & days now, showing up at obvious hotspots like the ra fellas funeral, siobhans place, aidos place, all on top of intially letting elmo go leading to a clustef**k of ****.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Was there a trailer released for next week at all?

Yeah, a pissed off McGinley with Dano and shots of AK-47s being handed out. Aired just after the show last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Im suprised theres any time to deal drugs with all this going on.

I was convinced that the solicitor Dave would be in bed with the IRA lads and
    spill the beans directly to Dano when they were all released, no joy though.

I think Elmo will be caught by Dano and tell him Darren agreed to
    let him go at the cost of his cousins life. This will make it look like
    Darren killed Git and make him an easier target than Nidge as afterall
    he's bringing in the shipments and is 'a useful idiot' as Git said.

Darren will then want to go on the all out offensive knowing its
    his arse on the line.

Debbie will either be found dead from an od. Or will return home with
    the purse iPod and a gift for mum (doubtful)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Yeah, a pissed off McGinley with Dano and shots of AK-47s being handed out. Aired just after the show last night.

Missed it last night, was dying sick after saturday night so passed out on the couch. Just watched there on the player but there was no trailer after it. If anyone has a link to it throw it up here.

Well you're entitled to think what you want but I would disagree with that statement. I think she's fantastic.

Well I wasn't making a statement, I was asking a question! I appreciate your analysis on her character development, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

The trailer seems to indicate that the CIRA dont back Dano so it could essentially could come down to Nidge,Darren,Fran against Dano and his crew so a major character like Nidge could well live on.

Is the whole Johnboy Powerpoint and Darren calling him Nidgeweasel a way to show us he is questioning his mortality and is it worth it or could there be more to it than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Who was the fella who stopped your man in the jeep and took his wallet and threw it in the back of it.
    Is he another break away Ira extorting money,vigilante?under cover cop?
    ????

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Who was the fella who stopped your man in the jeep and took his wallet and threw it in the back of it.
    ????

Garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

Have to agree with Happyman for a change on this, it was the one part of last nights show I was disappointed with, didn't seem realistic or necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

TURRICAN wrote: »
    ????

I assumed he was a guard.

Why else would the guy in the car actually accept being told to put his hands on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

There was a deeper meaning to Ray tipping off Lizzie to warn Darren IMO.

He knew there would be an almighty bloodbath coming down the tracks. Far from being stupid, he realised that he himself and all the rest of them on the other side would be unlikely to survive. He would have been in a philosophical mood at the time as well having just won the compo claim after 7 years.

He saw the possibility of Darren and Lizzie walking away from the lifestyle so he gave her the tip. He’d have loved to walk away and save himself of course but knew that could never happen as he was in too deep with his RIRA comrades. Doing a runner himself would have meant certain death. There was a fatalistic quality to the scene - I thought it was very well written and acted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

she probably wanted to feel something other than pain and grief for a few short moments.

She wanted to be vadazzled :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I think most people would agree with you Happyman that Darren does not belong in this production at all. He is the wrong actor for the character. I think another actor would have portrayed the Darren role a whole lot better.

I think the actors playing Dardn and Tommy should just have been switched.

Tommy has a bit more a cold, violent look about him where as Darren is eye-candy to the ladies (apparently) so it'd make more sense for him to be the womaniser.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement