Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using snuff?

• 14-07-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

Used to use it in bars sometimes when I couldn't be bothered to step outside (and, yes, it's technically illegal to use in bars, but I've never been pulled up on it).

Gave up the smokes in January and have been using snuff full time since: it's a wondrous substitute!

Finding it in bars can be awkward as they're no longer allowed to display it, and I've had some funny looks when I've asked for it...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've never tried it. It's something i've been meaning to try for years. It's something always associated with the older generation. Where can you buy it here?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

yes, it's technically illegal to use in bars
    Yeah? Where does it say that?
    they're no longer allowed to display it
    Well nobody's told The Palace. I'm fairly sure Mulligan's of Poolbeg Street still had it behind the bar last I was in.
    lord lucan wrote: »
    Where can you buy it here?
    Old-fashioned pubs. The tins are generally affixed to a sheet of hung-up cardboard, peanut style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I've never tried it. It's something i've been meaning to try for years. It's something always associated with the older generation. Where can you buy it here?

Any tobacconist, I'd say. The tins you tend to get in some pubs are tiny! I get it in one of the two at the bottom of Grafton St. There's also a tobacco shop on Talbot St. Another plus is that it only costs me about €5 for almost a month's supply...

I usually get it in my local in Portmarnock (who were told recently to stop displaying it), presumably by HSE inspectors or the guards... Apparently it comes under the definition of a "tocacco product" as contained in the advertising and display regulations.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah? Where does it say that?

Well nobody's told The Palace. I'm fairly sure Mulligan's of Poolbeg Street still had it behind the bar last I was in.

Old-fashioned pubs. The tins are generally affixed to a sheet of hung-up cardboard, peanut style.

Again, I believe it's listed as a relevant tobacco product in the primary legislation on tobacco taxation/control, and the definition of tobacco substance in the smoking ban legislation was just lifted straight from the earlier act. So it sort of sneaks into the ban by a technicality. It's not an issue in day-to-day use, though.

My local no longer has it on display (last couple of weeks) as they were apparently told not to...

Interesting, thanks.

I see in the 2002 Act it says:
    “tobacco product” means—

(a) any product consisting, in whole or in part, of tobacco, that is intended to be smoked,

“smoke” in relation to a tobacco product, includes sniffing, chewing or sucking of such a product;

I'd like to see the evidence for the case against passive snuff...

Interesting, thanks.

I see in the 2002 Act it says:

I like to see the evidence for the case against passive snuff...

Personally, I like to hurl a handful into the barman's eyes!

It goes to show, however, that the legislation was as much about caving in to the anti-tobacco lobby as it was about workplace safety...

• Advertisement

Might pop into Petersons over the next few days and pick up some.:)

Might pop into Petersons over the next few days and pick up some.:)

My favourite is McChrystal's. It's got a nice menthol flavour. I'd avoid something like Gawith's, as it has a strong aniseed flavour. Also, McChrystal's is the most widely available in pubs, so it's handy to have that as your regular snuff. A medium tin costs about €2.50 to €3, depending on where you get it, and will last a heavy user weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

This thread has just reminded me that I've had a tin of McChrystals in one of my bedroom drawers since 2007:eek:.

Might whip that out this evening and enjoy it with a cuppa over Fair City...

BenShermin wrote: »
    I've had a tin of McChrystals in one of my bedroom drawers since 2007
    Mine is vintage 2001 and cost 80p IIRC. I doubt it's even half empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tombones

Wouldn't mind a bit of snuff myself, anyone know where you can get it in cork these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

I think Mulligans still has it, but not on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tombones

I think Mulligans still has it, but not on display.
    Nice one for the quick response, i'll check it out.

BenShermin wrote: »
    This thread has just reminded me that I've had a tin of McChrystals in one of my bedroom drawers since 2007:eek:.

Might whip that out this evening and enjoy it with a cuppa over Fair City...
    Mine is vintage 2001 and cost 80p IIRC. I doubt it's even half empty.

Does it age well? Might there be a market for "vintage snuff"? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

I've been using it myself lately, just to cut down on the amount of cigs I smoke. It's healthier and as cheap as chips.

I'm on the Gawith Apricot Snuff, although I must sniff out what other varieties are out there.

I do find myself, though, sneaking into toilets to have a sniff because sniffing substances off the crook of your hand seems to have acquired negative connotations of late.

I suppose I'll be moving on to mainlining my nicotine next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My favourite is McChrystal's. It's got a nice menthol flavour. I'd avoid something like Gawith's, as it has a strong aniseed flavour.
    Menthol. Ugh. Any other flavours?
    Abrasax wrote: »
    I've been using it myself lately, just to cut down on the amount of cigs I smoke. It's healthier and as cheap as chips.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuff
    Unlike tobacco smoke, snuff is free of tar and harmful gases such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides. Since it cannot be inhaled into the lungs, there is no risk of lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema ... Though we are not aware of any direct evidence, prolonged heavy use of dry snuff might well carry a slight risk of nasopharyngeal cancer ... The position with coronary heart disease is not clear. It is not known whether nicotine or carbon monoxide is the major culprit responsible for cigarette-induced coronary heart disease. If it is carbon monoxide a switch to snuff would reduce the risk substantially,but even if nicotine plays a part our results show that the intake from snuff is no greater than from smoking.

In conclusion, the rapid absorption of nicotine from snuff confirms its potential as an acceptable substitute for smoking. Switching from cigarettes to snuff would substantially reduce the risk of lung cancer, bronchitis, emphysema, and possibly coronary heart disease as well, at the cost of a slight increase in the risk of cancer of the nasopharynx (or oral cavity in the case of wet snuff). Another advantage of snuff is that it does not contaminate the atmosphere for non-users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Does it age well? Might there be a market for "vintage snuff"? :D
    Just gave E-bay a scan through there. There's a box going for £5.95gbp. The seller has put no date on it though. Feckin' chancer I'd say:D! It's the only tin of McChrystals on the website btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

p & p barrys beside peters pub / oppsite stephens green centre stock it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

big fan of mccrystals , i also have some german rasperry stuff , the mccrystals smokers blend is quite a good cigarette replacement but a bit harsh on the nose

Just got my first tin of McChrystals Original. It was like sticking a Halls Mentholyptus up my nose!:D

Mind you,i haven't had a smoke in about 3 hours.:cool:

Jaysus! I can see myself getting hooked on this. Great gear!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Well Mr Murphym7 gave up the fags last week.

My Mother in law told me about snuff and how her mother and father used it 30 years ago to give up smoking. I started taking the McChrystals Original a couple of days ago.

Great gear is right Lord Lucan! - I'm getting a great bang of nicotene from taking it. Had a sniff at around 7 before I left for work, and now sitting at my desk an hour later nicely nicely. This stuff is great - up to a few days ago I never even knew what it was. I thought it was something old fellas took to have a sneeze at the bar, never even new it was a tobaco product.

Was I wrong, I have a couple of tins of the McChrystals Original left. After they are gone I am going to head to town and try and find a tobaconists and buy some different flavours.

Here goes my addicitve personality again!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my mother get it in desmonds on talbot street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Blanchboh

This is not the stuff that ya put in your mouth in a little ball is it between your lip and gum? can ya drink with that in your mouth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

No, snuff is (dried) powerded tobacco that you inhale through your nose.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Blanchboh wrote: »
    This is not the stuff that ya put in your mouth in a little ball is it between your lip and gum? can ya drink with that in your mouth?

I think that is called Snuss and is now illegal, I think.

Yes, though Sweden got an exemption to the EU ban on selling oral tobacco.

Advertisement