Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

• 14-07-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

The JC forum has a thread for 2nd years, so I think we should have one for us not quite LC-ers. Are you looking forward to next year? I actually think its going to hit me like a train after TY. I've been looking at the course for Chem and Maths. jaesus its huge :O I'm thinking of starting now in case I get crap teachers, which I probably will because a lot of the older teachers have retired early because they think their lump sum will be taxed. Whats going on with your school , are you worried about study/new teachers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The JC forum has a thread for 2nd years, so I think we should have one for us not quite LC-ers. Are you looking forward to next year? I actually think its going to hit me like a train after TY. I've been looking at the course for Chem and Maths. jaesus its huge :O I'm thinking of starting now in case I get crap teachers, which I probably will because a lot of the older teachers have retired early because they think their lump sum will be taxed. Whats going on with your school , are you worried about study/new teachers?
    (As an experienced leaving cert student:D)...do not start during the Summer! If people wanted you starting then there'd be no Summer holidays. Get out of this thread and don't show your face til September 1st dya hear?!!!

P.S: Enjoy your Summer.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Hello! I just did the JC but I'm going straight into fifth year. I'm not gonna start studying this Summer, I don't want to start stressing myself out! I'll only have like 3 new teachers cos out schools so small, so I'm not too worried about that.What subjects are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Why on earth would you even think about studying in the summer especially before you even go into 5th year. You have never done an actual class in the subjects and LC and JC syllabuses couldn't be anymore different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

unknown13 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you even think about studying in the summer especially before you even go into 5th year. You have never done an actual class in the subjects and LC and JC syllabuses couldn't be anymore different.
    If anything, don't even attempt to teach yourself Maths or Chemistry. You'll only confuse yourself and make it nigh on impossible to understand once you're in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah, studying before the summer before 5th year shows good ambition, but is a bit of a daft idea really. Wait till the teachers do it, it's their job. Having just finished 5th year and having reflected upon it, really, there's a lot of unnessicary stress if you want high points in the LC. Christmas tests don't really mean much, do your best like, and if you reach your target, fair play, and if you don't, it doesn't matter a jot really. Same with the summer tests.

Do your work though, and keep on top of your subjects. Subjects like chemistry, maths and so on have parts you need good notes on, and good tuition. Also, if possible, keep a good attendance. It definitely makes life a lot easier. Also, think about careers and stuff, but don't stress out about it too much. If you leave it till 6th year though, you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself, and that could lead to nasty mistakes.

And keep good, organised, neat notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Ally7 wrote: »
    Hello! I just did the JC but I'm going straight into fifth year. I'm not gonna start studying this Summer, I don't want to start stressing myself out! I'll only have like 3 new teachers cos out schools so small, so I'm not too worried about that.What subjects are you doing?

I think all of my teachers are new and the teachers in my school are so ****. I'm taking maths, english, irish, french, chemistry, physics and biology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Hi :)

I'm going into 5th year...and terrified!!

I feel like all Irish, French and Maths has dripped out of my head in TY and I'll make an awful show of myself in front of the people who will be skipping it!

I'm doing Irish, English, Maths, French, History, Biology & Chemistry in school, and I might do Accounting outside of school....haven't made up my mind yet!

Hi :)

I'm going into 5th year...and terrified!!

I feel like all Irish, French and Maths has dripped out of my head in TY and I'll make an awful show of myself in front of the people who will be skipping it!

I'm doing Irish, English, Maths, French, History, Biology & Chemistry in school, and I might do Accounting outside of school....haven't made up my mind yet!

Towards the end of TY I forgot what town was (ville) and I pronounced anglais as angly.
    I got an A in JC French. I have no french left :'( :P

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Tbh I'm not too worried about going into Fifth Year because I did Transition Year and I've got so much more confident and have an idea of what I want to do when I leave school which will keep me motivated...sorta :)

I do suffer from "I used to know it...then I did T.Y." syndrome though! I have forgotten nearly everything but I don't care xD

My subjects don't require me to remember much, I have a rough idea of all of them and sure whatever doesn't come back immediately I'll remember or learn again.

English, Irish, Maths, Biology, History, Geography and Home Ec.

I'm a linguistic person so all my subjects will be pretty easy for me and because theory makes sense to me. I'm not saying there's not going to be a lot of learning in it though!:pac:
    Enjoy your summer, you'll be dying for the next summer because as soon as you enter the school doors in September!

Nicole. wrote: »
    Tbh I'm not too worried about going into Fifth Year because I did Transition Year and I've got so much more confident and have an idea of what I want to do when I leave school which will keep me motivated...sorta :)

I do suffer from "I used to know it...then I did T.Y." syndrome though! I have forgotten nearly everything but I don't care xD

My subjects don't require me to remember much, I have a rough idea of all of them and sure whatever doesn't come back immediately I'll remember or learn again.

English, Irish, Maths, Biology, History, Geography and Home Ec.

I'm a linguistic person so all my subjects will be pretty easy for me and because theory makes sense to me. I'm not saying there's not going to be a lot of learning in it though!:pac:
    Enjoy your summer, you'll be dying for the next summer because as soon as you enter the school doors in September!

The majority of universities require a third language. Do you know that.

• Advertisement

The majority of universities require a third language. Do you know that.

Thanks for making sure I knew that because if I didn't I could be in trouble (genienly thanks:)) But I'm going to get an exemption from the 3rd language thing; I have been informed by my career guidance teacher and learning support teacher that they're nearly 100% sure that I'll get the 3rd language exemption due to my specific learning disability. :pac::)

Thanks for making sure I knew that because if I didn't I could be in trouble (genienly thanks:)) But I'm going to get an exemption from the 3rd language thing; I have been informed by my career guidance teacher and learning support teacher that they're nearly 100% sure that I'll get the 3rd language exemption due to my specific learning disability. :pac::)

They give you the exemption from Irish not the foreign language.

Not as far as I know and I've been checking with teachers for the past year making sure that I don't need a 3rd language, in my case, the foreign one. I've been told since 1st Year that I won't need a 3rd one.

What's your source?:)

Not as far as I know and I've been checking with teachers for the past year making sure that I don't need a 3rd language. I've been told since 1st Year that I won't need a 3rd one.

What's your source?:)

My resource teacher. The problem I had with my exemption was that I sat the language for my JC. Then one day I told her if I got it I would have rather the exemption from the foreign language I did (German) but she said they only give you an exemption from Irish.

The system may have changed, but honestly that is what I was told.

My resource teacher. The problem I had with my exemption was that I sat the language for my JC. Then one day I told her if I got it I would have rather the exemption from the foreign language I did (German) but she said they only give you an exemption from Irish.

The system may have changed, but honestly that is what I was told.

Okay yeah, I actually don't doubt you on that one:) That makes sense because I think that is the current system still but I had a very clever resource teacher who knew their stuff about this and told me in First Year not to do the 3rd language till Junior Cert at all becase I won't need it as I had no interest in it and if I did do it to Junior Cert, there'd be no hope for me to get the exemption for Leaving Cert.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

My brother is exempt from Irish and is probably going to get an exemption from German, the school's resource teachers say it is fine.

Yeah :D So, is anyone taking up a new sport/ keeping on at any sports or any extra curricular activities for 5th & 6th year?:)

I'm thinking of going for the Silver Medal for An Gaisce; I've did my bronze one and the journey up Sliebh Bloom mountains was absolutely hilarious, we had so much fun and so many random conversations on that mountain!:pac:

I'm doing piano as well which sound be interesting!... Hoping to learn a lot more than I did this year and quicker and prehaps I MIGHT go Green Schools again :cool:

Yeah :D So, is anyone taking up a new sport/ keeping on at any sports or any extra curricular activities for 5th & 6th year?:)

I'm thinking of going for the Silver Medal for An Gaisce; I've did my bronze one and the journey up Sliebh Bloom mountains was absolutely hilarious, we had so much fun and so many random conversations on that mountain!:pac:

I'm doing piano as well which sound be interesting!... Hoping to learn a lot more than I did this year and quicker and prehaps I MIGHT go Green Schools again :cool:

Life doesn't change much in fifth year but it changes alot when you get into sixth year.

Life doesn't change much in fifth year but it changes alot when you get into sixth year.

What changes in Sixth Year?:)

What changes in Sixth Year?:)

Lots of things. Your timetable is completely different to fifth years timetable. In fifth year I would go to school and attend every class, do all my homework and a small bit of study, dinner, play some sports or do other things for a few hours. Weekends off.

In sixth year it was; go to school and attend all classes, go to a place to study, study for about 4 hours, dinner and if you had time for sports or other things you did them. At least one day in the weekend, you are studying. You are thinking alot about the LC aswell.

• Advertisement

Lots of things. Your timetable is completely different to fifth years timetable. In fifth year I would go to school and attend every class, do all my homework and a small bit of study, dinner, play some sports or do other things for a few hours. Weekends off.

In sixth year it was; go to school and attend all classes, go to a place to study, study for about 4 hours, dinner and if you had time for sports or other things you did them. At least one day in the weekend, you are studying. You are thinking alot about the LC aswell.

Fifth year sounds just like an extension of Junior Cert for me then:)

Sixth year sounds really hard but I'm just looking forward to some independence and I cant wait to get out of school so once sixth year's done, there's only college to go:)

It sounds like I'm lucky I'm not doing TY, I can remember a good bit from 3rd year still:P

Ally7 wrote: »
    It sounds like I'm lucky I'm not doing TY, I can remember a good bit from 3rd year still:P

Seriously it'll serve you well. You'll be so far ahead of all the people who did TY and are now coming in to 5th year. Do some work experience next summer though, I did a week in A&E that was amazing (didn't make the whole year worth doing though).

I've only taken up kayaking this summer but I'm definitely keeping it up for the LC, I mean they do say people who do a sport/extracurricular activity statistclly do better Leavings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I think I'm in denial about 5th Year. I am still in TY, amn't I? AMN'T I!?

Seriously it'll serve you well. You'll be so far ahead of all the people who did TY and are now coming in to 5th year. Do some work experience next summer though, I did a week in A&E that was amazing (didn't make the whole year worth doing though).

I've only taken up kayaking this summer but I'm definitely keeping it up for the LC, I mean they do say people who do a sport/extracurricular activity statistclly do better Leavings.

Everyone is in the same boat in my school because TY isn't available anymore! I still get to do work experience in 5th year though because of LCVP, which makes me happy :)

I play GAA and basketball, so there's no shortage of extracurricular activities. I think you definitely need some sort of extracurricular activity during the school year, just to take your mind off school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I taught myself a bit of LC Maths during the pre-5th year summer holidays out of boredom. I guess I was just a bit (and still am) cool. :(

Davidius wrote: »
    I taught myself a bit of LC Maths during the pre-5th year summer holidays out of boredom. I guess I was just a bit (and still am) cool. :(

You, my friend, are the definition of cool.
    :pac:

Lol its cool to be nerds like us :P

Is anyone worried about subject choices? I'm trying to remember why I chose physics and its just not coming back to me.. :P:confused:

Ooh yeah and what course are you studying again in university.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Going into 5th year myself aswell,not doing TY because then I'd be 20 going to college(long story,we had a junior,"middle" and high infants in primary school:rolleyes:).
    Looking forward to the new subjects but it'll probably get old after a month.
    Hoping I get a new German teacher and have the same Irish teacher as I had for the JC,if not I'm gonna do everything I can to switch!

Advertisement