Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I hate PE. I really really hate PE. Why do we have to do it? Surely at 17, if we're unhealthy thats that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I hate PE. I really really hate PE. Why do we have to do it? Surely at 17, if we're unhealthy thats that?

I just get mam to write a note saying "*me* is not doing P.E this term,blah blah blah."
    Repeat note every term - Profit.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

eek.gif
    How is this possible? Can I move to your school please? pacman.gif

I know we get waaay less than da JC. Ya course you can but in June 2012 I won't be as happy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

We get to choose between PE and study :D study is fun :D

See you have a sensible school. Unlike mine where we have 2 hours religion,2 hours PE and a careers class a week. Leaving cert? What Leaving cert?!

Also am I the only one loving LC English so far..theres so much more to get your teeth into than at JC. And more themes than prejudice. Every fecking JC question "The main theme in blah blah blah is prejudice..."

Also, how feasible is Chem with a **** teacher? She just reads out of the book and when she tries to explain it she just gets more confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

See you have a sensible school. Unlike mine where we have 2 hours religion,2 hours PE and a careers class a week. Leaving cert? What Leaving cert?!

Also am I the only one loving LC English so far..theres so much more to get your teeth into than at JC. And more themes than prejudice. Every fecking JC question "The main theme in blah blah blah is prejudice..."

Also, how feasible is Chem with a **** teacher? She just reads out of the book and when she tries to explain it she just gets more confusing.

My first post since returning!

I'm really enjoying English, I love the stuff we're doing. Doing Boland atm, and I really like the way she says things, and how generally clever she is :p

The amount of work and study we have to do is so depressing.

Does anybody ever sit down for 2-3 hours to do homework and then once you've finished you realise that you haven't done much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Snap. I don't even mind careers but after this term we're doing presentation skills instead. I mean, REALLY?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Love: English, home Ec, history, P.E.
    Don't mind: R.E., Irish, maths.
    Hate: Geography and Biology.

I'm finding English and P.E. to be my escape route from the excessive amount of work we have to do, that and talking to my friends. English is the class where I voice my opinion alot and can never really be questioned because English is ALL about opinions, as long as you can back it up using quotes and the poets history; it's great!

We're studying Adrian Riche's poetry atm, loved "Aunt Jenifer's Tigers", didn't mind the one about the storm, absolutely hated "Uncle talks in the drawing room" or something along that nature. Double English is too much though, it becomes very boring.

Home ec is a new subject that I took up this year (am using it for points and am doing Higher Level) I actually love the course so far, it's a little confusing but once you sit down and learn it; it's fine.

History is again just learning things off and I can picture the events in my head like a story so I think it will be okay.

P.E. is a great laugh, unintensionally messing around with my friends while doing areobics.

The others apart from maths I've kind of let slip abit, I need to put in some work in those subjects, I neglected them until now really. The teachers I have are fairly boring too tbh.

Overall so far it's not THAT bad but it's a real shock to the system. The fact that I did Transition Year isn't affecting me at all really. I'm just the same as everyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'm in a private school if that's what you mean?.

Generally in private schools you have smaller classes, better teachers, less/no government restrictions ( P.e. / religion/ careers classes) and less people intent on messing in every class, which generally leads to more work being done. Also hours may be longer . . .

• Advertisement

I have been banned by my parents from using the internet during the week!!!:eek:

Its all part of their plan to make me work through 5th year. . . :(

Anyway, this week was grand, changed into ag science officially from economics, so glad i did way more interesting and easier, loads of overlap with biology!!!

Maths is getting more and more difficult . . . first test next tuesday, and we're moving ridiculously fast!!!

Also moving fast in english, half way through act 3, head is jammed full of quotes . . if i hear ''Our sometime sister now our queen'' one more time i might explode!!!

Irish not too good, i'm kinda going through it myself, doing the poems properly myself, cos our teacher isn't great . .
    He has told us that we'll be doing an thig na thit orm or whatever its called instead of an triail as its supposed to have easier LC questions and is marked easier apparently . ..

I'm having trouble remembering all the french i never really knew at the moment, but its starting to come back to me!!!

I'm going to be out on wednesday, thursday and friday next week, dreading having to catch up again!!! One lucky thing though, school sports day is friday, so its 8 classes less to catch up on the following week!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

So a month ago we moved home. I was home-schooled before and was really looking forward to school. I'm finding it so tough. Not academically, honestly that side is fine. It's so hard to break into niches, I've just had to throw myself into study I'm that lonely. On the plus side I've started going to our local library and things are looking up there, like-minded nerds as my brother calls them! But I want to make friends, I'm as normal as anyone is but it's impossible. I'm not a freak or anything, the only thing I can think is I am really interested in school, maybe that puts them off. But to everyone else I seem invisable. It's horrible. I've started lessons with a lady in Irish cos I thought it might help me understand this whack system, plus I figure if I am a definate A1 in languages this year I can work on everything else next. But she seems to think it'll just take time. Any tips? Please, I'm just so lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 X.Libertines.x

So a month ago we moved home. I was home-schooled before and was really looking forward to school. I'm finding it so tough. Not academically, honestly that side is fine. It's so hard to break into niches, I've just had to throw myself into study I'm that lonely. On the plus side I've started going to our local library and things are looking up there, like-minded nerds as my brother calls them! But I want to make friends, I'm as normal as anyone is but it's impossible. I'm not a freak or anything, the only thing I can think is I am really interested in school, maybe that puts them off. But to everyone else I seem invisable. It's horrible. I've started lessons with a lady in Irish cos I thought it might help me understand this whack system, plus I figure if I am a definate A1 in languages this year I can work on everything else next. But she seems to think it'll just take time. Any tips? Please, I'm just so lonely.
    that sucks, seriously, it must be harsh trying to join in fifth year... there's loads of new kids in my year this year but everyone's finding 5th year so hard no-one's really taken time to talk to them 'cause they're so busy. It's probably just the same in your year, maybe you should try join a group withtin the school or something? Y'know, debating or MUN 'cause you seem pretty academic could be good, or sport if you're sporty... running and jumping and all that ****e... effort of that though... :L

Awh,that sucks.:(
    I'd say just try and talk to the people you sit beside in class and maybe try sit with them at lunch?
    I'd agree with the poster above too, try join some groups or clubs, my friend and I joined this after school thing recently and we got talking to people to in our year that we'd usually never talk to so you never know!

Just try and join a few things if you can and try chatting to people, it's hard for everyone to make friends!
    Best of luck.:)

Coming in from home schooling must be so difficult, and moving into 5th year is hard at the best of times. Join as many things as you can for lunchtimes. Choir is a good one because theres usually time at the beginning and end to talk to people, I always found it a good way to meet people. Book clubs, film clubs, anything like that would be good. If you ask your tutor (or whatever they're called in the school you're in, the one who takes roll in the morning :P) or the librarian they can give you a run down of all the extra curricular activities that you can join. Just make sure you talk to people, I moved school before as well and I know people won't come to you! You're only 3 weeks in, don't get too discouraged!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Firstly, according to Departmental policy, you should have PE every week.

Secondly, exercise / sensible diet / decent sleep is nearly as important in terms of your LC as study ... because it will help you to concentrate / study.

Thirdly ....
    Surely at 17, if we're unhealthy thats that?
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

That must be difficult, difficult enough to move schools mid-stream but at least people will often know a couple of people in their new school.

It *will* take time, tbh, but the advice above to try and join a couple of extra-curricular clubs / activities is spot on.

And you can always drop by here and chat, there's an off-topic thread somewhere, and there's a whole general teenagers / young person's forum as well: Clearasil & Hormones

Firstly, according to Departmental policy, you should have PE every week.

Secondly, exercise / sensible diet / decent sleep is nearly as important in terms of your LC as study ... because it will help you to concentrate / study.

Thirdly ....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I bet you're on the damn rugby/hockey team aren't you? 2 hours a week making a fool out of myself with people I hate will not make me study better. I kayak. I'm nearly an adult, and I resent the government/school telling me what will make me study better. I know what makes me study better and its not running in a circle for 2 hours every week.

I bet you're on the damn rugby/hockey team aren't you?
    Yep, mega-jock, me! :cool:

Seriously, I never played hockey in my life, and only played rugby (ver-r-r-r-y casually) after heading to Uni.
    I kayak.
    Now there's one we can agree on.
    I know what makes me study better and its not running in a circle for 2 hours every week.
    Lol, in fairness, "running in a circle" would not be my recommended activity for a PE programme with teenagers!

Look, you may get your exercise outside school, and so may some others, but there are many who would never leave their chair unless forced. Childhood and teenage weight problems / obesity are on the rise in Ireland, to quite a frightening extent. (One quick stat: "In 2008 19% of teenage boys were found to be overweight compared to 6% in 1990" Source)

I would, though, be generally in favour of a system which would allow senior cycle students in particular to opt out of school-based PE if they were involved in sports outside the school ... some kind of "credits" system. The main problem would be that it would be very open to abuse unless properly monitored.

And there are umpteen studies which have shown that those who exercise regularly up to their LC or equivalent final exams (depending on country) suffer less from stress and generally out-perform those who do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭.Conor.

Urgh I hate crap teachers!

• Advertisement

Couple of people in our school new as well, must be hard going into a school in 5th year . ..

I bet you're on the damn rugby/hockey team aren't you? 2 hours a week making a fool out of myself with people I hate will not make me study better. I kayak. I'm nearly an adult, and I resent the government/school telling me what will make me study better. I know what makes me study better and its not running in a circle for 2 hours every week.

I thought i was the only one!!! :eek:

Now there's one we can agree on.

Another one!!!

P.e. Only annoys me cos occasionnally it messes with my training plan . .. like an extra session of exertion on a monday that doesnt fit in with my plan is just annoying . . .

Yay kayaking! :D

However back to talking about 5th year, how much work are you guys doing at home? I'm really worried I'm coasting like I did for JC (I got 3As and 8Bs, I did no work for any of those Bs) and I know if I do that again for LC I won't get the points I need, its just that I actually have no idea how to study, how much etc. If I need at the very minimum 550 points, how much work should I be doing? I know its only the first few weeks but everyone says you do all the work in 5th year, 6th year is just revising.

However back to talking about 5th year, how much work are you guys doing at home? I'm really worried I'm coasting like I did for JC (I got 3As and 8Bs, I did no work for any of those Bs) and I know if I do that again for LC I won't get the points I need, its just that I actually have no idea how to study, how much etc. If I need at the very minimum 550 points, how much work should I be doing? I know its only the first few weeks but everyone says you do all the work in 5th year, 6th year is just revising.

I've really been working my arse off for the past three weeks, spend around 2-3 hours doing homework daily and then reading back on what we done that day if I have time!
    The 2-3 hours are actually necessary though because we're getting that much work, I missed a day too and had so much to catch up on.

I'd say just do everything as soon as you get it, otherwise you'll be completely bogged down at the weekends doing it (As I found out yesterday.:pac: )

So far I think I'm doing alright, kind of dossed my way through Junior Cert but really working now and I know pretty much all we've done so far quite well.

I have a Biology test on Tuesday on the first 3 chapters, and I left the book in school :( So I'll be studying from the moment I finish my homework on Monday after school until I go to bed :(

I have a Biology test on Tuesday on the first 3 chapters, and I left the book in school :( So I'll be studying from the moment I finish my homework on Monday after school until I go to bed :(

Oh you poor thing. Have fun with that! :(

Oh you poor thing. Have fun with that! :(
    Thanks, I'll try :rolleyes: It's so irritating though. And if I had brought the damn book home I could've studied for it over 4 evenings, not one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'm also nedding about 550. Is it medicine you want to do? I have been taking it a bit oo easy i think the three weeks we've been back, so i think i'll take up after school study after christmas. I did no work at all for my junior cert and did okay.

It all revising in 6th year kinda depends on your subjects/teachers i guess. I'm doing chemistry and have a great teacher, so i hope that we'll have the course almost finished come may, whereas geography and biology i don't expect we'll finish until after christmas 6th year?

I'm also nedding about 550. Is it medicine you want to do? I have been taking it a bit oo easy i think the three weeks we've been back, so i think i'll take up after school study after christmas. I did no work at all for my junior cert and did okay.

It all revising in 6th year kinda depends on your subjects/teachers i guess. I'm doing chemistry and have a great teacher, so i hope that we'll have the course almost finished come may, whereas geography and biology i don't expect we'll finish until after christmas 6th year?

Yeah its medicine I'm after. I feel like although I'm doing a bit of work, I don't feel like I'm working hard enough? I did very little work for anything other than maths for JC so its the only one I know how to study hard for. I think for most of mys subjects I myself intend on being done everything my Christmas of 6th year, even if that means working ahead of the teacher and then I can start revising. How do you know when you're studying hard though? :S I don't even know how to study subjects like Chem, Biology or Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah its medicine I'm after. I feel like although I'm doing a bit of work, I don't feel like I'm working hard enough? I did very little work for anything other than maths for JC so its the only one I know how to study hard for. I think for most of mys subjects I myself intend on being done everything my Christmas of 6th year, even if that means working ahead of the teacher and then I can start revising. How do you know when you're studying hard though? :S I don't even know how to study subjects like Chem, Biology or Irish.

It's probably that you haven't covered enough to study yet. Like i got the chemistry exam papers but could only answer a couple of questions from each year. I wasted no time when i got into 5th year and dropped straight down to pass maths and irish, i took up music outside of school, as i'm no genius it made sense to try and make point grabbing a little easier on myself than even attempting higher math.

• Advertisement

Ye are both are both lucky that ye know what ye want to do when ye leave school so ye know what points ye need.. I have no idea what I want to do :(.. Thinking of music teaching :rolleyes:
    Thanks, I'll try rolleyes.gif It's so irritating though. And if I had brought the damn book home I could've studied for it over 4 evenings, not one.

Ah you surely didn't need 4 evenings to study for it :eek:

Advertisement