Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ye are both are both lucky that ye know what ye want to do when ye leave school so ye know what points ye need.. I have no idea what I want to do :(.. Thinking of music teaching :rolleyes:

Ah you surely didn't need 4 evenings to study for it :eek:

I have a test on the first 3 chapters coming up soon aswell. There really are so many simple things you forget about biology, it's a nuisance. It seems fine and i'm like yeah i know it, then your asked "What's an improperly folded protein called?" "err... em. err it begins with P?" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I have a test on the first 3 chapters coming up soon aswell. There really are so many simple things you forget about biology, it's a nuisance. It seems fine and i'm like yeah i know it, then your asked "What's an improperly folded protein called?" "err... em. err it begins with P?" confused.gif

Omg stop scaring me :( We havn't done chapter 3 yet.. I thought i'd like biology but i'm kinda regretting not doin accounting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Omg stop scaring me :( We havn't done chapter 3 yet.. I thought i'd like biology but i'm kinda regretting not doin accounting :(

Some schools would move faster because of TY, we're on the end of chapter 3 because we have a basis of it done in TY. Accounting looks vicious imo, the book is huge and the teacher in my school told the class I'll know if you're smart enough to do it by the end of the next two weeks and if you're not you can just leave.:eek: Thank God I don't do it!

I think out of all three sciences I like biology the least though, there are too many definitions and a lot of boring stuff like plants, food and ecology. Its a shame there is no separate subject like you can do just plants and stuff and then another subject where its purely human biology. That would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Ye are both are both lucky that ye know what ye want to do when ye leave school so ye know what points ye need.. I have no idea what I want to do :(.. Thinking of music teaching :rolleyes:

Ah you surely didn't need 4 evenings to study for it :eek:
    I didn't, I'd just much prefer to spend half an hour on it each evening than spend 2 hours on it on tomorrow :/ Oh well, it most likely won't take that long anyways :P

Some schools would move faster because of TY, we're on the end of chapter 3 because we have a basis of it done in TY. Accounting looks vicious imo, the book is huge and the teacher in my school told the class I'll know if you're smart enough to do it by the end of the next two weeks and if you're not you can just leave.:eek: Thank God I don't do it!

I think out of all three sciences I like biology the least though, there are too many definitions and a lot of boring stuff like plants, food and ecology. Its a shame there is no separate subject like you can do just plants and stuff and then another subject where its purely human biology. That would be amazing.

Accounting would do my head in. Physics is so great with the new log tables.

• Advertisement

Some schools would move faster because of TY, we're on the end of chapter 3 because we have a basis of it done in TY. Accounting looks vicious imo, the book is huge and the teacher in my school told the class I'll know if you're smart enough to do it by the end of the next two weeks and if you're not you can just leave.eek.gif Thank God I don't do it!

I think out of all three sciences I like biology the least though, there are too many definitions and a lot of boring stuff like plants, food and ecology. Its a shame there is no separate subject like you can do just plants and stuff and then another subject where its purely human biology. That would be amazing

Ya well we skipped food and are doing ecology because our lab is being done up. Ya I was looking at the accounting book and it looks scary but they have an AMAZING teacher. Omg I would absolutly love a subject based on human biology because I HATE plants and ecology :(. That would be sooo cool :D
    I didn't, I'd just much prefer to spend half an hour on it each evening than spend 2 hours on it on tomorrow :/ Oh well, it most likely won't take that long anyways tongue.gif

Ya thats true. It's better to do a bit each evening. Haha no I doubt it will take that long. But then again if you are as slow as me for studing then it might :rolleyes:

Omg I would absolutly love a subject based on human biology because I HATE plants and ecology :(.
    Are you me?
    But then again if you are as slow as me for studing then it might :rolleyes:
    I'm really slow :(

Are you me?
    I'm really slow frown.gif

God we have got to be twins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Yeah its medicine I'm after. I feel like although I'm doing a bit of work, I don't feel like I'm working hard enough? I did very little work for anything other than maths for JC so its the only one I know how to study hard for. I think for most of mys subjects I myself intend on being done everything my Christmas of 6th year, even if that means working ahead of the teacher and then I can start revising. How do you know when you're studying hard though? :S I don't even know how to study subjects like Chem, Biology or Irish.

Biology is justing kind of learning off, writing good notes and reading over them regularly.

Irish is more difficult; you have to try build up your vocabulary and practice speaking irish whenever possible; also RnaG and TG4 are some help. Obviously you need to know your poetry and prose notes too, but with 50% for oral and aural, the emphasis in 5th year should be on that.

Chemistry is more difficult again; you have to understand it before you can study it, and for that you need a good teacher or grinds.

I dont really know what i want, but i'm thinking pharmacy or physiotherapy at the moment, and they're quite high, so 565 should cover everything for me!!!

I aim to get it like this:

Irish: B1
    English: A2
    Biology: A1
    Ag. Science: A1
    Chemistry:A1
    French: A2
    Maths:C1 (won't be counted)

but i think i may be aiming too high!!!

but i think i may be aiming too high!!

You're aiming for what you will get already :eek:. Now thats dedication ;)

• Advertisement

God we have got to be twins :D
    I think so :D Plant biology is death
    Biology is justing kind of learning off, writing good notes and reading over them regularly.

Irish is more difficult; you have to try build up your vocabulary and practice speaking irish whenever possible; also RnaG and TG4 are some help. Obviously you need to know your poetry and prose notes too, but with 50% for oral and aural, the emphasis in 5th year should be on that.

Chemistry is more difficult again; you have to understand it before you can study it, and for that you need a good teacher or grinds.

I dont really know what i want, but i'm thinking pharmacy or physiotherapy at the moment, and they're quite high, so 565 should cover everything for me!!!

but i think i may be aiming too high!!!
    It's terrible when your 'teacher' is really boring though :(

You're aiming for what you will get already :eek:. Now thats dedication ;)

Setting goals early . .. ;)

My JC results kind of messed up what I thought I was good at so now I don't really know what marks I should get. I always get As in English and I got a B. I suck at history but I got an A, but science (one of my faves) I got a B. Maths has always been my worst subject, but I got an A in that but not in Irish. I'm just working out my points on qualifax. 550 is a LOT of points. I need

Maths or Irish, depending on how they go: B2
    English: A1
    French: A1
    Chemistry:A2
    Physics:B2

I don't know why thats looking shocking to me :eek:

My JC results kind of messed up what I thought I was good at so now I don't really know what marks I should get. I always get As in English and I got a B. I suck at history but I got an A, but science (one of my faves) I got a B. Maths has always been my worst subject, but I got an A in that but not in Irish. I'm just working out my points on qualifax. 550 is a LOT of points. I need

Junior cert means very little: the exams are so easy they have to mark them hard and that leads to tiny mistakes being punished severely.

10 A's means nothing: doesnt mean you'll get 600, 550 or even 450 in the leaving. Same as a heap of b's and c's in the junior cert doesnt mean you won't get over 400/450.

Junior cert means very little: the exams are so easy they have to mark them hard and that leads to tiny mistakes being punished severely.

10 A's means nothing: doesnt mean you'll get 600, 550 or even 450 in the leaving. Same as a heap of b's and c's in the junior cert doesnt mean you won't get over 400/450.

I'd say you're right. I know my next door neighbor was one of these 11A people who got in the newspapers and then he had to repeat the leaving. Positive thinking might be the key anyway!

Also, has anyone tried this studying in the morning idea? As in you get up at 6, study for 2 hours, leave for school at 8 and when you get home you only have homework to do? Because I'm always wrecked when I get home from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tophat

Yeah its medicine I'm after. I feel like although I'm doing a bit of work, I don't feel like I'm working hard enough? I did very little work for anything other than maths for JC so its the only one I know how to study hard for. I think for most of mys subjects I myself intend on being done everything my Christmas of 6th year, even if that means working ahead of the teacher and then I can start revising. How do you know when you're studying hard though? :S I don't even know how to study subjects like Chem, Biology or Irish.

Hi everyone
    thought id stop stalking this thread and post something already:)
    yep, im after medicine as well, worried about the HPAT though...
    i know its quite oxymoronic, getting grinds for a test thats (supposedly) meant to mark you on qualities you cant really learn from a book- but it defo cant hurt...any opinions on said grinds would be much appreciated:D

tophat wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    thought id stop stalking this thread and post something already:)
    yep, im after medicine as well, worried about the HPAT though...
    i know its quite oxymoronic, getting grinds for a test thats (supposedly) meant to mark you on qualities you cant really learn from a book- but it defo cant hurt...any opinions on said grinds would be much appreciated:D

Certainly worked for this girl!
    http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/secondtime-lucky-for-grind-students-after-hpat-furore-2263844.html

OMG ye are all after medicine..
    I feel soo stupid now. Ye must all be so brainy :eek:

I'm not after medicine! :D

I'm not after medicine! :D

What are you after? :)

• Advertisement

What are you after? :)
    Not too sure really, thinking either social work or secondary school teaching. Either way I want to do it in France :) Seriously though, the results average here seems to be around 595.
    What're you after?

Not too sure really, thinking either social work or secondary school teaching. Either way I want to do it in France :) Seriously though, the results average here seems to be around 595.
    What're you after?

I'm not really sure either. Thinking of secondary school teaching music and maybe business. Don't think I have the confidence to become a teacher though :(.. I'd love to travel and teach in other countries in particular the USA.. Awh France would be soo cool :D but would you have to do everything through french.. I know the amount of points some people are after are unbelievable :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

What're you after?

I wanted to do teaching too but heard it can be really hard to get a job even after you've finished!:(

No idea what I wanna do now, probably business, IT/Computer engineering or mechanical engineering.

France? What are the requirements like for colleges over there?

I wanted to do teaching too but heard it can be really hard to get a job even after you've finished!:(

No idea what I wanna do now, probably business, IT/Computer engineering or mechanical engineering.

Ya thats the only thing about teaching. I'd say it would be very hard to get a job. I was thinking of business too but I think it would be hard to get a job in that too :(

I'm not really sure either. Thinking of secondary school teaching music and maybe business. Don't think I have the confidence to become a teacher though :(.. I'd love to travel and teach in other countries in particular the USA.. Awh France would be soo cool :D but would you have to do everything through french.. I know the amount of points some people are after are unbelievable :eek:
    Confidence is an issue, considering the way we treat teachers!
    And yeah, but I wanna live in France!
    storm2811 wrote: »

France? What are the requirements like for colleges over there?
    I have no idea tbh, I wanna go to uni here and then move there. I know what you mean about job prospects, but look, we've 2 years in school, 3 in uni (4 for me, cuz i'll doing arts international if i do teaching) and then a 1 year h dip. I'm sure the recession'll be almost over by then

Confidence is an issue, considering the way we treat teachers!
    And yeah, but I wanna live in France!

Ya i know some teachers are treated sooo bad but I don't know what other career to take :rolleyes:.. Ya I really wana live in NY :D (probably not gonna happen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Ya thats the only thing about teaching. I'd say it would be very hard to get a job. I was thinking of business too but I think it would be hard to get a job in that too :(

Yeah but I've always wanted to open a book shop so it'd come in handy there, that won't happen for ages anyway!:pac:

I have no idea tbh, I wanna go to uni here and then move there. I know what you mean about job prospects, but look, we've 2 years in school, 3 in uni (4 for me, cuz i'll doing arts international if i do teaching) and then a 1 year h dip. I'm sure the recession'll be almost over by then

It better be!
    A friend of mine finished college and everything, was a fully qualified History teacher and couldn't get one job for two years! Now she's in Australia working on a farm, it's mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I'm not. Noway would I get anywhere near those kind of results. :(

I'll take anything at this stage.

It's easier to count on getting an A1 in chemistry or physics than Enlglish or French i would imagine.

I would also love to study Pharmacy, 565 or whatever seems unbankable for me. Perhaps if i'm lucky on the day i could get the 530/535 and just maybe slip in!

• Advertisement

Is anyone having trouble remembering HOW to study after TY. I have this Biology book and Chemistry in front of me and I know I can't just read it because thats a waste of time but its too complex for mind map things. What do I do?

Advertisement