Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Do you do honours maths? :eek:
    Ya I'm thinking of dropping LCVP too because our teacher is awful :(

Yep, I love maths and I find it grand so far anyway! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

We did the first 3 chapters of biology and then skipped 4, 5 and 6 for now. So we're already on the cell.

I intend to take 6 higher: English, geography, chemistry, biology, german and music.

And of course pass maths and irish. Pass Maths really is fantastic :D:D

Do you do honours maths? :eek:
    Ya I'm thinking of dropping LCVP too because our teacher is awful :(

There are 2 classes of lcvp and 1 class of guidance on at the same time in my year. There are 37 people in guidance..... It's good fun, twice a week where instead of studying and learing as much as you can you can enjoy the total carnage of people jumping out of windows, chairs flying across the room and the occasional banger going off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Ally7 wrote: »
    We get like max 2 tests per year with our biology teacher :D Unfortunately it's fairly boring...............

Doing 7 honours and hope to keep them all up! Dropped LCVP today though, thank God!

Why did you drop LCVP?I dunno, I don't think it's that bad tbh, looking forward to the work experience and the enterprise project.
    Ya biology isn't too bad. Our teacher is a bit crazy though :rolleyes: and god she knows how to roar :eek:.. Haha he's 56 and he jumps around the place :D I would love to see him :pac: Is history not really hard? :eek:

Ya I suppose it's a lot alright but I kind of want to do 6 :pac: Ya I'm finding honours maths IMPOSSIBLE so I said i'd drop down. And irish is really hard too :(. I'm doing french which isn't too bad so far. Our french teacher is brilliant :). No i don't do engineeing thank god. Do you?

Ugh, our maths teacher is kinda like that, I asked her for help today and she leaned in over my desk and her afro was shoved in my face for ages.:pac:
    Yeah, I heard he was strict at first but turns out he's great craic!

Nah, it's just a lot of writing, kind of like English where you have interpret stuff and I like English and love History so it's going pretty well.:D
    Yeah, I'm not the best at maths(algebra :mad: ), I like it though as long as I know what I'm doing and how to do it. What do ye actually do in honours maths for the leaving? I think some of the pass LC course is the same as the honours JC course.
    My German teacher is crap, I actually don't do anything in her class and go home later to get lessons off my mam, heh heh. Nah I don't, kind of wish I kept it up though but the teacher was a total sexist arse.
    We did the first 3 chapters of biology and then skipped 4, 5 and 6 for now. So we're already on the cell.

I intend to take 6 higher: English, geography, chemistry, biology, german and music.

And of course pass maths and irish. Pass Maths really is fantastic :D:D

Oh right, we started off with the cell, seems like all of us have covered the same stuff though at this stage.

Does everyone else only have one LCVP teacher?
    Ours is set out kind of weird, we have one for careers, one for enterprise and one for the IT part of it, all the typing and the CV and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

There are 2 classes of lcvp and 1 class of guidance on at the same time in my year. There are 37 people in guidance..... It's good fun, twice a week where instead of studying and learing as much as you can you can enjoy the total carnage of people jumping out of windows, chairs flying across the room and the occasional banger going off.

Haha ya we just sit there making a mockery out of our teacher (thats if he even shows up for class :rolleyes:).. You're lcvp class sounds a lot wilder than ours though :P
    Why did you drop LCVP?I dunno, I don't think it's that bad tbh, looking forward to the work experience and the enterprise project.

Ya I suppose it isn't too bad. Ya i'm kinda looking forward to the work experience too. What are you doing for yours?
    Yeah, I'm not the best at maths(algebra mad.gif ), I like it though as long as I know what I'm doing and how to do it. What do ye actually do in honours maths for the leaving?

Well we started of with factorising, algebra etc at the start which was grand. Now we're doing something which I have no clue how to do. I'd say
    if I had a good teacher it would be easy :mad: but our teacher is useless!!
    Does everyone else only have one LCVP teacher?

We only have one lcvp teacher and he is such a pain in the arse :(. The other 5th year class got the better one :(

• Advertisement

Ya I suppose it isn't too bad. Ya i'm kinda looking forward to the work experience too. What are you doing for yours?

Not sure yet, wanted to do it in a bookshop for a while but then I thought about how you need to have a career path thing and it wouldn't be likely that I'd just hop out of college and open a bookshop.:pac:
    Maybe in a garage or a dentists office, not sure yet!
    What are you thinking of doing?
    Well we started of with factorising, algebra etc at the start which was grand. Now we're doing something which I have no clue how to do. I'd say
    if I had a good teacher it would be easy :mad: but our teacher is useless!!
    Yeah it gets so confusing sometimes, and if you miss a class then you're fecked and so lost!
    Hate crap teachers..and maths..when will we ever need to use all these equations ever again after the leaving?Neveeeer.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Not sure yet, wanted to do it in a bookshop for a while but then I thought about how you need to have a career path thing and it wouldn't be likely that I'd just hop out of college and open a bookshop.pacman.gif
    Maybe in a garage or a dentists office, not sure yet!
    What are you thinking of doing?

O ya you want to open up your own bookshop don't you.. Does the work experience have to be related to the career investigation thing? I'm not sure yet either. Thinking of going to my old primary school (god help me :rolleyes:) but i dunno yet.
    Yeah it gets so confusing sometimes, and if you miss a class then you're fecked and so lost!
    Hate crap teachers..and maths..when will we ever need to use all these equations ever again after the leaving?Neveeeer.pacman.gif

Ya thats the problem I missed class on wednesday and now I am totally lost :(.. And i also REALLY hate crap teachers and maths :(.. Ya exactly maths is totally useless. Once you can add, subtract, multiply and divide thats all you need :pac:

O ya you want to open up your own bookshop don't you.. Does the work experience have to be related to the career investigation thing? I'm not sure yet either. Thinking of going to my old primary school (god help me :rolleyes:) but i dunno yet.
    Yeah,it's a distant dream..:pac:
    I'm not sure, I think everything has to tie in together, or it's better to focus on one career or something like that.
    Ha,cool, a load of us were talking about doing that too because we spent all of P.E. just talking about primary school, would bring back all the memories.

The kids though, I worked in a creche one summer..dear god the noise.:pac:

Ya thats the problem I missed class on wednesday and now I am totally lost :(.. And i also REALLY hate crap teachers and maths :(.. Ya exactly maths is totally useless. Once you can add, subtract, multiply and divide thats all you need :pac:
    Ah I know how it is, then even when ya get the notes you're still kinda confused because it's not explained fully!:(
    Yeah that's all ya need! Knowing the interest rate thing and the currency conversion is handy enough too but meh..not essential!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ye do work experience in 5th year? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Its that LCVP thing, lot of schools don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

The only thing I didn't like about LCVP was the way the points are different, seemed ok if you were going for kind of middle points but you can't get over 70 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

What's this talk about work experience?

The only thing I didn't like about LCVP was the way the points are different, seemed ok if you were going for kind of middle points but you can't get over 70 in it.

And it can be difficult to get the 70 due to the huge amount of people applying for it, all writing up the exact same things.

storm2811 wrote: »

I really hated it, the class was boring and when I can only get max. 70 points (which isn't even that easy to do) I said I might as well give it up. 3 free classes a week now :D

Does anybody here do Economics?

I really hated it, the class was boring and when I can only get max. 70 points (which isn't even that easy to do) I said I might as well give it up. 3 free classes a week now :D

Oooh 3 free classes!:D
    Meh, if I quit I'd have to do careers instead, plus I'd prob need the points because I'll do terrible in German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'd be freaked to have to look for more work experience tbh, getting a single week in a solicitors was hard enough...

Where's everyone going for their's? I'm going to a hospital hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Does anybody here do Economics?
    I do, don't have a clue what's going on though :rolleyes:

Hospital=amazing work experience, did it in TY. Try and find yourself a med student, they like being on top of someone for a change (when I was there it was so funny, they spent their days getting made fun of/told they're wrong by the year above them and regstrars) and they will bring you places. :D Have fun, but make sure to get all your applications in as fast as possible, they're really hard to get into unless you know someone in the hospital. I don't know anyone who works in a hospital, I wrote 18 letters!

• Advertisement

We have to do guidance classes if you don't want to/qualify for lcvp.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Does anyone think it would be possible to get between 350-370 points in leaving with

Honours:
    English
    Chemistry
    Business
    Acctouncy

and
    Pass:
    Irish
    Maths
    French

Might seem like low points to some people buts its all I really need for what I want:o

Princessxx wrote: »
    Does anyone think it would be possible to get between 350-370 points in leaving with

Honours:
    English
    Chemistry
    Business
    Acctouncy

and
    Pass:
    Irish
    Maths
    French

Might seem like low points to some people buts its all I really need for what I want:o

Definitely possible if you work at it!
    I'm the same as you 4 honours and 3 pass, you should be able to get those points if you try.:)

Princessxx wrote: »

Honours:
    English
    Chemistry
    Business
    Acctouncy

and
    Pass:
    Irish
    Maths
    French

If you aimed to get C1's in all your honours and B's in pass maths and irish are well acheivable.

Joey. wrote: »
    I do, don't have a clue what's going on though :rolleyes:
    :( Is it hard? I think I'm gonna do it outside school

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

:( Is it hard? I think I'm gonna do it outside school
    I honestly couldn't tell you, we haven't had any tests yet and all we've been doing is taking notes from a projector...it seems manageable enough :confused:

I finished all my physics notes! I have never been this organized in my life, I even have folders this year!

Physics is actually such a nice subject, I don't know why it gets such a hard rap because its fairly easy as things go. The other nice thing is that you can revise in your everyday life, like I don't regularly run into strontium salt flames, but I see mirrors every day and it reminds me of how they work and stuff! I'm just happy with my subject choices, I was so worried about physics! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Ah I love physics too, spent yesterday organising the folders too, such a good feeling. Took some time off today for myself, was such a joy! Feel on top of things, long may this last, only subject I worried about really was Irish cos I can speak it but was not sure on written but found myself a guru so am sorted please God. Tests this week in most subjects so we'll see how well the teachers think I'm doing!

Chemistry > Physics > The Nazi Regime > Biology.

The sad thing is, I actually like biology, I find human anatomy really interesting, my biology teacher just ruins everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Chemistry > Physics > The Nazi Regime > Biology.

The sad thing is, I actually like biology, I find human anatomy really interesting, my biology teacher just ruins everything.
    Poor strawberry head biology teacher :P

Advertisement