Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Gah, Im in 5th year, with a major TY Hangover :( it actually sucks like xD

I should have done TY :( Im too tired after the JC :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

After 6 weeks of school I decided today to drop out of German and take up Construction on Monday. An Excellent start if i do say so myself. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Is anyone else still doing Geibheann or is my class just incredibly slow? :(

Depends when you started it really . . .

School is really beginning to annoy me now.. I got kicked out of study for asking what the Geography homework was!! >:(.. So fu***** raged!!. And we've been doing Hamlet about 3 weeks and only finished Act I Scene II today!.

On the plus side I got an A2 in my English Essay and 100% in my Geography test!. Only good thing to come out of this shi** week

We've finished hamlet and are doing long questions on it. Starting poetry next week.

Got 100% in my last Irish and biology tests but 46% in maths on tuesday . . .:(

Anyone else do the prism maths test on thursday???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CosmicPoison

Im staring Hamlet Monday, we've done 2 poets up till now. . .
    Biology is grand! :D Thank god. . .As is music, ''studying'' Queen is just listening to music like xD
    I did Prism Thursday :) Messed up a few questions, but overall not too bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭SportsGreatest

I did Prism yesterday, but I'm in third year, so I probably got different questions than you. It was grand, I had to guess a few questions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

How have people already done so much in English? We've just finished Act 1 of Hamlet, and we've also done 3 poems. Honestly, is my class going ridiculously slowly or what?
    We've also only done The Mole Concept and Rates of Reaction in Chemistry, is that slow? :/
    And in Maths (OL) we just finished Complex Numbers and started Algebra I last Tuesday.

I feel like we're moving tediously slowly in these subjects, how much progress has everyone else made in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

So far in English we've done Dancing at Lughnasa, about 4 poems and just doing advertising/media now.
    Our teacher gives us feck all notes though, just rambles and rambles and that's it, depends on the teacher I suppose.

Oh and in maths we've done complex numbers and just in the middle of geometry now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

In English we finished Act I, Sylvia Plath's poetry and a couple of essays/comprehensions.

In Maths (OL) we've done Arithmetic, Algebra 1, Co-ordinate Geometry and started Complex Numbers on Friday..

I don't do chem, but my best friend does and they've covered the mole, some stocihometry?. i think and a good few other things 4/5 chapters as far as I know

Anyone get the new project maths book yet? Saw my teacher with it the other day, havent started using it though we're still on paper 1 stuff . ..

Anyone get the new project maths book yet? Saw my teacher with it the other day, havent started using it though we're still on paper 1 stuff . ..
    It comes with Concise Maths, so my class all have it. We haven't used it yet though.

• Advertisement

I was actually gonna create a new thread asking this.. No point now though :p

But no we haven't started anything yet, we don't even have a book.. We don't use books anyway so I doubt we'll be getting one :cool:

We've covered co-ordinate geometry this year and I think that's always Paper 2 Q 2.. Nothing was mentioned about any changes to it though..

My cousin went to one of the pilot schools that set Project Maths this year and she said it was p*** easy.. She jumped from a D2 in her mocks to an A2 in the Leaving. But i think they were marking them a lot easier..

We're gonna be really fuc*** when it comes to this time next year we'll only have like 4 sample papers we'll never predict what's gonna come up.. And I really needed an A2 in Maths for points... Looks unlikely now however.

:(

Has anyone else started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

In Irish we just finished Geibheann after starting it the week we got back, and we've done a bit of Aimsir Caite.

In English, we're about half way through act two of Hamlet, we're done Kavanagh. We've done a good bit of language/reading comprehensions as well

In Biology we've done Food, The Cell, Cell Diversity, The scientific method and the Plant Transport chapter.

In Physics we just finished all of optics

In maths we just finished the 2 algebra chapters and the inequality chapter and we're doing the part A exam questions. I'm on my second A4 pad already!

In Chemistry we've done the atom and the periodic table chapter.

All together we've actually done loads when I write it all out except for Irish and Chem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

In irish we've done An Triail, all the verb tenses and a few pieces for the oral.

Biology, scientific method, food the cell and enzymes.

Nearly finished chemical bonding in Chemistry.

In English we're half-way through Act 3 of Hamlet and we're starting poetry after that.

We've done 8 chapters in geography, on to weathering now.

Starting Indices on Monday in maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

Depends when you started it really . . .

We've finished hamlet and are doing long questions on it. Starting poetry next week.

Got 100% in my last Irish and biology tests but 46% in maths on tuesday . . .:(

Anyone else do the prism maths test on thursday???

How have your class finishes hamlet already?? We just finished it now and I'm in sixth year. Honestly it probably better not to do it that quickly. You won't have had time to digest each scene or understand what going on. Like, your teacher must've just done hamlet for the whole month and a bit non stop... I'd worry about the way teach being the best way of doing things but sure what do I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

In Irish, we've covered Geibheann and looked at a good few comrehensions and essays about the recession.

In Maths we've covered Algebra 1 and 2 and are starting trigonometry on monday.

In English, were about half way through Eavan Boland and have done about three or four essays.

In French, we have revised all the tenses, done a bit of tape and covered me, my family and my friends in oral.

In Biology we've covered the scientific method, cell structure, osmosis and diffusion, blood and the heart

In Music we've just finished going through the score for Boch's cantata + a bit of practical and a tiny bit of composition

In geography we've covered Plate tectonics, earthquakes and volcanos.

Anybody think im falling behind in any subjects?
    thanks in advance, apc

ruadhan wrote: »
    How have your class finishes hamlet already?? We just finished it now and I'm in sixth year. Honestly it probably better not to do it that quickly. You won't have had time to digest each scene or understand what going on. Like, your teacher must've just done hamlet for the whole month and a bit non stop... I'd worry about the way teach being the best way of doing things but sure what do I know.

Yeah, we did it every day for the last 6 weeks, we were tested on it and made learn summaryies and quotes and stuff the whole time and now we're doing questions with 6 page answers, but we'll probably have forgotten it by this time next year.

Is anyone else doing history?Just wondering where everyone else is in it atm.
    We've just finished the rising and just started the rise of Sinn Fein/Fall of Home Rule thing the other day.

storm2811 wrote: »
    We've just finished the rising and just started the rise of Sinn Fein/Fall of Home Rule thing the other day.

Not doing it but some of my friends are, they didnt start on that part of the course though sorry . . .

apc wrote: »

In geography we've covered Plate tectonics, earthquakes and volcanos.

You seem to be mocing a little bit slow in this seeing as you have regional geo, your elective and option to do..

Wait till you start your Option Q. We took Geoecology just finished it there.. It is soooo boring all about soils and that crack..

In geography we've done

1. Earth's Structure
    2. Plate Tectonics
    3. Volcanoes
    4. Earthquakes
    5. Geoecology Composition
    6. Geoecology Characteristicts
    7. Geoecology Processes
    8. Geoecology Classification
    9. Geoecology Human Interference

Not doing it but some of my friends are, they didnt start on that part of the course though sorry . . .

Fudge, I forgot about that, like there's 4 different sections or something.:o

• Advertisement

So far:

Irish - Geibhean, colscaradh, some reading comprehensions and grammar.

English -Hamlet finished

Maths - All of Algebra ( chapters 1 and 4 in text and tests 4)

French - Revision of loads of J.C. stuff, doing diaries now.

Biology - Cells, cell division and some of enzymes done as well as 2 more experiments from other parts of the course.

Chemistry - up to chapter 5 in chemistry live, i think its chemical bonding? we;re just finished that now anyway.

Ag. Science - potatoes, cattle sheep and pig breeds, rearing calves, weeds done and halfway through soil now.

Irish - Not too sure, just moved to honours on Thursday. They've done 3 poets, I have to get the notes and learn them over midterm! :( We're doing Oisín in Tír na nÓg now.

English - Act 1 of Hamlet, 3 of Boland's poems

Maths - Complex numbers, just started Algebra I

French - Adjectives, Moi-meme, Ma famille, Mon quartier, Chez-moi, Présent, Passé Composé, Imparfait, currently working on Journal Intimes.

Biology - The Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Food, The Cell, Cell Diversity, Enzymes, Advanced Enzymes, Respiration

Chemistry - The Mole Concept, Rates of Reaction

Business - Covered Unit 1 and Unit 2, starting Unit 3 on Monday.

My teachers are all really good apart from my Biology teacher and my current Chemistry teacher (my actual Chem teacher who's fantastic went on maternity leave at the end of September, but she'll be back for next year) and my English teacher is really good but she doesn't give us any homework which is actually bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

storm2811 wrote: »

We're doing dictators, atm. We have about 4 chapters covered. Stalin and Lenin are done and we're on Mussolini now.
    Fairly sure I did it all last year, but I can't remember.:pac:

Delighted I stuck with history again, we're going to Belfast and Derry for a weekend in December and possibly Russia for a few days next year.:D

Biology - The Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Food, The Cell, Cell Diversity, Enzymes, Advanced Enzymes, Respiration

My teachers are all really good apart from my Biology teacher and my current Chemistry teacher

They cant be that bad if you've covered all that!!!

They cant be that bad if you've covered all that!!!
    Trust me, he's bad! He just reads through the chapter, makes us do an exam question at the end of the chapter and then moves on! >: (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CosmicPoison

apc wrote: »

Anybody think im falling behind in any subjects?

Dont think your falling behind somehow :P

Anybody have advice for someone with a crap french teacher? :S Im getting worried, to say the least, about those orals :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Anyone know what question on the LC paper covers inequalities? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

M&S* wrote: »
    Anyone know what question on the LC paper covers inequalities? :confused:

Q1 and 2 of paper one :)

Does anyone have the problem that they spend all day studying and then forget it 3 hours later?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Great, thanks.

Sorry.:P

Try breaking whatever you're trying to learn into a mind map or short bullet points. Works for me whenever I do it.

Advertisement