Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You seem to be mocing a little bit slow in this seeing as you have regional geo, your elective and option to do..

Wait till you start your Option Q. We took Geoecology just finished it there.. It is soooo boring all about soils and that crack..

In geography we've done

1. Earth's Structure
    2. Plate Tectonics
    3. Volcanoes
    4. Earthquakes
    5. Geoecology Composition
    6. Geoecology Characteristicts
    7. Geoecology Processes
    8. Geoecology Classification
    9. Geoecology Human Interference
    O wow I've missed you -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

baz2009 wrote: »
    Sorry.:P

Try breaking whatever you're trying to learn into a mind map or short bullet points. Works for me whenever I do it.
    I actually woke up this morning remember everything, happy out!
    Namlub wrote: »
    O wow I've missed you -.-
    I'm suprised he hasn't already finished the courses for all of his subjects :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

My essay that I have to write tells me to write from the child in the cars perspective, can I write him as being grown up remembering the story?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

baz2009 wrote: »
    Sorry.:P

Try breaking whatever you're trying to learn into a mind map or short bullet points. Works for me whenever I do it.

Anki is what I use, based off an SRS (Spaced Repetition System)

Find it works wonders, have 2 Spanish flashcard decks, Irish deck, Physics, Bio and Chemistry.

Nothing better for studying imo, and as long as you're keeping it up every day, there's only an hour max work, and i find i remember everythin pretty easily :)

I realise this sounds like spam, but I'm really loving it, been using it since the start of 5th year each day!

RHRN wrote: »
    Anki is what I use, based off an SRS (Spaced Repetition System)

Find it works wonders, have 2 Spanish flashcard decks, Irish deck, Physics, Bio and Chemistry.

Nothing better for studying imo, and as long as you're keeping it up every day, there's only an hour max work, and i find i remember everythin pretty easily :)

I realise this sounds like spam, but I'm really loving it, been using it since the start of 5th year each day!
    What exactly do you do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Opportunity.

What exactly do you do?

I would also like to know what you do. It sounds interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Okay, for example lets take Chemistry chapter 4. In my book, thats The Periodic Table.

You take the relevant information and input it into Anki in question and answer format e.g. in the "Front" field you type:

What is the modern version of the periodic law?

And in the "Back" field:

That when the elements are arranged by increasing atomic number, the properties vary periodically.

You do this for all the material you wish to cover, then click done.
    Then, you begin later that day with 20 flashcards (recommended at the beginning) and the computer asks you those 20 flashcards in turn. you click after saying/writing/typing the answer. If you got it wrong, click "again". If you got it right, click Hard, Good, or Easy depending on how quick you knew the answer.

Based on what you click first, and on subequent clicks, the program knows how long it is to wait until you should review it again. From this, it follows that you must do it (run the program and see what to review) every day! Or its absoulutely useless! No good doing it 3/4 times a week. Every day. Preferably twice a day (I do it at 7pm and 10pm) For example, it took me 35 mins today, and 45 yesterday to go over ALL my Spanish, Irish, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Hamlet quotes (also an extra deck of Spanish words found in newspapers frequently)

I hope this explains it, if not try the website..
    http://ichi2.net/anki/

Cant speak highly enough of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Does anyone have the problem that they spend all day studying and then forget it 3 hours later?

Never had that problem cos i've never spent all day or anything near it studying . .:P

Does anyone have the problem that they spend all day studying and then forget it 3 hours later?

How are you studying? Make sure you are writing stuff down as you go. Also maybe you are doing too much study? 3 hours including about an hours homework is all I can do before I just can't focus anymore. You might also be studying too late at night (ie past 9)

Never had that problem cos i've never spent all day or anything near it studying . .:P
    By all day I meant about 2 hours :rolleyes:
    How are you studying? Make sure you are writing stuff down as you go. Also maybe you are doing too much study? 3 hours including about an hours homework is all I can do before I just can't focus anymore. You might also be studying too late at night (ie past 9)
    I actually woke up the next morning remembering everything, got an A2 on the test! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

Thanks for the link to the flash card thing. Going to give it a go. :)
    In terms how far we've gotten the first term:

English: Almost done Act 2, Scene 2 in Hamlet.
    Maths: Done algebra 1 and almost done 2, at least I hope.
    Irish: (Ordinary) Done that poem on Captivity.. some letters.. some oral bits done. Doesn't feel we've got a lot done. >.>
    Physics: All of Mechanics done. Legend teacher. :)
    History: Done Decolonisation of India for the Documents Question. Also waiting for my two books to read my History project to arrive.
    Business: On the Maslow and McGregor's Theories on Motivation, it's not too bad at all.
    Chemistry: On Chemical Bonding (chapter 5 or 6? Not too sure.), starting electronegativity on it I think now.
    LCVP: Teambuilding trip done and about 3-4 (small) teambuilding tasks in school. Need to write up the first proper report for mid-term.

I do hope we're keeping up. Worried about Irish, since our old teacher is gone on maternity leave and this new one is completely useless...

All my Irish teacher does is sit there and translate things from the book, she won't even get up to write stuff on the board, and I'm a really visual person, so I haven't a clue whats going on unless I can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Does anyone else feel like they shouldn't have done TY? It's just life in 5th year seems to be all bloody work and people who went straight from 3rd year to 5th year don't seem to be feeling so bad please say Im not the only one feeling this?:confused:

Anyone else have tests this week?

All went grand except maths and chemistry which were complete disasters . . .pass maths here i come!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

wooooooop! mid term! on and princessxx don't feel regretful for not doing ty. i felt like that at the start of the year but then I realised that most of the tys are on the same boat as us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

C1 in my English mid-term test. Fudge yeah!:D
    I'm finding Geography fairly easy so far, tbh. Quite disappointed that I didn't pay attention in 1st, 2nd and 3rd year.
    I'm gonna fail my business, absolute joke of a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I've just discovered one of the biggest mistakes I'll ever make in school, throwing out all my JC notes.
    I was just there in the summer throwing every single copy out thinnking "HAHA, I'll never need this stuff again!!"
    How wrong I was.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Maths: All of Algebra ,Logarithms
    Irish: Géibheann, An tEarrach Thiar, Cáca Milis, mé féin, mo scoil, mo theach, mo rogha slí beatha (all oral), fóiregéin (aiste)
    English: Paper 1 material, Kavanagh
    Biology: The Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Cell Structure, Cell Metabolism, Biochemical Reactions.
    Chemistry: The Atom, Arrangement of Electrons, The Periodic Table, Tests for Anions
    Music: Bohemian Rhapsody, harmony (fully finished), melody (started), three of our pieces for the practical exam
    German: 2 Roleplays, 1 essay and a lot of tape!

Ithink weve done very little imho:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Maths: All of Algebra ,Logarithms
    Irish: Géibheann, An tEarrach Thiar, Cáca Milis, mé féin, mo scoil, mo theach, mo rogha slí beatha (all oral), fóiregéin (aiste)
    English: Paper 1 material, Kavanagh
    Biology: The Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Cell Structure, Cell Metabolism, Biochemical Reactions.
    Chemistry: The Atom, Arrangement of Electrons, The Periodic Table, Tests for Anions
    Music: Bohemian Rhapsody, harmony (fully finished), melody (started), three of our pieces for the practical exam
    German: 2 Roleplays, 1 essay and a lot of tape!

Ithink weve done very little imho:D

You've done quite a bit for music, and more than my class in German (which i moved out of recently)

By all day I meant about 2 hours :rolleyes:

I actually woke up the next morning remembering everything, got an A2 on the test! :D

And I remembered everything.
    And I got an A2 on the test.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of starting studying for christmas tests.. Irish especially. God, I hate 5th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I'm thinking of starting studying for christmas tests.. Irish especially. God, I hate 5th year.

Already? :eek: I suppose I should really start myself :rolleyes:
    I don't get what we are supposed to know for irish? Our teacher hasnt told us what we are supposed to be learning she just flies through everything.

Giant Kavanagh essay= DEFEATED!!

I seriously have no opinions on his work. I think its boring, and its very hard to write 4 pages of personal response on something you really didn't respond at all to!

Already? :eek: I suppose I should really start myself :rolleyes:
    I don't get what we are supposed to know for irish? Our teacher hasnt told us what we are supposed to be learning she just flies through everything.
    Just for Irish. I'm just after moving to honours, 2 weeks before the mid-term, and I really need to tackle some ground work for when the tests come around!

I seriously have no opinions on his work. I think its boring, and its very hard to write 4 pages of personal response on something you really didn't respond at all to!
    Yeah, the poets are tedious alright. I seriously wish Boland had just become a housewife like all of the other women back then!

Just for Irish. I'm just after moving to honours, 2 weeks before the mid-term, and I really need to tackle some ground work for when the tests come around!

Yeah, the poets are tedious alright. I seriously wish Boland had just become a housewife like all of the other women back then!

Boland's not the worst, imo. All ya have to do is write about feminism and violence and stuff :cool: We're doing some guy called Philip Larkin?? :confused: Never heard of him til like before the midterm. Kinda dreading Kavanagh though from what crayolastereos saying :p

yamadeejit wrote: »
    Boland's not the worst, imo. All ya have to do is write about feminism and violence and stuff :cool: We're doing some guy called Philip Larkin?? :confused: Never heard of him til like before the midterm. Kinda dreading Kavanagh though from what crayolastereos saying :p

She's soo boring! I did enjoy two of her poems tbh, but the rest are shít! What's Larkin like? I hope Yeats is on our course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

INORITE. The four poems we did after Inniskeen Road are basically him saying 'Ahh isn't everything lovely', it's completely inane. But obviously I can't say that...
    She's soo boring! I did enjoy two of her poems tbh, but the rest are shít! What's Larkin like? I hope Yeats is on our course!
    Do you not know what's on your course yet?? :confused:

INORITE. The four poems we did after Inniskeen Road are basically him saying 'Ahh isn't everything lovely', it's completely inane. But obviously I can't say that...

I brought up the bright stick as being silly. :P

Yeah its just a bit ridiculous, he goes from hating the world to 'tra la la la la I love canals and bunny rabbits and babies!':rolleyes:

Nope :D We weren't told and I dunno where to look for it.

• Advertisement

When do ye all do your christmas tests? We dont do ours until the last 3 days before christmas, so i wont start worrying about them for another while yet . . .

Advertisement