Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Just saw the other thread now!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

When do ye all do your christmas tests? We dont do ours until the last 3 days before christmas, so i wont start worrying about them for another while yet . . .

Like 2 weeks :rolleyes: I'll start the studying like next week lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

When do ye all do your christmas tests? We dont do ours until the last 3 days before christmas, so i wont start worrying about them for another while yet . . .

Apparantly ours start 1st of december this year :confused: But yeah we'v always had them very last 3 days of school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Apparantly ours start 1st of december this year :confused: But yeah we'v always had them very last 3 days of school.
    Last 3 days?! Ours are like proper sitting-in-the-hall exam situation tests that go on for a week and half, jeez

Namlub wrote: »
    Last 3 days?! Ours are like proper sitting-in-the-hall exam situation tests that go on for a week and half, jeez

So you have like 1 exam a day?

• Advertisement

So you have like 1 exam a day?
    Pretty much, depending on subjects like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

So are ours but we dont have classes when they are on, and we do 4 3 or 4 exams a day . . .

Yeah we're in the hall and everything aswell, but we have tests from 9 until half 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

We haven't been told when we're having ours yet! It's really annoying me, because I want to know.
    Btw, to all of those who have been told about them already: do they give you a timetable or something for which tests you have on which days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Wow, all your Xmas tests are so serious! We'll be told when our class tests are about a week before I'd say :o

• Advertisement

Ours aren't for another fúcking six weeks :( We're gonna have so much work covered, they're gonna be so hard to study for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Wow, all your Xmas tests are so serious! We'll be told when our class tests are about a week before I'd say redface.gif

Haha same here :rolleyes:

Just conquered my first bit of study towards xmas tests... Well proud :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

We never get our timetables until like a week before the actual exams, but they're still a big deal.

Wait, why am I on boards? I thought I was doing Irish verbs?

*gets slap round the head from self"
    *BACK TO THINE STUDIES, CRAYOLASTEREO!!!!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Our christmas tests are always on the 22nd and 23rd of December, I hate them though, they even give them to junior and leaving certs!

I have an essay on Heaney to do for the weekend (bleehh) and an essay on Padraig Pearse (yaay!):p

At least we're finally starting essays, I really like them.:o

So I have a question about Irish poems... am I the only one whose teacher is just making everyone learn off the notes from the book and using them to form an essay? Because I'm probably physically incapable of learning off 5-6 pages of this language I barely understand for all ten of the poems. 8th subject is looking more and more appealing...

So I have a question about Irish poems... am I the only one whose teacher is just making everyone learn off the notes from the book and using them to form an essay? Because I'm probably physically incapable of learning off 5-6 pages of this language I barely understand for all ten of the poems. 8th subject is looking more and more appealing...

I'm assuming your not doing honours maths then? I do music as an 8th subject. I'd recommend doing an 8th subject. One that is more so volume of work like biology or business, rather than chemistry or physics.

My teacher takes some quotes from the book and writes a few sample essays for us, he really puts a lot of work in like.
    I wouldn't mind sending them to you (or anyone) sometime over the weekend if you like, we've only done Geibheann so far though.

I'm assuming your not doing honours maths then? I do music as an 8th subject. I'd recommend doing an 8th subject. One that is more so volume of work like biology or business, rather than chemistry or physics.
    Not doing honours maths, I'd probably have to stay in honours for Irish but I really don't think I can afford to rely on it for points. I've been thinking of economics, might be worth it actually. Thanks :)

storm2811 wrote: »
    My teacher takes some quotes from the book and writes a few sample essays for us, he really puts a lot of work in like.
    I wouldn't mind sending them to you (or anyone) sometime over the weekend if you like, we've only done Geibheann so far though.
    That'd be sooooooooooo (there aren't enough o's in the world) helpful if you could, thank you!! Whenever it suits you :)

That'd be sooooooooooo (there aren't enough o's in the world) helpful if you could, thank you!! Whenever it suits you :)

No problemo, I'll do it up at the weekend sometime and PM it to you.:)

• Advertisement

My teacher writes out 5 or 6 pages of notes covering all aspects of each poem, so those 5/6 pages are all that we need to know for it. When she'll translating them for us, she tells us to write all of the words that we don't know on coloured post-it notes and to just learn the words we don't know. Strangely enough, I find that it works really well! If you want, I'll send you my notes. We've done Geibheann, an tEarrach Thiar, Colscaradh and Mo Ghra-sa so far though, oh and if you want them I'll probably take a while to send them :P It defo won't be til the weekend.
    Not doing honours maths, I'd probably have to stay in honours for Irish but I really don't think I can afford to rely on it for points. I've been thinking of economics, might be worth it actually. Thanks :)
    The amount of learning involved in business and biology is disgusting, but I don't think I'd be able to do chemistry without a teacher (and my friends in physics say the same about it) so avoid those 4 at all costs!
    If you have a sound teacher who will sign off the project for you, do Ag. Science, shortish course and very understandable.
    If that's not an option, then do Economics, it can be difficult at times apparently but it's very short compared to other subjects, and very doable. Also, if you opt for economics (I was gonna do it so I did loads of research) don't buy the curriculum book, buy the Rapid Revision book, it has all of the information to get you an A1 minus probably about 100 pages of waffle :D

My teacher writes out 5 or 6 pages of notes covering all aspects of each poem, so those 5/6 pages are all that we need to know for it.

OMG you are soooo lucky. All our teacher does is translete whats written in the book. She doesn't even tell us what we are supposed to know :(
    The amount of learning involved in business and biology is disgusting

Ya it really is horrible and the teachers I have for them are terrible :(

How are people finding honours maths?

OMG you are soooo lucky. All our teacher does is translete whats written in the book. She doesn't even tell us what we are supposed to know :(

Ya it really is horrible and the teachers I have for them are terrible :(

How are people finding honours maths?

A girl mailed me about that post asking me to send on the Irish notes, I'll send them to you too if you'd like! :)
    Really? :/ All of my teachers are class, apart from my biology teacher and the sub that i'll have for this year while my savage chem teacher is on maternity leave : )

SO MUCH MATHS!
    But I think I'm more or less prepared for the big scary algebra test tomorrow.

My teacher writes out 5 or 6 pages of notes covering all aspects of each poem, so those 5/6 pages are all that we need to know for it. When she'll translating them for us, she tells us to write all of the words that we don't know on coloured post-it notes and to just learn the words we don't know. Strangely enough, I find that it works really well! If you want, I'll send you my notes. We've done Geibheann, an tEarrach Thiar, Colscaradh and Mo Ghra-sa so far though, oh and if you want them I'll probably take a while to send them :P It defo won't be til the weekend.
    Thanks!!:) I've only done one of them so far, so can I get back to you if I need them? D'aww you guys, so helpful. If I have good notes for anything (probably unlikely) you need, just ask!

The amount of learning involved in business and biology is disgusting, but I don't think I'd be able to do chemistry without a teacher (and my friends in physics say the same about it) so avoid those 4 at all costs!
    If you have a sound teacher who will sign off the project for you, do Ag. Science, shortish course and very understandable.
    If that's not an option, then do Economics, it can be difficult at times apparently but it's very short compared to other subjects, and very doable. Also, if you opt for economics (I was gonna do it so I did loads of research) don't buy the curriculum book, buy the Rapid Revision book, it has all of the information to get you an A1 minus probably about 100 pages of waffle :D
    I do business and biology :p I probably will go for economics, I've already got the revision book and it doesn't look a million miles away from business, so I won't be completely like 'OMG 8TH SUBJECT!!"

A girl mailed me about that post asking me to send on the Irish notes, I'll send them to you too if you'd like! smile.gif
    Really? :/ All of my teachers are class, apart from my biology teacher and the sub that i'll have for this year while my savage chem teacher is on maternity leave : )

OMG would you mind sending them to me? Thank you :D.. O you are soooo lucky. Most of my teachers are crap except for music and french :(

Thanks!!:) I've only done one of them so far, so can I get back to you if I need them? D'aww you guys, so helpful. If I have good notes for anything (probably unlikely) you need, just ask!

I do business and biology :p I probably will go for economics, I've already got the revision book and it doesn't look a million miles away from business, so I won't be completely like 'OMG 8TH SUBJECT!!"
    Sure! Let me know if you want 'em.
    OMG would you mind sending them to me? Thank you :D.. O you are soooo lucky. Most of my teachers are crap except for music and french :(
    Sure, just 'cuz you love coffee :DDD

Sure, just 'cuz you love coffee biggrin.gifDD

Thank you SOOO much :D O I'm addicted to it ;)

Thank you SOOO much :D O I'm addicted to it ;)
    No problem :) I'll probably type 2 of them up on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

• Advertisement

My big scary maths test I was pretty sure I'd get upwards of 80% in was a disaster. The questions didn't look like anything I've ever even seen, even though I did loads of study ;(

Advertisement