Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

No problem smile.gif I'll probably type 2 of them up on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.

Theres no rush ive got 2 years to learn them ;)
    My big scary maths test I was pretty sure I'd get upwards of 80% in was a disaster. The questions didn't look like anything I've ever even seen, even though I did loads of study ;(

Awh really :( Is that honours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Yeah honors and I spent like 2 hours last night, an hour and a half the night before and basically a large part of my midterm studying for it. I could do all the part Cs on the papers fairly easily and then we get this test and its like WTF is that? The things we spent ages on barely came up, the things we did for like a week were half the test and then one of the questions I have never even seen one like it.

Yeah honors and I spent like 2 hours last night, an hour and a half the night before and basically a large part of my midterm studying for it. I could do all the part Cs on the papers fairly easily and then we get this test and its like WTF is that? The things we spent ages on barely came up, the things we did for like a week were half the test and then one of the questions I have never even seen one like it.

OMG you poor thing.. Maybe when you get the results back they won't be that bad :(

Anybody else using Biology by Micheal Callaghan for biology? Its a green book. I'm finding its missing a lot of answers to questions in the papers (ie the gas required for skin grafts/passive and active transport in human nutrition). Am I just not seeing them or is there somewhere else I can find it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Anybody else using Biology by Micheal Callaghan for biology? Its a green book. I'm finding its missing a lot of answers to questions in the papers (ie the gas required for skin grafts/passive and active transport in human nutrition). Am I just not seeing them or is there somewhere else I can find it?

I don't have my book with me atm but is it green and white and has a leaf or something on the cover?
    If that's the one then I think it's alright, they wouldn't give us a book that didn't have everything in it after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Theres no rush ive got 2 years to learn them ;)

Awh really :( Is that honours?
    I spent like all day tackling the mountain of homework and study that I got for the weekend (and we didn't get anything except an English essay for midterm, wtf? so I'll just type 1 or 2 up later and then I'll do the others during the week on nights that I don't have much work :)
    I have that book, and to be honest I think it's ****e. It has soooo much waffle. I'm using Revise Wise Biology to study for tests and the lowest I've gotten in bio so far is a B1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I spent like all day tackling the mountain of homework and study that I got for the weekend (and we didn't get anything except an English essay for midterm, wtf?
    Same, all I had for midterm was a history resarch topic proposal, then I got sooo much to do for just one weekend. Weird...

storm2811 wrote: »
    I don't have my book with me atm but is it green and white and has a leaf or something on the cover?
    If that's the one then I think it's alright, they wouldn't give us a book that didn't have everything in it after all.

No it has hands with a little plant in them and a double helix on the cover.
    It just seems to be missing a lot of the answers to the exam questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Ohh right, that's not the one though but that's strange.
    We got little leaflet type books for our JC science to study with that have everything you need in them, you can get biology ones too for the LC, I think they're great for studying anyway. I can't remember the name atm and again I don't have it with me but I'll check tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Just checked and you're right (we haven't been doing the exam question). I really don't like that book anyway, there's so much irrelevant stuff that seems to just be in there for the sake of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

I have that book too :/ we rarely use it though. We go through a power point presentation on each chapter then the teacher hands out a few sheets with all the slides printed out and we use them notes for studying. It's way better than the waffely book because it's all summarized. But we use the book to do questions. My chemistry teacher does the same! Just out of interest does anyone elses teachers use powerpoints in class instead of using the book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

yamadeejit wrote: »
    I have that book too :/ we rarely use it though. We go through a power point presentation on each chapter then the teacher hands out a few sheets with all the slides printed out and we use them notes for studying. It's way better than the waffely book because it's all summarized. But we use the book to do questions. My chemistry teacher does the same! Just out of interest does anyone elses teachers use powerpoints in class instead of using the book?

My JC science teacher used to do that but in fairness he was a bit s***te! Got an A only cos I love science!

Yeah its not amazing in terms of small details that they do ask in the papers, just going to have to track them down from somewhere else.

Are you allowed to go to open days in 5th year? It says on the trinity website that its open to all final year students, but my friend said seeing the open day in 6th year was too late. The other reason is there are a few societies like the LGBT society I want to check out that I won't be able to check out if I'm with the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Are you allowed to go to open days in 5th year? It says on the trinity website that its open to all final year students, but my friend said seeing the open day in 6th year was too late. The other reason is there are a few societies like the LGBT society I want to check out that I won't be able to check out if I'm with the school.

The uni or college won't know what year you're in. I was at the NUIG open day with friends and we saw a group of guys from fifth year in a different school.

If you don't get the chance to head up (Trinity is on a Wednesday, it's on the start of our Christmas Tests but a few of us have permission to get the day off from school we think), maybe post in the TCD section on boards.

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    The uni or college won't know what year you're in. I was at the NUIG open day with friends and we saw a group of guys from fifth year in a different school.

If you don't get the chance to head up (Trinity is on a Wednesday, it's on the start of our Christmas Tests but a few of us have permission to get the day off from school we think), maybe post in the TCD section on boards.

Our xmas exams aren't for 6 weeks and Wednesday is a short day for me so I can take it off. I've missed more days than I intended to this year so far (5) but I think 2 of them were Wednesdays! If my schools 6th year are going I won't go though.

Our xmas exams aren't for 6 weeks and Wednesday is a short day for me so I can take it off. I've missed more days than I intended to this year so far (5) but I think 2 of them were Wednesdays! If my schools 6th year are going I won't go though.

Chances are, depending on where your school is, if they don't go with the school, a few will end up going on their own. Don't let that put you off though. Chances are they won't see you there and if they do it will probably be in the main area, where all the faculties have stands. I don't mean to be nosey, but if the LGBT society is an important deciding factor on where you go to college, then be proud and go check it out. Doesn't matter who sees you! ;)

Trying to decide whether to go back to honours maths tomorrow or stay in pass.. Any advice?? :(

Trying to decide whether to go back to honours maths tomorrow or stay in pass.. Any advice?? :(

BONUS POINTS

That's all I'll say on the matter... Being a LC who loves maths I am so jealous! Take the chance while you have it!

Chances are, depending on where your school is, if they don't go with the school, a few will end up going on their own. Don't let that put you off though. Chances are they won't see you there and if they do it will probably be in the main area, where all the faculties have stands. I don't mean to be nosey, but if the LGBT society is an important deciding factor on where you go to college, then be proud and go check it out. Doesn't matter who sees you! ;)

It matters hugely if they see me. I have to stay in this school for the next two years you know! :P If it is the case that there is a few 6th years there, I'll see if I can wrangle someone from the society off to talk to me by myself.

Its not a massive deciding factor, but if it turns out to be awful it will be a deciding factor because the idea of being able to be out and have friends who are like me is basically what is keeping me going for the next two years!

BONUS POINTS

That's all I'll say on the matter... Being a LC who loves maths I am so jealous! Take the chance while you have it!

Ya i dunno if they will let me but thats the reason I want to go back... BONUS POINTS :D

• Advertisement

Ya i dunno if they will let me but thats the reason I want to go back... BONUS POINTS :D

They can't not let you! You'll be the one doing the exam in June 2012! If they won't let you move back up then refuse to go to any maths class..! :P ''That'll fairly tober them!'' :L

They can't not let you! You'll be the one doing the exam in June 2012! If they won't let you move back up then refuse to go to any maths class..! tongue.gif ''That'll fairly tober them!'' :L

Ya suppose you're right :).. Hahaha o god that would be hilarous :D :P

Ya suppose you're right :).. Hahaha o god that would be hilarous :D :P

Or tell them you'll do foundation level. (Nothing wrong with foundation level but you're clearly able for more!). Schools hate when students who have potential take the easy road..!

They can't not let you! You'll be the one doing the exam in June 2012! If they won't let you move back up then refuse to go to any maths class..! :P ''That'll fairly tober them!'' :L

That'll learn 'em!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Definitely force your way into the honours maths class, they shouldn't be allowed block someone from a class unless there is an isuue due to class numbers, ability, etc.

I am so, so, SO **** at Irish this year, stupid teacher :( This year so far she spent a month year An Triail and learning a pointless summary and learning verbs as well, we read the fisrt page of the An Trial notes then moved on, then she made us learn 2 stories that were only just high Junior Cert standard. After that she told us no one does stories in the exams so we'll start essays and makes us learn so mush that it's impossible! Oh and she started poetry and moved away as well! I'm doing grinds, but even then its annoying. Anyone else have similar problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Ally7 wrote: »
    Definitely force your way into the honours maths class, they shouldn't be allowed block someone from a class unless there is an isuue due to class numbers, ability, etc.

I am so, so, SO **** at Irish this year, stupid teacher :( This year so far she spent a month year An Triail and learning a pointless summary and learning verbs as well, we read the fisrt page of the An Trial notes then moved on, then she made us learn 2 stories that were only just high Junior Cert standard. After that she told us no one does stories in the exams so we'll start essays and makes us learn so mush that it's impossible! Oh and she started poetry and moved away as well! I'm doing grinds, but even then its annoying. Anyone else have similar problems?

My Irish teacher is just an absolute waster, wastes the class time as much as possible. The things he makes us do are good in theory (such as discuss with the person beside you about different things) but he just sits at the top of the class on his laptop trying to think of what to do with us, he showed Caca Milís 5 times or something, we have handed up so many things to him and they just go missing, he gives back 4 or 5 of them to different people as he finds them. I haven't gotten one thing back off him in both Geography and Irish (bar one 10 question test which took him 2 and a half weeks to correct). I was gifted with a fantastic Irish teacher for JC though, the level of Irish she thought us should get me through this year anyway. He also hasn't been in in 2 weeks... word is we are getting someone new tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

He equally does stuff like that in Geography, he makes the class up in the first 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Its not a massive deciding factor, but if it turns out to be awful it will be a deciding factor because the idea of being able to be out and have friends who are like me is basically what is keeping me going for the next two years!
    Crayo, most of the colleges have LGBT societies, certainly the bigger ones, and they're normally very supportive. Also remember that judging the society by the people you meet this year won't really give you much idea of how it will be in two years time when you go to college, as probably those people will have moved on. So if by any bad luck you did bump into someone who was a bit prat-ish, remember that s/he's not necessarily indicative of the society now, let alone by the time you get there.

Or tell them you'll do foundation level. (Nothing wrong with foundation level but you're clearly able for more!). Schools hate when students who have potential take the easy road..!

Woohoo i got to go back.. Thanks guys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

yamadeejit wrote: »

Yeah we use power points for Chemistry. Do ye use the one from iChemistry.ie too? The useless teacher we have just races through the slides bearly giving us a chance to take down the notes. Wish she would print them out like you get them. -.-

Finding chemistry annoying lately, with a mix of a useless teacher who assumes you know everything and the subject that's so hard to comprehend finding the homework very hard. :(

All other subjects grand, expect Irish which I'm just [number 1]'ed off at because this new teacher is just lights on with no one home. Urgh. Can't wait til our old one comes back from maternity leave she is brilliant.

Maths I'm finding ok but will need to do an extra bit on indices myself, I get confused sometimes with them but otherwise doing fine.

Need to take a step back and get myself sussed out so I can keep going at my ususally good pace. :(

[/rant.]

• Advertisement

My school's not hi-tech enough for powerpoint :rolleyes: Well, we use 'em sometimes for English, but that's it.

Advertisement