Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Anybody else using Biology by Micheal Callaghan for biology? Its a green book. I'm finding its missing a lot of answers to questions in the papers (ie the gas required for skin grafts/passive and active transport in human nutrition). Am I just not seeing them or is there somewhere else I can find it?

You might have the older version the newer one has a lot of extra stuff in it . . .but i don't have it . . :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Does anyone here do Economics?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 shocks121

yup, in a class by myself, fairly tough going having to do the homework 100% of the time :P

Does anyone here do Economics?..

on 5th year as a whole, anyone think it should be more exam question type questions instead of doing monotonous q's from the textbook, or is it just the way in my school?:confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

shocks121 wrote: »

on 5th year as a whole, anyone think it should be more exam question type questions instead of doing monotonous q's from the textbook, or is it just the way in my school?:confused::(

I agree. For most of my subjects i'v just bought the papers. The majority of class tests tend to be taken from past exams aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

shocks121 wrote: »
    yup, in a class by myself, fairly tough going having to do the homework 100% of the time :P

Not doing economics, but I'm working from a combination of exam and book questions, mostly from the papers though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I just write notes from the various syllabi and learn 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

So happy I went back to art! Anyone else doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Is anyone else finding geography difficult? I got 60% on a test on the rock cycle and I honestly cant even tell what I did wrong - I left out minor details (very minor - like "rocks are eroded" as compared to "rocks are eroded into sand") and one arrow on my diagram. :/

And honours maths...please tell me someone else is finding that awful too? :pac:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding geography difficult? I got 60% on a test on the rock cycle and I honestly cant even tell what I did wrong - I left out minor details (very minor - like "rocks are eroded" as compared to "rocks are eroded into sand") and one arrow on my diagram. :/

Our teacher is rarely in for geography as he completely taking the school for a ride and out of 6 classes a week he may be there for two. I'm going to struggle hugely next year with geography and it isn't fair on our class, or any other leaving cert class he is taking.

Patchy~ wrote: »

And honours maths...please tell me someone else is finding that awful too? :pac:

its horrible. only word for it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Fr.Ebula Conundrum

Our teacher is rarely in for geography as he completely taking the school for a ride and out of 6 classes a week he may be there for two. I'm going to struggle hugely next year with geography and it isn't fair on our class, or any other leaving cert class he is taking.
    Complain about him, had the same problem with an Irish teacher, complaining about him and getting a new teacher is the only way you'll do well in the leaving cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

So you'd support my idea on the French teacher I spoke about in the teaching section of this?

In covalent bonding, when you are dealing with sigma and pi bonds, where are the electrons? Are they everywhere or just in the intersection?

Could you call watching TV4 studying? I have an Irish oral tomorrow and I'm so not arsed, but I'm desperately find something to do that's not study to convince myself that I'm working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Could you call watching TV4 studying? I have an Irish oral tomorrow and I'm so not arsed, but I'm desperately find something to do that's not study to convince myself that I'm working!

I watched TG4 pretty much all last weekend to "study" even got a bit of history in at the same time.:p

storm2811 wrote: »
    I watched TG4 pretty much all last weekend to "study" even got a bit of history in at the same time.:p
    Buíochas le Dia! (see what I did there?)

Ya I would support your idea Seriously sweet, however I would suggest don't bring it up at the student council meeting as that will only enflame the matter, get your friends' parents to ring the principal and get your friends to speak to the principal themselves. If does nothing at first, just keep on complaining, also if you can get other people in the class to complain and demand a new teacher because they believe their education is suffering

In covalent bonding, when you are dealing with sigma and pi bonds, where are the electrons? Are they everywhere or just in the intersection?

I assume! That the bonding pairs are in the intersection. The lone pairs are everywhere else.

It's not a big deal is it though, are we supposed to know that?

I assume! That the bonding pairs are in the intersection. The lone pairs are everywhere else.

It's not a big deal is it though, are we supposed to know that?

No, but dumb teacher teaching things not on the course has confused me :mad:

So you'd support my idea on the French teacher I spoke about in the teaching section of this?

Just don't go near writing letters or student council. Been there, done that, turned out terribly:(

Student forum is for collecting €1s for teacher retirement, not actually doing things.

• Advertisement

No, but dumb teacher teaching things not on the course has confused me :mad:

Ahh that's fair. Yeah i don't really know to be honest. It's difficult to realise that the way we're taught to draw diagrams of atoms and the whole "Shell" thing, is not actually at all how an atom works, it's just the best way for a student to digest the concept. It's interesting learning a subject that is so full of theorys rather than laws.

Ahh that's fair. Yeah i don't really know to be honest. It's difficult to realise that the way we're taught to draw diagrams of atoms and the whole "Shell" thing, is not actually at all how an atom works, it's just the best way for a student to digest the concept. It's interesting learning a subject that is so full of theorys rather than laws.

Yeah its kind of tricky trying to separate my old knowledge of atoms from my new knowledge! But the problem is the teacher keeps putting up things above and beyond the call of the LC course (electron/nucleus placement in the sigma and pi bonds, totally irrelevant :L) and then I get even more confused. :P

Also, how much has everyone gotten done so far in chemistry. We have the periodic table, history of the atom, electron configuration chapters done and chemical formula chapter half done. I feel like we are moving slower than in my other subjects.

Yeah its kind of tricky trying to separate my old knowledge of atoms from my new knowledge! But the problem is the teacher keeps putting up things above and beyond the call of the LC course (electron/nucleus placement in the sigma and pi bonds, totally irrelevant :L) and then I get even more confused. :P

Also, how much has everyone gotten done so far in chemistry. We have the periodic table, history of the atom, electron configuration chapters done and chemical formula chapter half done. I feel like we are moving slower than in my other subjects.

About the same, it's important to get the grounding in the first 5 chapters though. We're just starting chapter 6.

Complain about him, had the same problem with an Irish teacher, complaining about him and getting a new teacher is the only way you'll do well in the leaving cert

Teachers can not and will not be fired if they are permanent and not on a contract, and timetables will never be changed around to give you a different teacher.

Just the intersection afaik. Although i got 53% in my last test . . .so dont trust my judgement!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

its horrible. only word for it!!!

Differentiation at 3 o'clock on a Friday evening. Kill me now.

Teachers can not and will not be fired if they are permanent and not on a contract, and timetables will never be changed around to give you a different teacher.
    I never meant to actually get the teacher fired but as you said get switched class etc... However it is a major flaw in the Irish education system that a consistantly under performing teacher like the one I had cannot be sacked and a new better teacher brought in :/

I never meant to actually get the teacher fired but as you said get switched class etc... However it is a major flaw in the Irish education system that a consistantly under performing teacher like the one I had cannot be sacked and a new better teacher brought in :/

That's true there are techers in my school who are no longer up to the job one at least 75+, but they can't force retirement on a teacher without unions having a field day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

That's true there are techers in my school who are no longer up to the job one at least 75+, but they can't force retirement on a teacher without unions having a field day.

Don't teachers have to retire at 65?

Don't teachers have to retire at 65?

That's what i thought aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I don't like our maths teacher. He only explains the basics and doesn't really go through other varities in the sum. Like if "X" is in a different place in the equation, what then? You know?

All other subjects are fine, our geography teacher is very boring, I don't know why but I don't feel bothered in school, I just don't feel motivated. Just get my homework done and spend rest of time on playstation/TV

I do all higher subjects.

Advertisement