Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I don't like our maths teacher. He only explains the basics and doesn't really go through other varities in the sum. Like if "X" is in a different place in the equation, what then? You know?

All other subjects are fine, our geography teacher is very boring, I don't know why but I don't feel bothered in school, I just don't feel motivated. Just get my homework done and spend rest of time on playstation/TV

I do all higher subjects.
    I'm losing the great motivation that I had for the first 2 months :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm losing the great motivation that I had for the first 2 months :/
    This. My Christmas tests start next Friday, but here I am <_<

Also, is anyone going on a French course this summer? I've been looking at them but I don't know what to do :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Trying to get a job in France because the courses are insanely expensive and exchanges are impossible to organize, its proving tricky to get the work. :/

Trying to get a job in France because the courses are insanely expensive and exchanges are impossible to organize, its proving tricky to get the work. :/
    I never even thought of that, where have you been looking? All the courses in Paris sound really matching-backpacks, stay with your team leader and don't make eye contact if you know what I mean? I'll be nearly 18, do not want...

Namlub wrote: »
    I never even thought of that, where have you been looking? All the courses in Paris sound really matching-backpacks, stay with your team leader and don't make eye contact if you know what I mean? I'll be nearly 18, do not want...

Barwork, childminding, etc...difficulty is so many people are insisting on over 18 and its difficult deciding what is safe and whats not. I have like an irrational fear that everyone I don't know is a rapist in disguise :P

• Advertisement

This. My Christmas tests start next Friday, but here I am <_<

Also, is anyone going on a French course this summer? I've been looking at them but I don't know what to do :S

:/ Mine don't start 'til the 20th of December, and although I have 5 weeks to study, I also have 5 more weeks of work to cover for the tests! :(

I really wanna go to one of them or to the Gaeltacht, but I can't afford it.

Barwork, childminding, etc...difficulty is so many people are insisting on over 18 and its difficult deciding what is safe and whats not. I have like an irrational fear that everyone I don't know is a rapist in disguise :P
    A lot of the Frenchies DO have rapey eyes though :P
    Bar work in Paris or somewhere would be 'mazing but yeah, underage and that. I actually hate being 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

Bar work in Paris or somewhere would be 'mazing but yeah, underage and that. I actually hate being 17.

The legal drinking and smoking age in France is sixteen.

The legal drinking and smoking age in France is sixteen.
    Not any more :o

Not that I have been doing research on how much alcohol and cigarettes I can buy or anything...

Not any more :o

Not that I have been doing research on how much alcohol and cigarettes I can buy or anything...

It's still 16 for beer and such. On our TY trip to Paris in April, I got served drink and fags in every single place I tried. They sell naggins in little packets like you get toys in; with the cardboard back and plastic front XD

• Advertisement

It's still 16 for beer and such. On our TY trip to Paris in April, I got served drink and fags in every single place I tried. They sell naggins in little packets like you get toys in; with the cardboard back and plastic front XD
    Wikipedia has failed me so :P
    Ahaha, we were in Paris in February for TY; I know they don't really give a crap about who they sell fags to. None of us even thought to buy drink :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Oh how I love ze continent!

storm2811 wrote: »
    Oh how I love ze continent!

It seems as if nowhere in Europe is as strict about drink and fags as here!

Anyone taking the religion exam or doing it as a subject?
    We do it but we don't do the exam, so the religion class is more of a doss where you watch films about discrimination.:pac:

I kind of want to the exam though so just wondering what books people are using in religion?
    We don't have any as it's not taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

storm2811 wrote: »
    Anyone taking the religion exam or doing it as a subject?
    We do it but we don't do the exam, so the religion class is more of a doss where you watch films about discrimination.:pac:

I kind of want to the exam though so just wondering what books people are using in religion?
    We don't have any as it's not taken seriously.

In our school we had to do it for junior certain, I found it incredibly boring. It's not much like your doing in class now, it's a lot of study on world religions and their place in societys. For junior certain we had 20% project. I got a b, one of my best subjects.... With no work, study or effort whatsoever. I don know if the case I the same for the leaving cert though. If you were to take it as a subject I'd start pretty soon.

In our school we had to do it for junior certain, I found it incredibly boring. It's not much like your doing in class now, it's a lot of study on world religions and their place in societys. For junior certain we had 20% project. I got a b, one of my best subjects.... With no work, study or effort whatsoever. I don know if the case I the same for the leaving cert though. If you were to take it as a subject I'd start pretty soon.

Yeah we did it for the JC too but we're not doing it for the leaving, not properly anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

Apparently, Religion is a very tough subject to take for the Leaving Cert.

Apparently, Religion is a very tough subject to take for the Leaving Cert.

Yeah I've heard that and looked at past papers, it does seem pretty hard but I still want to take it, it looks quite easy in comparison to the other subjects I was thinking of taking, I just need something to boost my points.

Not liking Eavan Boland. Does it make me a philistine that I find her (frankly overwrought and unnecessary) use of myths pretentious and annoying?

Maybe I just should have done classics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

As a Classics nerd, I can assure you it doesn't. I spend three hours a week in a class that is mostly full of pedantic twats, and yet I still have the urge to roll my eyes at some of the things she wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Not liking Eavan Boland. Does it make me a philistine that I find her (frankly overwrought and unnecessary) use of myths pretentious and annoying?

Maybe I just should have done classics.

Sylvia Plath and adrienne rich are worse . . .:cool:

Sylvia Plath and adrienne rich are worse . . .:cool:

awesome.png

I quite like Sylvia Plath though, but I don't know if the stuff I like is on the course.

I think Heaney has been portrayed poorly on this years selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

Hey everyone.. have any of you started studyin for the leaving cert?
    I'm in 5th year and i dunno when to start.. i was really motivated in september but now i just do homework and no study.
    I'm taking english maths chemistry, bio , business and german . all higher level.
    If ya have any tips for studying any of the above please tell me :D
    I need lots of points... so should i start studying now?

xcorina wrote: »
    Hey everyone.. have any of you started studyin for the leaving cert?
    I'm in 5th year and i dunno when to start.. i was really motivated in september but now i just do homework and no study.
    I'm taking english maths chemistry, bio , business and german . all higher level.
    If ya have any tips for studying any of the above please tell me :D
    I need lots of points... so should i start studying now?

Most definitely, if not 3 months ago. Not crazy study, just about 2.5hrs a night including homework. LC is a two year course.

@fewtinsofroth: Having a flick through the Sylvia Plath selection I thought the same. Lady Lazarus and Daddy aren't there, they're my favorites :/

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xcorina

Do you study one subject each day or more subjects in one day??

About 2, maybe 3 depending on what I need to get done.

I would make sure you have a good understanding of the subjects your studying at least.

I'm not really doing much extra work for biology or geography yet, but i'm making sure that i understand everything thoroughly for chemistry and construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Got an essay to write 'Is olc an ghaoth nach séideann maith do dhuine éigean' for the weekend :(.. Still can't decide what to write it about. Any ideas? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Got an essay to write 'Is olc an ghaoth nach séideann maith do dhuine éigean' for the weekend :(.. Still can't decide what to write it about. Any ideas? :confused:

An cúlu eacnamaiochta, and those who have benefited from it??

Advertisement