Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Ya have to love snow days!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

PM me if you're finding maths difficult, good news! Can't say it openly as probably get banned but might help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Guys. This isn't even funny.
    The school left us homework on the website
    fu.jpg:mad:

So I guess that means we aren't going back until late next week then :S Kind of want my teachers back for christmas test revision, and on that subject, how are people getting on with the revision? I have done a fair bit when I look at my little schedule but I don't feel very prepared :( We were supposed to have class tests to gauge where we were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Guys. This isn't even funny.
    The school left us homework on the website

How are people getting on with the revision?

Firstly, if you don't see the website, how will you know?! :P Plus, you left your books in your locker..! ;)

Revision wise, our tests were supposed be this week but we've been close since Tuesday. The weather isn't even that bad like but I'm not complaining! I'll miss 2 tests next week because I've to go to Dublin..! :P ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Our tests are next week but we got a lovely email this morning from our Irish teacher telling us to utilise the time and basically saying we would have the tests when we all agreed was a fair time. I have to say though, it has taught me how much can actually get done in a day and relieved some of the pressure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I know what's on the tests for English, Irish, Maths and Business.. But i've done 0.. They're not starting until next Thursday though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thedice

HELP!!! How do you write irish poetry or prós notes?? Ive got such a **** teacher. I'm doing higher level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Lads. Some of your schools are so much sophisticated than ours, with school websites for homework and teachers e-mailing students. We only got a text-message service last year >.>

Also, am I the only one without proper Xmas tests? We're only having 40min class tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Ally7 wrote: »
    Lads. Some of your schools are so much sophisticated than ours, with school websites for homework and teachers e-mailing students. We only got a text-message service last year >.>

Also, am I the only one without proper Xmas tests? We're only having 40min class tests.
    My school's the exact same, I feel so primitive reading some of these posts :pac:

Nope, my school doesn't do the whole xmas exam thing, it's entirely up to individual teacher as to whether we get a test :D Most teachers give us our average on the report.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The school websites are probably using Moodle, which in fairness costs a school little or nothing to run (just hosting space). However it does need a willing person to take it on as one of those unpaid tasks that we all do (in between all the holidays and counting of outlandish salaries of course). Said person then in their own time trains any other teachers who wish to learn how to upload stuff for their classes.

In days of pay and conditions being eroded, the number of people willing to do Moodle work for free is shrinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Our tests are all 3 classes long. 1 hour 40 minutes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Another issue with it, especially for rural schools, can be that many homes in more out of the way places have poor connectivity, so it's unreliable as a means of contacting parents.

In general, I think a lot of schools find that texting core info is a far more reliable method, which may mean that web-based solutions don't get as high a priority unless the principal or at least one teacher is "techie" and pushes it forward.

Ally7 wrote: »

We don't even have a text message service . . .:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

So our school isn't the only one still in the '80s :cool:

No school tomorrow, yay! The one advantage of going to a religious school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Anyone have any advice how to study poetry for my englsih xmas test?We have to write a 5 page essay on either Heaney or Kavanagh..it's the only thing i can't study :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice how to study poetry for my englsih xmas test?We have to write a 5 page essay on either Heaney or Kavanagh..it's the only thing i can't study :p

Learn off a load of poems I suppose, do you have any poetry books? Ours has crap loads of notes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

ya i have poetry focus 2012 but its impossible to retain all those notes and you cant just learn them off

Meglamonia wrote: »
    ya i have poetry focus 2012 but its impossible to retain all those notes and you cant just learn them off

Maybe take some main points and just work from there? Look up some sample essays either.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

storm2811 wrote: »
    Learn off a load of poems I suppose, do you have any poetry books? Ours has crap loads of notes in it.

What book is it? New Explorations or whatever doesn't even have notes, tis crap -.-

Namlub wrote: »
    What book is it? New Explorations or whatever doesn't even have notes, tis crap -.-

Em I don't have with me but it's some poetry book especially for the LC 2012, it's a kind of maroon colour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Arghhh, my teachers arent doing any revision for the xmas tests. :(

I'm trying to study Irish atm, we've done 5 poems. She's giving us spider diagrams to help, but I'm so worried and it just happens to be the same day as geography and business - the other two I was stressed over - AND that's the first day.

Any advice? o.o

Christmas tests have been shortened to 1 hour each for us cos of the days we missed for snow- so we have two extra days of classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Christmas tests have been shortened to 1 hour each for us cos of the days we missed for snow- so we have two extra days of classes.

That's a good idea really. We missed 7 school days in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

That's a good idea really. We missed 7 school days in total.

You don't live far from me. Yet you missed more days than I missed classes.
    Finished one day at 11 cause of the snow, and that was it. -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BagheeraK

Anyone else doing Art for LC? ;)

Yep! Why?

Wondering if anyone else thought that having a 5000 year course... with only 2 50 mark essays on it was inredibly ridiculous o.O

BagheeraK wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone else thought that having a 5000 year course... with only 2 50 mark essays on it was inredibly ridiculous o.O

Is this about art history? We haven't done any!!
    Only some art appreciation, our teacher doesn't seem to like the history part..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Moke

Damn that's lucky. We're still having 2 hour long tests, in most subjects we haven't finished what we have to study yet...tests start on thursday. Irish is the only one I know I'll do bad in though

• Advertisement

:O You have no idea how lucky you are... We have 2 doubles and a single a week, with the single being all art history. I didn't do art for my JC so I'd kill for some more practical classes.

Advertisement