Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I want 6 A1s, end of. I'm prepared to work for them. I generally fo 11-1 each morning and an hour in the evening. It's not hard and I'm hoping I'll be ahead going back. I'd love to go away for 6 weeks this Summer so I won't have time then and might aswell do it now.

No offense, but I think studying during the summer is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Hence the reason I'm going away volunteering...I never said I was but I know a hell of a lot of people who are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

You study, you get slatted, you don't, you get slatted. Just do what you can and forget people telling you what to do or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Isn't it a bit early to be doing loads of study :confused:
    I've done nothing. I want to enjoy this Xmas because next year i'll study loads..

Is three hours a day loads? I honestly don't know if it is or not but as I'm finding it totally manageable I'll keep doing it. I doubt getting a good foundation in my subjects could be detrimental to me next year really. I don't just merely plan on rote-learning it all off, I want to understand what I'm learning and honestly love the subjects I'm studying at the moment. I don't rigidly do it the same time each day but I try but somedays it does not work. Everyday I get out to meet up with friends in the middle of the days and some evenings.
    Do people who get 600 points honestly not have to do anything in 5th year? I've been out 3 nights so far and still find 3 hours the next day ok, although maybe a bit later than the nights I'm not out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

People who get high points obviously put work in in 5th year but I'd say 3 hours a day in 5th year is overkill. To use the old cliché; The Leaving Cert is like a marathon. You do too much at the start and you'll have a weak finish. I know that it seems perfectly manageable now but what about this time next year. Wil you still be able to do 3 good hours of study when it counts? But having said that only you can know your own limitations. For all the work you're putting in I really hope you get your 600. If I remember correctly you're aiming for Medicine? Just remember the points taper off after 550 so dont stress over that last 50 points too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    People who get high points obviously put work in in 5th year but I'd say 3 hours a day in 5th year is overkill. To use the old cliché; The Leaving Cert is like a marathon. You do too much at the start and you'll have a weak finish. I know that it seems perfectly manageable now but what about this time next year. Wil you still be able to do 3 good hours of study when it counts? But having said that only you can know your own limitations. For all the work you're putting in I really hope you get your 600. If I remember correctly you're aiming for Medicine? Just remember the points taper off after 550 so dont stress over that last 50 points too much ;)

3 hours doesnt sound that much tho? I've been doing that since the start of the year... I'll probably do 4 next year :/

3 hours seems a lot. Do you do 3 hours on top of homework during the school week?
    I admire your dedication though and I hope you get the 600 you're aiming for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Is three hours a day loads? I honestly don't know if it is or not but as I'm finding it totally manageable I'll keep doing it. I doubt getting a good foundation in my subjects could be detrimental to me next year really. I don't just merely plan on rote-learning it all off, I want to understand what I'm learning and honestly love the subjects I'm studying at the moment. I don't rigidly do it the same time each day but I try but somedays it does not work. Everyday I get out to meet up with friends in the middle of the days and some evenings.
    Do people who get 600 points honestly not have to do anything in 5th year? I've been out 3 nights so far and still find 3 hours the next day ok, although maybe a bit later than the nights I'm not out.

I'v been out almost every night so far!! Wuhey!

And yes!! I have forgotten most things i'v "learnt" since september!

Everyone is different I suppose. I wouldn't have the means to go out each night OR the inclination. That said, different courses for different horses. I am SO glad there is ONE person who feels 3 hours isn't madness. I mean 3 hours a day during the holidays. What I do during the year obviously depends on homework, tests etc.

• Advertisement

Everyone is different I suppose. I wouldn't have the means to go out each night OR the inclination. That said, different courses for different horses. I am SO glad there is ONE person who feels 3 hours isn't madness. I mean 3 hours a day during the holidays. What I do during the year obviously depends on homework, tests etc.

Of the 6 you want A1's in which ones are you worried about?

Not my languages, maybe physics or chemistry as I see sometimes they throw up odd questions. But I wouldn't say I am hugely worried about any. All my family got high points and I'm hoping it's somewhat genetic, maybe we're entering the whole nature/nurture debate here but I'm doing the same as all my cousins etc so and hoping it turns out the same for me. I'm determined I'll be a doctor in a few short years. I've never wanted anything else.

Not my languages, maybe physics or chemistry as I see sometimes they throw up odd questions. But I wouldn't say I am hugely worried about any. All my family got high points and I'm hoping it's somewhat genetic, maybe we're entering the whole nature/nurture debate here but I'm doing the same as all my cousins etc so and hoping it turns out the same for me. I'm determined I'll be a doctor in a few short years. I've never wanted anything else.
    I'm not taking the piss, whenever someone is like "some people are disappointed with like 530 points, wtf is wrong with them?" I'm the first to say that different people have different aims, but would you be disappointed with say 590/595?

How would I get 595? I don't plan on using maths so it'll be 590 or 600 or am I wrong? I wouldn't say disappointed but I will work my butt off to get the best I can. For some people 60 points is their goal, one of my classmates is working hard and wants in the 200s. I accept all that, but I find it hard when people say 3 hours is too much, how is it when I get so much fitted into my day, bar today perhaps when I've been on this downloading music, on boards and skyping friends from around the world all day! But hey I'm normal too and slip up.
    In answer to the question, I don't expect I will get less than 550 but ideally I'd love 600, it just means I've a better chance of getting my course. Is that a bad thing?

I'm gona opt out of this cos quite honestly feel people feel I've come on here blowing my own trumpet. I gave up fifteen years of freedom to come back to education here and cannot believe people are still so quick to knock a person down rather than build them up here. So different other places. Basically I'll work my ass off, I'll get my points end of. So for people to send me PMs saying to chill etc, I do chill. They're the very people on here about failing, which in my opinion is chilling a bit too much. I just don't get it, I thought this was all for supporting people but obviously I was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Don't get worked up, as far as I can see no-one's knocked you for working hard. Maybe it's just that someone might read your post about studying three hours a day, not the one where you mention all the other things you've been doing, and jumped to conclusions. In all fairness, those PMs don't exactly sound malicious, quite the opposite, so there's no need to bring up the progress of the people who have sent them.

In fairness nobody here has been that rude or anything. It's a thread for discussion, exchange of opinions, as to studying and the courses, not just support.

And most people on this thread seem to be aiming for 500+ anyway....

How has anyone been rude on here? Many of us aren't as brainy as you. I am hoping for good points too. I want to get 450+ but I'm a person who studys better under pressure so thats why I'm not studying this Christmas. Thats my opinion.
    I admire your dedication though and I hope you get the 600 you're aiming for smile.gif

This is what I said in one of my posts and you didn't even comment or say thanks and you say we aren't 'supporting people'.

Apologies coffeelover, I didn't get time to read it all and do not always individually respond, I've never used a forum before and was unsure of the protocol. I hope we all get what we deserve at the end of the day but it was more the PMs I was getting that were hitting me hard.
    Athbhliain faoi mhaise do chuile dhuine anseo.

Apologies coffeelover, I didn't get time to read it all and do not always individually respond, I've never used a forum before and was unsure of the protocol. I hope we all get what we deserve at the end of the day but it was more the PMs I was getting that were hitting me hard.

No worries seriouslysweet :) I'm sorry about the PMs :( And hopefully we will all get what we want :) And happy new year to you too (sorry can't say it as gaeilge) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm sorry if you thought I was, but I wasn't saying that in a wankerish way. I thought I'd emphasised that enough :S

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

I'm sorry if you thought I was, but I wasn't saying that in a wankerish way. I thought I'd emphasised that enough :S

Dayummmn... I know how you feel :/ Everything i say comes out wankerish... Even when i'm trying to be nice... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pateen

do many people here study in 5th year, obviously a bit if you've tests comin up or whatever but in general, is anybody studying for the leavin in 5th year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Not me any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pateen

phew, jeesh, me either, are you doin all higher level or..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Happy New Year to everyone here!

I don't really do study, I just write notes up on a regular basis for my more factual subjects like Chemistry and Biology, too early for proper study imo and I am aiming for pretty high points in the exams.

patar wrote: »
    Dayummmn... I know how you feel :/ Everything i say comes out wankerish... Even when i'm trying to be nice... :/
    I actually said "I'm not saying this in a bastardly way" or something at the start, too!
    pateen wrote: »
    do many people here study in 5th year, obviously a bit if you've tests comin up or whatever but in general, is anybody studying for the leavin in 5th year?
    I'm not. Well I do a bit for class tests and I did for Xmas tests. Didn't multiquote your other post but I'm doing 6 honours.
    Ally7 wrote: »
    Happy New Year to everyone here!

I don't really do study, I just write notes up on a regular basis for my more factual subjects like Chemistry and Biology, too early for proper study imo and I am aiming for pretty high points in the exams.
    Happy new year to you too! I'm aiming for 480, which is pretty high. Going by boards.ie standards it's basically all NGs, but it's extremely high for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

pateen wrote: »
    phew, jeesh, me either, are you doin all higher level or..?

Yes all Higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I think this whole debate about studying too much/ not enough has escalated too much now. At the end of the day everyone is different, some people might study everyday, some mighn't study at all. Everyones intellect varies and I believe that's a good thing. How boring would it be if everybody had the same interests, the same hobbies, the same values?. I am someone who studies quite often and am in 5th year. I study as I like doing it, and it makes me feel as I am using my time efficently to get what I need at the end of the Leaving Cert. experience..

With regards to myself, I am aiming for about 500+. I honestly don't have a clue what I want to do, so I am working to the best of my ability in case a course I want has high points. People might only need 330 for their dream course!

My sister sat her Leaving Cert. last year and scored an impressive 565 points, she chose to do an Intellectual Disability Course for 395.. She could have done almost anything, but she wanted to work with the mentally handicapped and the disabled. Moral of the story is everyone has different wants, abilities, strengths and weaknesses.

Instead of knocking people we should try to help and encourage them. That's my 2 cents anyway, take of it what you will

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Couldn't agree with you PictureFrame, very well said :) At the end of the day, the amount of points you get or the amount of points a course is are irrevelant. What's more important is that we choose courses we want to do and reach our full potential points-wise.

Advertisement