Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

The reason I chose chemistry is because in Junior Cert. it was the easiest for me, and I liked it, and it was my favourite module in TY.

But yeah.
    I'm about to become a 5th year student, and I did TY. FML

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

The reason I chose chemistry is because in Junior Cert. it was the easiest for me, and I liked it, and it was my favourite module in TY.

But yeah.
    I'm about to become a 5th year student, and I did TY. FML

If you liked the TY module, you're probably set for it. The thing that threw me was that I loved Chemistry at Junior Cert level, but felt that it an entirely different subject for Leaving Cert. Aside from hefting chemicals around, doing experiments, and there are plenty of those, the coursework is unlike anything you would have encountered in Science. You need a logical mind to be naturally talented at it, and hopefully a teacher who can break it down into simpler terms for you. I had neither, and scraped a D3, but I had more than that against me.

As for being worried about readapting to work after TY, don't be. It only takes a week, maybe two, for you to be completely used to it again. Teachers know this, so they'll probably set you work that'd ease you back into it. That said, it is easy to just take the TY attitude and saunter through the two years. Avoid this at all costs - do all the homework you're given, and try to memorise the courses as you do them. Whatever work you do in 5th year will make 6th year easier, and you want to make 6th year as easy for yourself as you can. It's a stressful time, you'll hate it and love with equal ferocity, and most importantly...if you take your eye off the ball, if you decide to blink instead of stare...you'll wake up one morning and realise the Leaving Cert is only a month away.

Good luck, chaps and chappettes. You're heading into a very memorable period of your lives. Make sure they're positive memories. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I'm going into 5th year (not doing TY) doing english, irish, maths, french, business, music, biology and lcvp. The books look sooo big and scary :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

@coffeelover: And we need to know every page better than we know our own names:eek: I'm doing physics, chemistry, biology, French and then the other three, all at higher. I think I might have to forget how to ride a bike and use a computer to make space in my brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

@coffeelover: And we need to know every page better than we know our own names:eek: I'm doing physics, chemistry, biology, French and then the other three, all at higher. I think I might have to forget how to ride a bike and use a computer to make space in my brain.

Three sciences?:eek:
    What do you plan on doing after the LC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

storm2811 wrote: »
    Three sciences?:eek:
    What do you plan on doing after the LC?

It seemed like a good idea at the time :S
    I'm planning on medicine, and I hate business and history, so I figured what the hell lets do physics.

What was I thinking? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I'm planning on medicine, and I hate business and history, so I figured what the hell lets do physics.

Ohh nooo,I hate physics with a passion,but that's just me.:pac:
    You don't even need it for medicine though but sure if you're good at it then why not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

I also did TY but I don't think I went back on my standard that I had in my Junior Cert. The only thing I would have liked would be more english classes. I got an A in Higher Level Junior Cert. so hopefully my standrard has not decreased over the last year. I honestly don't think it will be all that difficult, however the subjects I picked are honestly my top ones.

I am doing English, Irish, Maths, French, Business, Accounting, Geography, Music & LCVP.

English
    Not too worried, I think I still have my high standard, and I can't wait to study poets in detail, love that Robert Frost and Thomas Kinsella are on our course this year. What novel are all you studying?. We weren't prescribed one yet, only a poetry book and Hamlet.

Irish
    I do Ordinary, so regardless of what I achieve in exams I won't be counting it for points, got an A in the Junior though so I think it will be quite manageable

Maths
    Might drop to Pass befor the end of 5th year, I am not too worried as I am doing Accounting outside of school anyway so..

French
    This is kind of worrying me, my lack of knowledge in basic french verbs is a disaster.. I mean i used 3 verbs in my JC.. Je Suis Alle Je suis retourner ect. ect. however I think it's just a thing of learning them off.. Hopefully ;)

Business
    Got an A in Higher Level Junior Cert. looked through the book and exam papers, very easy can't wait to start the course though..

Accounting
    Hopefully my A in Business will carry me through.. But I am beginning to dount myself on this particular one.

Geography
    Got a B in JC. The stuff is not difficult to learn at 1st glance, however there is a lot of stuff in the course.. Meh

Music
    Shouldn't be too demaning. 50% for a Practical nearly guarantees a D2 in honours without a written paper, and because I am in Grade VII Piano it shouldn't be too demanding

LCVP
    Basically like pass Business for the Junior cert. Simple IT and typing skills bit of studying before exam.. Easy..

I know I might be coming across as cocky but this is the way I think the year will go for me.
    Not dreading anything except maybe getting a rotten class schedule, or a bottom locker :L. If i have Business x2 first thing on a monday morning I might drop out completely :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

French
    This is kind of worrying me, my lack of knowledge in basic french verbs is a disaster.. I mean i used 3 verbs in my JC.. Je Suis Alle Je suis retourner ect. ect. however I think it's just a thing of learning them off.. Hopefully ;)

I know NO french! That's a massive step ahead of me!

3 verbs? I could use one incorrectly but I'd have to think about it! :(

Damn 5th year looks more and more daunting everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

M&S* wrote: »
    I know NO french! That's a massive step ahead of me!

3 verbs? I could use one incorrectly but I'd have to think about it! :(

Damn 5th year looks more and more daunting everyday.

Look up Francais.ie Brilliant for notes verbs/grammer/basic vocab it will help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I was looking through the books and business looks quite easy :cool:
    Physics is supposed to be really hard :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Look up Francais.ie Brilliant for notes verbs/grammer/basic vocab it will help :)

Meh, it's summer I'll worry about it in.... 6th year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

[QUOTE=DavidKelly1;67333002
    English
    Not too worried, I think I still have my high standard, and I can't wait to study poets in detail, love that Robert Frost and Thomas Kinsella are on our course this year. What novel are all you studying?. We weren't prescribed one yet, only a poetry book and Hamlet.

JC High Standard = LC OL High Standard. Levels go way up, as does the work load.

You don't study poets in detail. You study a few poems, learn a few quotes, explain the quotes.

Maths
    Might drop to Pass befor the end of 5th year, I am not too worried as I am doing Accounting outside of school anyway so..

Accounting and HL Maths can't be compared. At all.

French

You really have to understand the verbs, it's a lot different to JC because there are many more types of verbs.

Business
    Got an A in Higher Level Junior Cert. looked through the book and exam papers, very easy can't wait to start the course though..

Common thought. Business isn't very easy. It requires a lot of learning. The applied business question requires a lot of work, and the long questions take quite a long time to perfect.

[/QUOTE]

Noel2k9 did you just answer this question to contradict everythink I said?. :?
    And since when did learning poems, quotes, and answering questions about the specific poems not involve learning individual poets by detail?. I think you will realise your reply is slightly incorrect. And because of TY we have already studied poets, some Shakespeare ect. so I believe I will be fine for 5th year thanks very much.
    Also I never stated that Accounting and Maths are subjects that have overlapping themes or that they can be compared, if you read my post throughly you would have realised that I said IF i dropped to Ordinary Level Maths I would still have a 6th higher leve subject. I can't even begin to fathom how Business can be percieved as hard either to be honest. My brother just got an A1 last year in the exam with no study, so maybe it just depends on the intellectual level of the individual.

:D

Noel2k9 did you just answer this question to contradict everythink I said?. :?
    And since when did learning poems, quotes, and answering questions about the specific poems not involve learning individual poets by detail?. I think you will realise your reply is slightly incorrect. And because of TY we have already studied poets, some Shakespeare ect. so I believe I will be fine for 5th year thanks very much.
    Also I never stated that Accounting and Maths are subjects that have overlapping themes or that they can be compared, if you read my post throughly you would have realised that I said IF i dropped to Ordinary Level Maths I would still have a 6th higher leve subject. I can't even begin to fathom how Business can be percieved as hard either to be honest. My brother just got an A1 last year in the exam with no study, so maybe it just depends on the intellectual level of the individual.

:D

Because you learn a poets poems. You don't learn a poet. TY poetry is totally different. You'll soon learn.
    No it doesn't. Your brother did his leaving cert in 2009, right? The level of the exam was upped since then because they got an exam for pretty much JC level, and this years exam was a lot more difficult. My class couldn't buy our LC exam papers last year because of the course being upped, hence we have to wait until we are in 6th year to get them. So no, it doesn't depend on the intellectual. And yes, you do come across as being very cocky and you soon will realise it when 5th year hits you like a plank. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Noel2k9 wrote: »

Ya I agree with Noel2k9 to be honest. I mean you're pretty cocky for a dude thinking of dropping to pass maths before you've even tried it. I'm sure you're capable of doing well and that you will do well when it comes to the nitty and gritty stuff but honestly you have to study these subjects at this level, before you comment on their difficulty. Accounting isn't a walk in the park? It takes practice and so much concentration in order to dig out a high mark. I got an A1 in the 5th year exams and I found it incredibly difficult in certain aspects, in mosts dimensions really. It takes effort. But if you possess the motivation and enthusiasm you portray Im sure you'll do well!

First of all I would like to address the users that stated my post was cocky, I am not going to apoligise for being honest however I can see that it may have been percieved as slightly cocky and overconfident but that is my personality so I cannot and quite honestly will not change that. To be honest Noel I am not too worried about 5th year, the opportunity to push myself and be tested at regular intervals lacked slightly in Transition Year so I will not be "hit with a plank" as you so blaintly put it, I will avoid the plank of failure at all costs necessary :). Patri congratulations on your A1 in your Summer exams I am sure it was well deserved. However if you read my post I am not stating that I will not have to study in order to achieve the high grades I want and deserve, of course I will study consistently. Also I believe I am the person most capable of judging my ability at Mathematics, not a complete stranger I probably will never talk to again :), but thank you most sincerely for caring.

At this point, I will leave this thread I am worried that a once innocent,sweet thread will soon turn sour if I begin to retort with my honest opinions on this subject.

Slan!!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Now that that's all nice and done with ;) .....

Anymore advice from the venerable LCrs for us going into 5th year? I'm also confused about what to buy....is it A4 Pads or copies I should be buying do you think?

Anymore advice from the venerable LCrs for us going into 5th year? I'm also confused about what to buy....is it A4 Pads or copies I should be buying do you think?

A4 hardbacks are rarely used, mainly all folders with refils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Ask your teacher first, they usually know the scope. Personally I like both for different subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

For subjects with essays, like English/Geography/History/Classics, I'd recommend an A4 pad. It'll get you very acquainted with laying everything out on the actual exam, especially in judging how much to write for each question. That said, I used A4 pads for everything, just because it's just like what you'll be using on the day.

If you can get A4 pads where it's easy to pull the pages out, I'd recommend those, too. It means whatever extra work you do can be pulled out and handed up to the teacher neatly, without having to hand over the entire pad.

I bought a normal 88 page copy for classwork questions homework ect.

We had to get an A4 Hardback Notes Copy for Geography Business French Maths
    2 Refill Pads between English Music Irish.

I also did TY but I don't think I went back on my standard that I had in my Junior Cert. The only thing I would have liked would be more english classes. I got an A in Higher Level Junior Cert. so hopefully my standrard has not decreased over the last year. I honestly don't think it will be all that difficult, however the subjects I picked are honestly my top ones.

I am doing English, Irish, Maths, French, Business, Accounting, Geography, Music & LCVP.

English

Irish
    I do Ordinary, so regardless of what I achieve in exams I won't be counting it for points, got an A in the Junior though so I think it will be quite manageable

Maths

French

Business

Accounting
    Hopefully my A in Business will carry me through.. But I am beginning to dount myself on this particular one.

Geography
    Got a B in JC. The stuff is not difficult to learn at 1st glance, however there is a lot of stuff in the course.. Meh

Music
    Shouldn't be too demaning. 50% for a Practical nearly guarantees a D2 in honours without a written paper, and because I am in Grade VII Piano it shouldn't be too demanding

LCVP
    Basically like pass Business for the Junior cert. Simple IT and typing skills bit of studying before exam.. Easy..

I know I might be coming across as cocky but this is the way I think the year will go for me.
    Not dreading anything except maybe getting a rotten class schedule, or a bottom locker :L. If i have Business x2 first thing on a monday morning I might drop out completely :L
    For me:

English: Meh, I'm just above average at this. I got a B in Honours for the Junior Cert, I probably have the best spelling and grammar in my year; but I lack the required imagination for creative writing. I really enjoy studying poetry though, and Shakespeare.

Irish: Death. Pass. I just want a C3.

Maths: My other pass subject, and I absolutely adore it. I got an A in the JC, 100% in TY summer tests and yeah, I love mathematics!

French: My favourite subject by far. French is the only subject in which I'm top of the class. :cool: Just hoping I'll have a good teacher this year though; looking for an A1 or an A2 in the Leaving.

Chemistry: I love it, but I'm absolutely petrified of doing it for the LC.

Biology: Ew, I didn't like anything on that line; it was the best out of a bad bunch.

Business: Taking this one up this year actually, spoke to the teacher whom will be teaching it and she said I'm well able for honours once I do the work, so happy out.

Uhhh, yeah... I'm aiming for around 420 pts.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    He actually said that he's not too worried about dropping to pass maths because he's doing Accountancy outside of school; therefore he'll have something to fall back on. He never compared the two.

I actually took it upon myself to learn the LC French tenses; I know Présent, Futur Simple and Passé Composé from JC, I learnt Futur Proche, Imparfait, Conditionnel Présent and the Conditionnel Passé. The only one that I find confusing is the Subjonctif, and that's because I don't understand when it has to be used, so I'll wait to learn that at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akanthia

I do suffer from "I used to know it...then I did T.Y." syndrome though! I have forgotten nearly everything but I don't care xD

I got an A in JC maths and I failed my TY summer paper.. ty has turned my brain to mush
    september is going to be such a train wreck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

For me:

English: Meh, I'm just above average at this. I got a B in Honours for the Junior Cert, I probably have the best spelling and grammar in my year; but I lack the required imagination for creative writing. I really enjoy studying poetry though, and Shakespeare.

Irish: Death. Pass. I just want a C3.

Maths: My other pass subject, and I absolutely adore it. I got an A in the JC, 100% in TY summer tests and yeah, I love mathematics!

French: My favourite subject by far. French is the only subject in which I'm top of the class. :cool: Just hoping I'll have a good teacher this year though; looking for an A1 or an A2 in the Leaving.

Chemistry: I love it, but I'm absolutely petrified of doing it for the LC.

Biology: Ew, I didn't like anything on that line; it was the best out of a bad bunch.

Business: Taking this one up this year actually, spoke to the teacher whom will be teaching it and she said I'm well able for honours once I do the work, so happy out.

Uhhh, yeah... I'm aiming for around 420 pts.

You're going into 5th Year and know what points you want?

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akanthia

k

Akanthia wrote: »
    I do suffer from "I used to know it...then I did T.Y." syndrome though! I have forgotten nearly everything but I don't care xD

I got an A in JC maths and I failed my TY summer paper.. ty has turned my brain to mush
    september is going to be such a train wreck:)
    THIS.
    Superbus wrote: »
    You're going into 5th Year and know what points you want?

Wow.
    Lol, yeah. A lot of people do, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 X.Libertines.x

This may seem like a bit of a 'simple' question, seeing as everyone else seems to know what it is... but what's LCVP?? :/

I, too, suffer from 'I used to know.. then I did TY' syndrome :D but I am so, so glad I did it - looking back there is NO way I would have been ready to go into 5th year straight from 3rd year, it would have been horrific... a lot of people seem to regret doing it, but I think it was for the best... what about extra subjects outside school, worth doing or not? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

This may seem like a bit of a 'simple' question, seeing as everyone else seems to know what it is... but what's LCVP?? :/

Leaving Cert Vocational Programme.
    The primary goal of the LCVP is to prepare young people for adult life by ensuring that they are educated in the broadest sense, with an ability to cope and thrive in an environment of rapid change. Participants in the programme are encouraged to develop skills and competencies fundamental to both academic and vocational success.

Advertisement