Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Well, the problem I have is..
    I just came to Ireland 2 years ago, I started in Transition Year, I had NO idea about Leaving Cert system...At the end of the TY, the ''intelligent career guidance'' woman said that I need higher level Maths and it was too late to be done, now I'm stuck with ordinary level.
    Plus being from Asia, I have No Irish and no French which leaves me out of those two...I've been exempted from Irish but I need a forgein language..Now I'm trying to contact my old school regarding my own language results in which I got 96%.

Do you mean your max is 560 then? Irish doesn't count as a foreign language anyway, and as you moved here after you were 11 (I think it's 11) your expemt anyway.

As for a foreign language i didn't have one either, But recently took up japanese as it a 2 year course. If you definately need a language and your other one doesn't work out for you, perhaps you should look into either japanese or russian as they are leaving cert courses, but decide quick.

And if you have too, it's better to repeat 6th year and get what you want than to take a course and change after first year and then still not be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Do you have a first language other than English? You should check whether you can take it as a leaving cert subject. You could also look into taking up business/geography, a lot of people do it because you can learn it pretty fast. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

Yes, I've checked with some universities, they do accept my Language.
    I had a chat with my dad the other day, I'm really into bussiness, and I would consider it as a subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Anybody go to the trinity open day yesterday? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

Yo... Anybody know how many medicine places there are in the country? I heard there was only about 450?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

patar wrote: »
    Yo... Anybody know how many medicine places there are in the country? I heard there was only about 450?

Yeah, I think that 450 was the figure mentioned in the medicine thread here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've heard 475 at all the open days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I've heard 475 at all the open days.

I was close enough :p I'm not sure if that figure includes the planned increase in places at NUIG as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

patar wrote: »

Me :D I'm literally gonna study my ass off, I HAVE to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

The 2012 sraith pictuirs have been released for anyone interested :)
    http://www.examinations.ie/exam/Gaeilge-ShraithPictiur2012.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I didn't realise you knew what they were beforehand :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

M&S* wrote: »

I have NO idea what these are, for the oral?

Do we need to prepare for all 20? :S Or can you choose which one to talk about?

storm2811 wrote: »
    I have NO idea what these are, for the oral?
    In the oral one of them will be asked and you've to describe it as far as I know.

I'd say we prepare all 20 like the sliochts? I've no idea tbh thought I'd throw em up here anyways.

Parents Teacher meeting tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

According to my teacher, you have to prepare all 20, and they'll pick one at random in the oral. Also, as well as just them asking you about the picture, and you describing it, YOU also have to ask THEM questions!

All 20?! Gotta love how that's after they've made the course easier, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

According to my teacher, you have to prepare all 20, and they'll pick one at random in the oral. Also, as well as just them asking you about the picture, and you describing it, YOU also have to ask THEM questions!

Oh my god :eek: And do you get to choose which one you describe? :confused:
    God I HATE irish :(

Lucky that I'm exempted!! :D

In the oral one of them will be asked and you've to describe it as far as I know.

I'd say we prepare all 20 like the sliochts? I've no idea tbh thought I'd throw em up here anyways.
    leaveiton wrote: »
    Sweet. Jesus.
    Namlub wrote: »
    +1
    Lucky that I'm exempted!! :D
    Die! D:

• Advertisement

And what is a sliocht? Oh god I'm going to fail Irish so badly...

I'm not sure, but I get the impression that it'll just be a case that the examiner hands you one picture out of 20, and asks you to describe it, so there's no choice. I'm not 100%, though, so you may keep up the wishful thinking. I know I will! :p

And what is a sliocht? Oh god I'm going to fail Irish so badly...

They were paragraphs which you had to prepare before the oral (tbh I'd say they were harder) but afaik you also will be asked to read out one of the ordinary level poems on the course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Yeah you read out a poem, which I don't really mind, my pronounciation is good enough, it's just thinking of stuff to say that's freakin me out.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Did they ever actually say that they were making it easier though?

Or just that there would be more emphasis (and more marks) for oral / language skills ... which in fairness is what a lot of people (including on this forum) have argued for over the years.

Did they ever actually say that they were making it easier though?

Or just that there would be more emphasis (and more marks) for oral / language skills ... which in fairness is what a lot of people (including on this forum) have argued for over the years.

Yeah fairer would have been a better word :o
    And I wasn't criticising the fact the course has been changed, but I thought it had been changed so there's less emphasis on rote learning; 20 sraith pictuirs are going to require a LOT of rote learning tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

Hahah f**kers i love irish :D But 20 straitheanna? >:[ And my teachers is actually worse than useless... Since the start of the year all we've done is four poems and 2 prose... then for the oral at christmas she told us to learn 3 paragraphs off by heart >:(

I don't think the sraith pictiúir will be too bad, to be honest. Yeah, there are a lot of them, and I do think there's a very large amount, and you will have to learn off stuff for each. But surely seeing them in the exam will help to prompt you if you forget bits? I only skimmed over a few of them, but they don't seem too complicated. Could be an easy enough 80 marks!

Is it like the document or do you have to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

for the oral at christmas she told us to learn 3 paragraphs off by heart >frown.gif

We haven't even started doing any oral yet :(. I am so getting grinds next year :(

Advertisement