Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

We haven't even started doing any oral yet :(
    It's never too early to dive into it! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

It's never too early to dive into it! cool.gif

I know we have a load of our french one done but my irish teacher is useless :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I hate English. These poets are so boring, and I hate the way you have to look at their body of work instead of just the poems. I mean thats like studying an artist and just taking a quick look at his paintings. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

HELL YES! The English course really needs to change... Like the idea is to get you to like poetry? How the hell can you actually like it when you hafta focus on assonance and onomatopoeia?! It's actually the most pointless thing ever.

The worst part is though is I really like poetry, like I read it in my spare time. I love Sylvia Plath, but pretty sure studying her work is going to ruin it for me. Surely the course is supposed to make you like poetry, not poets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I know what you mean, they put so much emphasis on the poet and being able to talk about the common features in their poetry that the poems themselves only seem to be there to back up those points. We've only done Kavanagh and Boland so far though, and I'm not really a fan of either anyway, Boland just seems to be asking for English teachers to over-analyse her poetry tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Namlub wrote: »
    I know what you mean, they put so much emphasis on the poet and being able to talk about the common features in their poetry that the poems themselves only seem to be there to back up those points. We've only done Kavanagh and Boland so far though, and I'm not really a fan of either anyway, Boland just seems to be asking for English teachers to over-analyse her poetry tbh...

I HATE KAVANAGH.:mad:

He's such an ass, like "oh I met this girl and I love her, but she left me so now she's a cold, fake bitch"

or

"Yeah, I'm great and all so, make sure I get a bench,k? Not a big tomb or anything, just a bench, cos I deserve it".

"OH I'm just so great, those other kids, they don't get it, they're too stupid".

What a bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

storm2811 wrote: »
    I HATE KAVANAGH.:mad:

He's such an ass, like "oh I met this girl and I love her, but she left me so now she's a cold, fake bitch"

or

"Yeah, I'm great and all so, make sure I get a bench,k? Not a big tomb or anything, just a bench, cos I deserve it".

"OH I'm just so great, those other kids, they don't get it, they're too stupid".

What a bollox.
    I agree I hattttteeeee Kavanagh for some reason.. I love Sylvia Plath though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yeah, I'm also in the hating English camp. It was never a subject that I really enjoyed at Junior Cert, and now at Leaving Cert, I really just hate it.

We've only completed Seamus Heaney so far in poetry, and we're studying Sylvia Plath now. Absolutely hated Heaney, but I love Plath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I despise Maths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I agree I hattttteeeee Kavanagh for some reason.. I love Sylvia Plath though
    leaveiton wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm also in the hating English camp. It was never a subject that I really enjoyed at Junior Cert, and now at Leaving Cert, I really just hate it.

We've only completed Seamus Heaney so far in poetry, and we're studying Sylvia Plath now. Absolutely hated Heaney, but I love Plath.

Plath is very easy to write on, as is Adrienne Rich. I like English overall, we're doing our comparitive studies now.

The Constant Gardener for our film, Girl with a pearl earring for the book and A dolls house (Henrik Ibson) For the play. What is everyone else doing for these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

baz2009 wrote: »
    I despise Maths.

My maths teacher likes to say on a regular basis that : ''all maths is easy'' and ''we love our maths'' :D

I'm actually finding it much easier recently, got 96% in my last test! What part of the course is everyone on now?

We've done all of algebra, trigonometry, and the line, and we're half way through the circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Plath is very easy to write on, as is Adrienne Rich. I like English overall, we're doing our comparitive studies now.

The Constant Gardener for our film, Girl with a pearl earring for the book and A dolls house (Henrik Ibson) For the play. What is everyone else doing for these?

We're doing How Many Miles To Babylon as our novel, Casablanca for our film and I think Sive for our play.

We're halfway through HMMTB and I must say I like it.

baz2009 wrote: »
    I despise Maths.

No see there is a nice subject where the answer is the answer. None of this faffing around with subjectivity like English :P I used to hate maths and love English at JC, now I'm totally the other way round :P

In English we are on act 4 of Hamlet and have Boland, Kavanagh and half of Frost done plus language work. In maths we have all of algebra, co-ordinate geometry, the line and about a quarter of the circle done

The Constant Gardener for our film, Girl with a pearl earring for the book and A dolls house (Henrik Ibson) For the play.
    What is everyone else doing for these?
    Jealous :(
    We're doing How Many Miles to Babylon, Inside I'm Dancing and Dancing At Lughnasa, my teacher likes to go for the easy/obvious options...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

AFAIK we're doing Circle of Friends, Sive and Inside I'm Dancing.

We're doing statistics in maths (honours) and Christ is it boring. Too much reading, not enough numbers!

I used to hate maths and love English at JC, now I'm totally the other way round :P
    I'm actually finding it much easier recently, got 96% in my last test! What part of the course is everyone on now?

I'm exactly the same! :D I'm seriously liking this project maths business ;P xD In english we've done plath, hamlet and we're halfway through heaney. and for the comparitive we're doin how many miles to babylon, inside i'm dancing and dancing at lunasa. in maths we've done algebra, co-ordinate geometry, geometry, the circle and some other bullshizzzzzzz ;D

No see there is a nice subject where the answer is the answer. None of this faffing around with subjectivity like English :P I used to hate maths and love English at JC, now I'm totally the other way round :P

In English we are on act 4 of Hamlet and have Boland, Kavanagh and half of Frost done plus language work. In maths we have all of algebra, co-ordinate geometry, the line and about a quarter of the circle done
    I kinda feel like that too about Maths surprisingly! In English we have finished Hamlet, Kavanagh, Plath, Comprehensions and general stuff. In Maths we've done: Algebra, Arithmetic, Complex Numbers, Co-ordinate geometry, Areas and Volumes and about half way through Differentiation.. Our teacher is a fast paced psycho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

We're doing How Many Miles to Babylon, Inside I'm Dancing and Dancing At Lughnasa, my teacher likes to go for the easy/obvious options...

Exact same here. How Miles to Babylon was crap I thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

storm2811 wrote: »
    Exact same here. How Miles to Babylon was crap I thought..
    Same here. :/ I wish she'd just chose something more difficult but also more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

How strange, we're also doing all 3 of those. :confused:

We're doing Wuthering Heights, Casablanca and Pride and Prejudice i think!

It's because they're the 3 that are done in Key Notes methinks.

I think we are doing Casablanca, Sive and a book of some kind, but we haven't started them. I have an essay diary to write about a lonely people living alone, and whenever I have to write these think my teacher is going to be like 'God this girl has so many problems!' :P

It's because they're the 3 that are done in Key Notes methinks.

What eees theeese 'key notes' you speak of?

Guessing that's the 'I have no imagination' option then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

We're doing Hamlet in the compartive, along with How Many Miles to Babylon and Inside I'm Dancing. A Doll's House is our single text.

patar wrote: »
    What eees theeese 'key notes' you speak of?
    It's the Bible of LC HL English.
    If you don't have it, you should seriously get it before it sells out because it's absolutely invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Would it not be better to get that book and do different texts using the motifs in it? Surely examiners are sick of those notes? Maybe I'm wrong, perhaps some teachers could shed some light on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Even if they were sick of those notes they can't really not give you the marks, and the poetry and texts change every year aswell.

Advertisement