Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Namlub wrote: »
    Higher, why? :)

Also lawds, just been on examinations and you need to know 6 poems for each poet?! The fuck, we only do 4! Gah, my english teacher is looking increasingly crap...

We're told at higher level we need to talk about at least 4 poems in our essays. 5 or 6 is better though!

So you're teacher isn't wrong in doing 4 poems but maybe say to them or cover an extra poem per poet yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

We're told at higher level we need to talk about at least 4 poems in our essays. 5 or 6 is better though!

So you're teacher isn't wrong in doing 4 poems but maybe say to them or cover an extra poem per poet yourself?
    That's what we were told too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I agree about the PLC courses btw, I'll certainly be putting one down as my 2nd choice (do you even apply to them through the CAO?)
    No, PLCs are normally local application, they certainly don't go through CAO.

No, PLCs are normally local application, they certainly don't go through CAO.
    What do you mean? You apply directly through the college like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What do you mean? You apply directly through the college like?
    Yes, normally, or occasionally centrally though the local VEC.

Just contact the college / school / centre where the course you're interested in is held, they'll put you right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Thats weird, I've nearly been thinking the same thing to some extent. I saw a few courses at the TCD open day I'd never thought of before like biochemistry and medicinal chemistry which looked interesting and so much less stressful. The major issue is though, if you do medicine, you are a doctor. Obvious career path. If you get one of the other degrees, who knows where you end up, working for a pittance in some lab.

I was there too, I thought the chemistry molecule modelling course was fascinating, but I don't have honours maths...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

we should've met up done gay activities! :L

One day we shall! Except I think the extent of the gay activities going on that day was endlessly wandering round trying to find different buildings. I am not good with maps :P

One day we shall! Except I think the extent of the gay activities going on that day was endlessly wandering round trying to find different buildings. I am not good with maps :P
    We could've gone to the shopping soc for me and the... football one for you. :rolleyes:

My interest in football is mostly based on the girl I like who sits beside me in school being really crazy into football. :P

There was a shopping soc? I only went to the general society and sports meeting.

I have no idea, I was just saying stereotypes :)

• Advertisement

I have no idea, I was just saying stereotypes :)

There was a pirate party soc.

And it had nothing to do with pirates. Nothing at all. I was disappoint :( :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

barbarians wrote: »
    We're doing How Many Miles To Babylon as our novel, Casablanca for our film and I think Sive for our play.

We're halfway through HMMTB and I must say I like it.
    Namlub wrote: »
    Jealous :(
    We're doing How Many Miles to Babylon, Inside I'm Dancing and Dancing At Lughnasa, my teacher likes to go for the easy/obvious options...
    Ally7 wrote: »
    AFAIK we're doing Circle of Friends, Sive and Inside I'm Dancing.

We're doing statistics in maths (honours) and Christ is it boring. Too much reading, not enough numbers!
    storm2811 wrote: »
    Exact same here. How Miles to Babylon was crap I thought..
    Same here. :/ I wish she'd just chose something more difficult but also more interesting.
    How strange, we're also doing all 3 of those. :confused:
    I think we are doing Casablanca, Sive and a book of some kind, but we haven't started them. I have an essay diary to write about a lonely people living alone, and whenever I have to write these think my teacher is going to be like 'God this girl has so many problems!' :P
    leaveiton wrote: »
    We're doing Hamlet in the compartive, along with How Many Miles to Babylon and Inside I'm Dancing. A Doll's House is our single text.

Repetitive teachers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

^ I know right, there are so many good books on the list for the comparative but no-one seems to do them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Repetitive teachers!!!

We're doing The Great Gatsby and Dancing at Lughnasa (second one not fully sure yet), although admittedly, we're doing Casablanca as our film (seems to be a popular choice here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

RHRN wrote: »
    We're doing The Great Gatsby and Dancing at Lughnasa (second one not fully sure yet), although admittedly, we're doing Casablanca as our film (seems to be a popular choice here)

Yeah, havent seen anyone doing any of my ones (The constant gardener (film), Girl with a pearl earring (book) and a dolls house) except one person who's doing a dolls house, but not as part of their comparitive.

Yeah, havent seen anyone doing any of my ones (The constant gardener (film), Girl with a pearl earring (book) and a dolls house) except one person who's doing a dolls house, but not as part of their comparitive.

Well the other English classes in my year are doing Constant Gardner and Dolls House, we're the only ones in our year doing what we're doing

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

AFAIK we're doing Circle of Friends, Sive and Inside I'm Dancing.

We're doing statistics in maths (honours) and Christ is it boring. Too much reading, not enough numbers!

That's so true!
    Thankfully we're finished that now :) The rest is so much better!

For English we're doing Emma, Inside I'm Dancing and something else. We haven't done much so far though, too much switching of teachers :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Just dropped to OL maths, and its WAY too easy, struggling to pass HL though (Failed Christmas, 20-30% in tests mostly, highest was 78). Have no idea if I should switch back up and at least be challenged in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

frantic190 wrote: »
    Just dropped to OL maths, and its WAY too easy, struggling to pass HL though (Failed Christmas, 20-30% in tests mostly, highest was 78). Have no idea if I should switch back up and at least be challenged in some way.

;/ You should probs go back up... like pass maths won't be worth the paper it's written on with all the bonus points... like a d in honours is worth an a1 in pass now XD

patar wrote: »
    ;/ You should probs go back up... like pass maths won't be worth the paper it's written on with all the bonus points... like a d in honours is worth an a1 in pass now XD

nope, D3 in honours = distinction in lcvp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I did the exact same thing and found pass waaay too easy so I went back to honours. If you put in a little poor work you could pass it and the 25 extra points are a real bonus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I've been hearing a lot about the bonus points for maths only being awards to a C3/C1 or higher? Please tell me this isn't true! :eek:

M&S* wrote: »
    I've been hearing a lot about the bonus points for maths only being awards to a C3/C1 or higher? Please tell me this isn't true! :eek:

Its only higher, but a flat extra 25 points is awarded for whatever grade you get, from D3 upto A1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Anyone else feel like they're doing way too much work for 5th year? I've spent 5 hours this weekend so far and I still have extra to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Anyone else feel like they're doing way too much work for 5th year? I've spent 5 hours this weekend so far and I still have extra to do :(

I know how you feel! I get a ridiculous amount too, by the time i'm finished i have no time to study :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Flabangav wrote: »
    I know how you feel! I get a ridiculous amount too, by the time i'm finished i have no time to study :(
    I get barely any homework to be honest.. Haven't touched any homework/study at all this weekend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

When I came home I thought I had hardly no homework, but my Irish learning took ages, stupid Irish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Havn't been round these parts in a good while. How are ye all? Shocking to think it's already mid february. Where's the year gone. Since christmas the whole work load across all subjects has sort of sky rocketed. We've finished Hamlet and are doing about 2 exam questions a week now in English. We've 2 Irish poems done and 2 pros nearly done along with a good rake of oral work. We finished the line now in Maths now aswell.:D

Appl maths we're nearly done projectiles, german is still hammering away at Grammar :mad:, doing regions in Geography, waves in Physics and then doing SolidWorks at the minute in DCG. It's not that bad really oh and this time next week it's MIDTERM :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

CianDon wrote: »
    Havn't been round these parts in a good while. How are ye all? Shocking to think it's already mid february. Where's the year gone. Since christmas the whole work load across all subjects has sort of sky rocketed. We've finished Hamlet and are doing about 2 exam questions a week now in English. We've 2 Irish poems done and 2 pros nearly done along with a good rake of oral work. We finished the line now in Maths now aswell.:D

Appl maths we're nearly done projectiles, german is still hammering away at Grammar :mad:, doing regions in Geography, waves in Physics and then doing SolidWorks at the minute in DCG. It's not that bad really oh and this time next week it's MIDTERM :D:D:D

Oh man Solidworks was the bane of my life back in TY, i much preferred google ketchup :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Oh man Solidworks was the bane of my life back in TY, i much preferred google ketchup :rolleyes:

Don't mind it at all really. A bit of crack. Much better than the pencil and paper

Advertisement