Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I wouldn't call it a terrible job but I wouldn't call it amazing either. She never takes up our copies and I could miss 2 weeks and not have missed any new Irish. I don't think I know any more Irish now than I did in September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I wouldn't call it a terrible job but I wouldn't call it amazing either. She never takes up our copies and I could miss 2 weeks and not have missed any new Irish. I don't think I know any more Irish now than I did in September

Hey, I know less Irish now than I did in Second Year, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Superbus wrote: »
    Hey, I know less Irish now than I did in Second Year, but that's just me.
    You're not alone.

Only now am I starting to realise how much I've wasted the year...there's like what, about 10 weeks left including Easter and I'm still stuck in the TY mindset :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

How far along are people in HL Irish?
    All poems and pros done, 20 pics for the oral done, loads of other oral work done, loooooooooooads of grammar and we're about 1/4 of the way through what we have to read of A Thig Ná Tit Orm. My teacher is a crazy bitch though, she gives us way too many notes and they're seriously college level. She makes me wanna drop to pass.
    And she's always like oh nobody has the standard for honours, we're way behind, if you don't get 100% in this test you're going to pass, if you don't know the stuff after 13 years of doing Irish you're pathetic blah blah blah. Hate her.
    Joey. wrote: »
    You're not alone.

Only now am I starting to realise how much I've wasted the year...there's like what, about 10 weeks left including Easter and I'm still stuck in the TY mindset :(
    Well the year started off really well for me, until sometime around mid-september when I stopped giving a shíte. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

All poems and pros done, 20 pics for the oral done, loads of other oral work done, loooooooooooads of grammar and we're about 1/4 of the way through what we have to read of A Thig Ná Tit Orm. My teacher is a crazy bitch though, she gives us way too many notes and they're seriously college level. She makes me wanna drop to pass.

:eek:

We have done about 7 or 8 poems. I've lost count at this stage. She flies through them so fast I dont know what's going on and she give us NO notes :(.. We've also done some basic oral, two of those oral pictures, 2 stories, a lot of grammer, a good few comprehensions and a few essays. Oh how I hate my teacher!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

I love being fluent in Irish :D
    Yeah I though we were behind but it doesn't seem that bad now :/ We've all of our poetry and short stories covered. A little listening comprehension and my new teacher speaks Irish pretty much all the time (=

:eek:

We have done about 7 or 8 poems. I've lost count at this stage. She flies through them so fast I dont know what's going on and she give us NO notes :(.. We've also done some basic oral, two of those oral pictures, 2 stories, a lot of grammer, a good few comprehensions and a few essays. Oh how I hate my teacher!!
    I've promised the notes to so many people but I honestly can't find the time to type them up >< I will get them to you, trust me, but it will most likely be summer. :/

I've promised the notes to so many people but I honestly can't find the time to type them up >< I will get them to you, trust me, but it will most likely be summer. :/

Omg you are so good :D No rush with them :). If you don't no worries.. I'm hoping she will decide to give u brilliants notes next year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

What are these pictures for the orals you're talking about? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I do OL, and we have done 3 poems, 3 stories, Comprehensions, Stories, Tapes and 1/2 chapters of Oral. My teacher is a total bit** though! All Irish theachers must be the same from what i've read here! How far are ye guys in Maths?. Have any of ye started Paper 2 (Project Maths) yet?. We've done all the Q's on Paper 1 (Arithmetic, Algebra, Complex Numbers, Differentiation, Graphs & Functions, Sequences & Series) I think our teacher is dreading teaching us the new syllabus! :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

We've done two poems, two pros, An Triail, some oral, grammar and about six essays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    What are these pictures for the orals you're talking about? :confused:

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/Gaeilge-ShraithPictiur2012.pdf

I do OL, and we have done 3 poems, 3 stories, Comprehensions, Stories, Tapes and 1/2 chapters of Oral. My teacher is a total bit** though! All Irish theachers must be the same from what i've read here! How far are ye guys in Maths?. Have any of ye started Paper 2 (Project Maths) yet?. We've done all the Q's on Paper 1 (Arithmetic, Algebra, Complex Numbers, Differentiation, Graphs & Functions, Sequences & Series) I think our teacher is dreading teaching us the new syllabus! :L

We've done all of Algebra, Circle and Line and we're doing Calculus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

We've done co-ordinate of the line and circle and also trigonometry. It's not too bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ugh, my results in the last few tests I've done have been the worst all year. For the few weeks after midterm I seemed to be doing the the hardest parts of all my subjects, things are alright now though...

Guys I feel like we're so far behind in English. We've done Hamlet but we've only done 1 essay on it so far, we've done a poet and a half, we've done 3 comprehensions and a little bit of short story writing and about 1/3 of our novel for the comparative. Is this very far behind for this stage of 5th year? :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Guys I feel like we're so far behind in English. We've done Hamlet but we've only done 1 essay on it so far, we've done a poet and a half, we've done 3 comprehensions and a little bit of short story writing and about 1/3 of our novel for the comparative. Is this very far behind for this stage of 5th year? :S
    Nah, it all depends on if ye understand it fully that's the main thing. We have done 4 poets (Kavanagh, Plath, Rich & Boland) Hamlet & Essays, Comprehensions and we're starting "How Many Miles To Babylon" next week. We had 2 teachers for English this year though so we've been doing a huge variety of things!

I'd say your alright because you're doing the novel, but you would want to be doing more essays than that. We've finished reading Hamlet, analyzing it now and we get an essay on it a week. Then we've done Kavanagh, Frost and Boland, we're now doing Plath and we've done short stories, letters, articles, editorials and we're just starting speeches. Overall I'd say we'd get one big essay and one small essay a week, sometimes 2 big essays and a small essay.

Otherwise, I really don't like Calculus at all. :mad::mad: Going to have to spend the whole weekend messing with it.
    Namlub
    Ugh, my results in the last few tests I've done have been the worst all year. For the few weeks after midterm I seemed to be doing the the hardest parts of all my subjects, things are alright now though...

OMG same here, I've gone from all 90s down to the 70s, I need to get my arse back in gear and start doing some proper work again, I've been so lazy, the whole '**** I've a year and a half left of this place and these awful people' is starting to be a bit of a downer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Before anyone starts panicking about Irish here just think of me: No proper Irish teacher from September to January and all we did which I consider slightly beneficial is reading An Triail. Since January we've done 5 comprehensions, 1 poem, 1 pros, a bit of oral work and a lot of tapework. So, good times all ahead :P

In maths (HL) we've done all of algebra, trigonometry, co-ordinate geometry of the line, half of statistics and half of complex numbers, I don't think that's too bad.

Went to Hamlet today, I wouldn't say it was bad but there were things which I interpeted differently to what was presented on stage, if that makes sense! Plus Hamlet no. 1 still hasn't recovered so Hamlet no. 2 was on instead and he had to carry a script for the whole thing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

We haven't read hamlet yet and have done basically no poetry. So we win. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I don't know if we're behind in English or not. We have all our single text work for this year done, and so far we've watched Inside I'm Dancing, and we're currently reading How Many Miles to Babylon. We've done Seamus Heaney in full and are nearly finished Sylvia Plath. We've also done some functional writing - diary entry, speech, letter, interview, report, review, and we've done one comprehension.

The thing is, though, the only essays we've written have been for two tests we've had. We get questions on each text/poem every night, but they're usually quite specific, short questions. I don't know if we're doing okay at all.

leaveiton wrote: »
    I don't know if we're behind in English or not. We have all our single text work for this year done, and so far we've watched Inside I'm Dancing, and we're currently reading How Many Miles to Babylon. We've done Seamus Heaney in full and are nearly finished Sylvia Plath. We've also done some functional writing - diary entry, speech, letter, interview, report, review, and we've done one comprehension.

The thing is, though, the only essays we've written have been for two tests we've had. We get questions on each text/poem every night, but they're usually quite specific, short questions. I don't know if we're doing okay at all.

My situation is similar to yours, but we have two poets covered but no comparative. I think we're leaving most of the essay writing until 6th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Ally7 wrote:

Went to Hamlet today, I wouldn't say it was bad but there were things which I interpeted differently to what was presented on stage, if that makes sense! Plus Hamlet no. 1 still hasn't recovered so Hamlet no. 2 was on instead and he had to carry a script for the whole thing :P
    Ooh I'm just back from it, I thought Hamlet 2 was good for an understudy tbh and he didn't really use the script so I barely noticed after a while. I see what you mean about interpreting it differently and the outfits bothered me for some reason. Also the king having to move the set while making his dramatic exit kind of ruined it

Namlub wrote: »
    Ooh I'm just back from it, I thought Hamlet 2 was good for an understudy tbh and he didn't really use the script so I barely noticed after a while. I see what you mean about interpreting it differently and the outfits bothered me for some reason. Also the king having to move the set while making his dramatic exit kind of ruined it

Yeah I did think he was a good actor, the script just seemed in the way at times! My friends in 6th year said he was hamlet last year as well, which was probably why he was such a good understudy. I thought they had just picked hamlet out of the crowd at first when he came on with jeans and runners :P but yeah I still think it was worth seeing, I thought polonius and hamlet were the best actors though!

I have a calculus test after school monday week :( Kill me now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Caoimhelicious

A girl mailed me about that post asking me to send on the Irish notes, I'll send them to you too if you'd like! :)
    Really? :/ All of my teachers are class, apart from my biology teacher and the sub that i'll have for this year while my savage chem teacher is on maternity leave : )

Hey just wondering if maybe you could send them to me as well please, im really stressing because our teacher hasnt a clue and i need to pass higher level! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I think we're behind in English, but we've read Emma, Hamlet and watched Inside I'm Dancing. We've only just finished our first poet though, and we haven't really answered any questions on anything besides the poet :S We're on our second teacher this year and she's pregnant so we won't have her next year either! It's a mess!

Hey just wondering if maybe you could send them to me as well please, im really stressing because our teacher hasnt a clue and i need to pass higher level! :eek:

Sure, just send me a PM saying it so that I'll remember to send them to you too!

Question for you, if you have the diagonal bisector of a parallelogram and you want to get the longer side at the bottom, how can you get it? I only have the bisector, nothing else.

• Advertisement

Question for you, if you have the diagonal bisector of a parallelogram and you want to get the longer side at the bottom, how can you get it? I only have the bisector, nothing else.
    I have absolutely no idea. :D

Advertisement