Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

English: Heaney, Rich, Plath, Hamlet, Casablanca, The Great Gatsby, and a good bit of comprehension and short stories aswell, a couple of personal essays too.

Irish: Not a lot, really worrying. Two poems, three stories, some grammar, and an essay. The other class nearly has most of the course finished! (Honours)

Maths: (Project Maths pilot school) Stats 1, Stats 2, Trig, Co-ordinate Geometry (Line), Algebra, Starting calculus tomorrow.

Biology: Food, Cell Structure, Cell Diversity, Enzymes, Enzymes (advanced) and Energy carriers, Respiration, Diffusion and osmosis, Cell Devision, Classification and Heredity, DNA and RNA, Genetic Crosses, Variation and Evoluton, Genetic Engineering, Human Nutrition, The Nervous System, Musculoskeletal system.

Physics: All of light, all of sound, and in Mechanics up to Work, Energy and Power.

Religion: Half of the section A book, and most of section B.

Chemistry: Chemistry Live Chapters 2-7, 9, 12, 13, 16

Applied Maths: Covered Q's 1-5 and halfway through Statics atm.

Anyone else really worried about Irish? Seems like we've nothing done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

RHRN wrote: »
    English: Heaney, Rich, Plath, Hamlet, Casablanca, The Great Gatsby, and a good bit of comprehension and short stories aswell, a couple of personal essays too.

Irish: Not a lot, really worrying. Two poems, three stories, some grammar, and an essay. The other class nearly has most of the course finished! (Honours)

Maths: (Project Maths pilot school) Stats 1, Stats 2, Trig, Co-ordinate Geometry (Line), Algebra, Starting calculus tomorrow.

Biology: Food, Cell Structure, Cell Diversity, Enzymes, Enzymes (advanced) and Energy carriers, Respiration, Diffusion and osmosis, Cell Devision, Classification and Heredity, DNA and RNA, Genetic Crosses, Variation and Evoluton, Genetic Engineering, Human Nutrition, The Nervous System, Musculoskeletal system.

Physics: All of light, all of sound, and in Mechanics up to Work, Energy and Power.

Religion: Half of the section A book, and most of section B.

Chemistry: Chemistry Live Chapters 2-7, 9, 12, 13, 16

Applied Maths: Covered Q's 1-5 and halfway through Statics atm.

I feel your pain! My Irish class has nothing done.

I feel your pain! My Irish class has nothing done.

Ours is a year head for one of the years too, so sometimes he just leaves for most of the class, that and he gets distracted really easily! And when it was brought up he just says "Dont worry, we'll finish the course easily!" Not so sure :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Here's what we've done so far anyways:

Irish: 3 poems, 2 stories, few comprehensions, couple of emails and lots of tapework
    English: 3 poets I think, How Many Miles to Babylon, Inside I'm Dancing, speeches, an article, few essays on comparison & poetry
    Maths: Too much, bleh:(
    History: Ireland from 1900-1945 or whatever years it is, half through America 1945-89 now
    Biology: Too much again
    Art: The Renaissance, puppets, lino, posters, life drawing & still life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Maths: Algebra, The Line, Trigonometry. Differentiation, Integration, Induction, Binomial Theorem.
    Irish: Caca Milis, Óisin i dTír na nÓg, An Gnáthrud, Géibheann, An tEarrach Thiar, 4 essays, 5 picture sequences and Gníomh 1 out of An Triail.
    English: Hamlet, Kavanagh, Rich, Boland, the Five Styles of Language and Essay Writing Skills.
    Biology: Unit 1 and Unit 2
    Chemistry: Chapter 1-13, Chapter 21
    German: Working out of Deutsch Komplett now on Chapter 15, 3 picture sequences and 3 role plays.
    Music: Bach, Barry, Queen, Melody, Harmony, Music Technology, Practical.

God, we have so much to do next year......:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

:( i think my school is behind everyone else here! Especially in Biology and Chemistry, i'm really worried now!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fhfm

Maths-algebra,binomial therom
    english-hamlet,evean boland
    irish-all the prós,caca milis,all of paper 1
    physics-light,sound,waves and modern physics
    business-chapter 1-7
    chemistry-chapter 16,21,22,23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Try doing ordinary maths in a higher level class! We get nothing done, the teacher spends all his time on higher level and I've failed some tests. I basically have to do the whole course next year! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

RHRN wrote: »

Yep my teacher lives in her own little world but I dislike Irish a lot anyway, hoping it'll all just come together somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jw93

Irish: 4 Poems, 3 Pros, 3 Essays
    English: Heaney, Boland, Plath(To be finished by end of year),The Kite Runner, Atonement(To be finished by end of year)
    French: To page 148 in Formule 1, To page 92 in Bien Dit
    Biology: Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Food, Ecology, Cell Structure, Cell Diversity, Enzymes, Photsynthesis, Respiration, Diffusion and Osmosis, Cell Division, Classification and Heredity, DNA and RNA, Human Nutrition
    Engineering: Covered all Ordinary level topics this year with Higher level topics to be covered next year.
    Business: Units 1 to 4
    LCVP: Curriculum Vitae, My Place Report, Career Investigation, Enterprise Project.
    Maths(O/L): Dont care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Laauren

Maths: Algebra, The Line, Trigonometry. Differentiation, Integration, Induction, Binomial Theorem.
    Irish: Caca Milis, Óisin i dTír na nÓg, An Gnáthrud, Géibheann, An tEarrach Thiar, 4 essays, 5 picture sequences and Gníomh 1 out of An Triail.
    English: Hamlet, Kavanagh, Rich, Boland, the Five Styles of Language and Essay Writing Skills.
    Biology: Unit 1 and Unit 2
    Chemistry: Chapter 1-13, Chapter 21
    German: Working out of Deutsch Komplett now on Chapter 15, 3 picture sequences and 3 role plays.
    Music: Bach, Barry, Queen, Melody, Harmony, Music Technology, Practical.

God, we have so much to do next year......:(

:eek: We are only on chap. 4! My teacher is soo bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Student2

English : Just Hamlet and a bit of Casablanca :/ My teacher is awful though..
    Irish : Loads, too much to mention :)
    Maths : Algebra 1 & 2, Calculus 1 & 2 and from project maths Trigonometry and Statistics 1 & 2 .. it's been suprisingly easy so far! :D
    French : All letters, lots of grammar/comprehensions/oral and abstract topic
    History : Finished the US 1945-89 one and now more than half way through northern ireland
    Physics: In book = up to chapter 18 (but left out chapter 12 circular motion)
    Biology : 24 chapters from all over the book. My teacher told us she's way ahead compared to where she was this time last year with her present leaving certs.
    Overall I think I'm fine, except for English... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Student2 wrote: »
    Biology : 24 chapters from all over the book. My teacher told us she's way ahead compared to where she was this time last year with her present leaving certs.

I'd say! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

English: 2 poets done, Heaney and Plath. Finished our single text work for this year, watched Inside I'm Dancing and currently going through it, also reading How Many Miles to Babylon, done a good bit of functional writing, and started on comprehension.
    Irish: 5 poems, 4 prose, 4 essays, a load of comprehensions, all the oral questions in the book (though it's not a great book, there's not much) all the grammar in the book (skimmed over), and a few listening comprehensions.
    Maths: Not quite sure, we don't have a book, and we tend to just dip in and out of stuff. We've done some algebra, differentiation, integration, the circle, few other things.
    Biology: About 16 chapters, a few experiments.
    Chemistry: About 12 chapters and a good few experiments.
    German: All the grammar on cases, a few tenses, comprehension, about 7 oral topics, a lot of aural work.
    Music: Tchaikovsky, Queen, Irish music, started on melody writing, a lot of practical work, general aural work.

Thought we were doing well and quite ahead in a lot, doesn't seem that way after seeing all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Too early to start studying for summer tests ya? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Nope sure it's never too early! I know for Business our teacher said The Changing Management chapter was coming up so i'm going to learn that.. Other than that god knows what's going to come up! Anyone on here do Economics?

Yeah doing it outside school it's grand like easy enough!

Yeah doing it outside school it's grand like easy enough!
    Me too! Hey what exactly have you covered in the course? Chapters etc. What book do you use do you mind me asking?

I'm repeating 5th year so i have the course covered already as I was doing with two lads who are in 6th year so i continued on with them!I'm doing it two years and i don't know the name of the book :o the donal o'grady one?

I've started for maths and physics but not the rest of them, mainly because those subjects fell by the wayside a bit in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

I'm repeating 5th year so i have the course covered already as I was doing with two lads who are in 6th year so i continued on with them!I'm doing it two years and i don't know the name of the book :o the donal o'grady one?
    Awh cool! Yeah I took it up after Christmas this year and just have to do The Market Structures, Factors of Production and Costs and i'm finished! Hope to get it finished before summer holidays start! Do you do many exam questions or what?. I have no teacher so it's tough sometimes to keep up!

We do all exam papers it's the job!Do that going back as far as 99/98 and you'll know the stuff inside out,keeps repeating itself especially section A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I've an Irish oral on the 4th of May and it's only worth 40% of my summer test, like in the big quiz. We have to learn all 20 pics and every oral topic we've done so far this year, which is everything except the abstract topics. :( I've resigned myself to getting about 5% in it though so s'all good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I've an Irish oral on the 4th of May and it's only worth 40% of my summer test, like in the big quiz. We have to learn all 20 pics and every oral topic we've done so far this year, which is everything except the abstract topics. frown.gif I've resigned myself to getting about 5% in it though so s'all good smile.gif

Ye have done all twenty pics already? :eek:

Ew, got to talk to the vice principal tomorrow about moving Irish classes. Just gotten to the stage now where I can't let this go any further or I'm never going to get the mark I need in the LC. The other class will be finished the course by christmas, do all oral till the orals and then all the time after to revise. It seems like everyone here is more or less in the same league as that class too. At the rate we're going we'll be lucky to finish by the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Ye have done all twenty pics already? :eek:
    Yup! :O And most other oral notes, 5 poems, 5 pros, short stories, ****ELOADS of grammar and we'll be finished A Thig Ná Thit Orm by Friday! My teacher's a lunatic! :O

I think we're sorta behind in English though, although my teacher's really good. :/

@Crayola - You definitely should, and get your parents to ring in aswell if they have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Anyone considering applying to the U.K.?

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Anyone considering applying to the U.K.?

Yeah, Maths in Cambridge or ICL... maybe Natural Sciencs/Comp Sci in Cambridge too is what I'll be putting down

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I don't think it's too early to start studying for summer tests. I'm planning on starting this weekend cause we're getting everything since september in most of my subjects so I have a lot to cover:/

Geography:all of Regional geography, Plate tectonics, Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Folding & Faulting, Rocks, Karst, Weathering, Rivers, Earth's structure

English: Hamlet, Inside I'm dancing, Dancing at Lughnasa, Plath, Boland, Rich and we'll be finished How many miles to Babylon next week

Chemistry: ch. 1-13 in Chemistry live

Biology: Food, Cell structure, Enzymes, Cell diversity, Diffusion and osmosis, Cell division, Classification and heredity, genetic crosses, variation and evolution, blood, heart and vessels, lymphatic system, human nutrition, human breathing, the nervous system and the senses

Maths: loads

Art: Have all of Irish history finished including Newgrange and the Rock of Cashel, Vermeer, Metsu and Da Vinci

German: All of the picture stories and Rollenspiels and chapters 1-11 in Deutsch Komplett... ://

• Advertisement

Its kind of mad the year is nearly over. Did anyone else find that after Christmas the workload dropped hugely? I just remember at the start of the year constantly having to study to keep up with new material, now I don't seem to have nearly as much

Advertisement