Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

^I do pass Maths and pass French and I don't do LCVP, so all I've had this year is English,Business,Chemistry and Biology to work for. I go to an Irish school so we don't really have to work for Irish. I've studied constantly for those 4 subjects, but overall the workload hasn't been much at all. I'm planning on doing two extra subjects over the summer tho, so that will be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Its kind of mad the year is nearly over. Did anyone else find that after Christmas the workload dropped hugely? I just remember at the start of the year constantly having to study to keep up with new material, now I don't seem to have nearly as much

It actually did. I remember I could hardly keep up with the homework and I didn't have time for anything. Now I do my homework and have time to at least get on the treadmill for an hour...Still loads of work but not as much as before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Its kind of mad the year is nearly over. Did anyone else find that after Christmas the workload dropped hugely? I just remember at the start of the year constantly having to study to keep up with new material, now I don't seem to have nearly as much

It's the complete opposite here :(. I get so much homework. I literally come home from school, do my homework and go to bed. I have no time to do anything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm having one of those phases where I think I know what I want to do with my life so I'm being really productive, I wish it would last :( But yeah, I've been getting loads since the last mid-term but looking at how much of their courses some people in this thread have done, I'm a lot further along than I realised so I guess it's paying off...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Guys... we're Irish... just stop worrying about 5th year and go out and get hammeredddd :D Sure we'll be graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I feel i've done good enough work this year though! Like i've done a good few exam questions and that and I always seem to do pretty well in them! The only thing i'm worried about is English. I got an A in JC HL, and went back this year and was getting like B2-C1's in Essaya and that, but then we've changed teachers and every essay or anything i've handed up has gotten an A2.. Moral of the story is, I have no idea what to aim for in English at all! :?, anyone else have this problem, what ways do ye study English?

I'm having one of those phases where I think I know what I want to do with my life so I'm being really productive

I'd love to know what I want to do with my life. If I did I think I'd actually study more to try and achieve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I think my English has finally started improving, managed to break out of the the 35/50 zone and now I'm getting roughly 43/50 so happy days!! Turns out I wasn't referring back to the question enough and thats where most of my marks were being lost.

I think I've done a reasonable amount of work this year and more than most of my friends but tbh I could have done a lot more in the second half of the year (most of that could actually be attributed to boards, going to have to ban myself from here next year!). I could have done more maths and physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I see my vow to stay up to date with this thread failed miserably. :-)
    6th Year is now only about 5 school weeks away :-O It's hard to see where the year went. Mabye it was the the workload. All the subjects are tipping away nicely. We're about halfway through the novel for English, through complex numbers in Maths, DCG isn't too bad, Im delighted with Appl. Maths as pulleys and stuff is quite easy. After 3 months were near the end of Waves in Physics and sher Geography is grand as the Deutsch. Irish is grand as well but we're all over the place. We've covered parts of everything but not finished anything.
    I was up at NUI Galway there last week and hopefully at UCC this week as it's not too long till we'll have the CAO to fill out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Ew, got to talk to the vice principal tomorrow about moving Irish classes. Just gotten to the stage now where I can't let this go any further or I'm never going to get the mark I need in the LC. The other class will be finished the course by christmas, do all oral till the orals and then all the time after to revise. It seems like everyone here is more or less in the same league as that class too. At the rate we're going we'll be lucky to finish by the exam.
    Be careful though, if the teacher has the course done and is just going to revise you might end up never learning it properly.
    My Irish teacher is a bit slow too I think :/ For JC my teacher absolutely PILED on the work, when I went to the Gaeltacht I learned nothing, I knew everything already. This year we've done 5 poems or so, 2 prose but not in a lot of detail, a bit of oral work and now we're reading things on the importance of the Irish language which I assume is going to be part of an essay on Gaeilge i mo shaol or something. :P

Anyway, we've done this much:
    English: 6 poets and thats all we're doing, Hamlet, some comprehensions. Love my teacher. :)
    Maths: Algebra I and II, Trig I and II, Co-ordinate geometry of the line, and we're sort of doing the two differentiation chapters at once.
    French: I'm not sure really...we do a fair bit of work and I learn a lot, we just did pronouns, I'm not worried anyway :)
    Geography: All physical. East/West Ireland, Mezzogiorno, Paris Basin almost done too. I think we're doing the field study after Easter.
    History: ughhhhhhhhh. we're on book #2 but I seriously learn nothing, my teacher is beyond terrible. Gives us an essay once in a blue moon, gives it back 3 weeks or more later...doesnt even correct them. :mad:
    Business: Chapter 17 of 26 now. He should have the course done by November he said. But I find business sort of hard, I mean, its so much to learn and so hard to remember what's what, too many terms! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm working my way through what the other teacher has done, so I'm hoping she won't mind if I ask her to correct a couple of essays for me. I might have to write off the summer exams, but at least I'll catch up otherwise because all they'll be doing next year is revision. Don't even know if I'm in yet though :(

One more week till the Easter hols :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

One more week till the Easter hols :)
    I cannot wait even though I'll probably be cramming for the summer tests..but at least it will be a break from school..I think everybody needs it by this time of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Schonie wrote: »
    I cannot wait even though I'll probably be cramming for the summer tests..but at least it will be a break from school..I think everybody needs it by this time of the year

I know, i plan to study loads during the holidays. I never have enough time during school, with all the homework we get!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Flabangav wrote: »
    I know, i plan to study loads during the holidays. I never have enough time during school, with all the homework we get!
    I always plan on studying.. and then I end up not studying at all! D:
    Gotta really try this Summer though.. gotta prove everyone wrong and show em I can get all As. :D
    Haha, I hope.. .. xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Bubbleope wrote: »
    I always plan on studying.. and then I end up not studying at all! D:
    Gotta really try this Summer though.. gotta prove everyone wrong and show em I can get all As. :D
    Haha, I hope.. .. xD

Just be careful. You will burn out next year if you haven't relaxed enough. Sixth year isn't just a continuation of fifth year, it's a whole other level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Aoifums wrote: »
    Just be careful. You will burn out next year if you haven't relaxed enough. Sixth year isn't just a continuation of fifth year, it's a whole other level.

I can't wait now.

I can't wait now.

Buzzer Aoife 2k9!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Aoifums wrote: »
    I know.. lah. My poor little brain! XD That's why I wanna revise a good bunch I did this year before Leaving Cert starts though. (:
    Don't worry.. I will relax too.. :D Mmm can't wait for sleep-ins! :D

I'm soo lazy to study. I find it so hard to study over the hols :( so must try do a bit every evening.. Like that will happen :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm soo lazy to study. I find it so hard to study over the hols :( so must try do a bit every evening.. Like that will happen :rolleyes:

I've an Irish oral on the day we come back after Easter. We have to learn all 20 pics and loads of topics. I'm going to end up leaving everything until the last minute and probably spend my birthday studying. :(

Anyone here that does business, how far have ye gone in the course?. We're just starting Marketing Monday!

Anyone here that does business, how far have ye gone in the course?. We're just starting Marketing Monday!

We just started the chapter before that on Monday, identifying opportunities in the business world purple book.

KKBL wrote: »
    We just started the chapter before that on Monday, identifying opportunities in the business world purple book.
    Thanks! How are you finding Business?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

We've just finished Tax and Insurance, not sure how much more we have to do this year...

I've an Irish oral on the day we come back after Easter. We have to learn all 20 pics and loads of topics. I'm going to end up leaving everything until the last minute and probably spend my birthday studying. frown.gif

Ouch you poor thing. We've only done 6 of them pictures. I hate them :(

We are on chapter 17, expanding the business.

Thanks! How are you finding Business?.

I love it, I find it really interesting and I'm good at it. Most people in my class hate it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'm on chapter 17 too. :) I like business but its sort of frustrating. I know things but get confused about which sort of heading they'd go under. I really need to study more in it I think...I might even do some now. :D I might do some/all of the book's sample q's over summer idk :/

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Who else plans on studying this summer?

• Advertisement

Flabangav wrote: »
    Who else plans on studying this summer?

I'm planning on covering a whole new subject over the summer! :eek:

Advertisement