Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

AlanBr wrote: »
    I was just wondering that at the moment I'm interested in a certain course with low enough points but I'm aiming for around 120 points more than that so if I do end up choosing that course is their any need putting that much work in? :confused:
    Also does that mean this course isn't as regarded as say a course with a much higher point requirement in Trinity for example...I want to stay local :)
    No, it just means that the course isn't as popular. More people go to college in big cities. e.g I was looking at a course in Dublin for 485, one in Waterford was 380 and same course title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

ConTheCat wrote: »
    No, it just means that the course isn't as popular. More people go to college in big cities. e.g I was looking at a course in Dublin for 485, one in Waterford was 380 and same course title.

And if you had the choice which would you go to?

The reason the points are higher is also because the degree is well regarded/it's thought the lecturers are better, thousands of people have to move for third level education in Ireland, the amount of people attending colleges in Dublin isn't really reflective of the amount of students from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm just gonna jump in and be a total lurk here and say that points has nothing to do with standard really, it's all supply/demand. If only 10 people (or the number of people the course allows in, to explain better) decided to apply to Law and French in Trinity, and they averaged at about 300 points, the entry requirements would be around 300 points. So yeah...obviously for matriculation purposes, that mightn't work out well but you get the idea.

I shouldn't know this but I'm odd, mhmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Slow Show wrote: »
    I'm just gonna jump in and be a total lurk here and say that points has nothing to do with standard really, it's all supply/demand. If only 10 people (or the number of people the course allows in, to explain better) decided to apply to Law and French in Trinity, and the person with the lowest points got 300 points, the entry requirements would be 300 points. So yeah...obviously for matriculation purposes, that mightn't work out well but you get the idea.

It's actually that. The lowest, not the average.

Oh um yeah, that's what I meant to say >.>

• Advertisement

I'm just gonna jump in and be a total lurk here and say that points has nothing to do with standard really, it's all supply/demand. If only 10 people (or the number of people the course allows in, to explain better) decided to apply to Law and French in Trinity, and they averaged at about 300 points, the entry requirements would be around 300 points. So yeah...obviously for matriculation purposes, that mightn't work out well but you get the idea.

Everybody knows the CAO works by supply and demand. There isn't somebody sitting in the CAO saying "Dublin is better than Waterford, make it 100 points more." I was just explaining that there are other factors influencing student choice.

As for the course title take for example Science in NuiM (365 points) or Tcd (460 points), then there's Science (exact same course title) at Sit (195 points). Science in Sit gives you only a lv 6 nfq certificate, whereas Nuim or TCD give you a lv 8. Which is a huge factor in how well an employer might regard a degree. *Breath* :pac::pac:

Sozzles I'm procrastinating. :p yeah I geddit, sure I live at a fair enough distance from NUIG but I wanna go to Dublin because I'm sick of getting places being so much effort and I want to be able to order pizza to be delivered to my house. All very good reasons relevant to what course I do. :p

And I like being condescending and right sometimes. :L

Sozzles I'm procrastinating. :p yeah I geddit, sure I live at a fair enough distance from NUIG but I wanna go to Dublin because I'm sick of getting places being so much effort and I want to be able to order pizza to be delivered to my house. All very good reasons relevant to what course I do. :p

And I like being condescending and right sometimes. :L

That's okay. I know if I wanted to stay in Mayo, i'd have a heard time trying to attend university. Thank Christ I don't. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Ye all get yere results soo early.
    Knowing my school I won't have them till september :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

If Law and French in Trinity was 300 points it would make my life. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Same here, we always get them so late. Spent the whole of today looking up courses after realizing I don't really know what I want to do anymore :(

Same here, we always get them so late. Spent the whole of today looking up courses after realizing I don't really know what I want to do anymore :(

I'm the exact same. Everytime I have a peek through the courses I end up changing my mind each time. Dreading the CAO next year :(

I used to be dead set on medicine, then the more I look into the working conditions here the less I want to do it. We are a very, very small country, is something else I have realized. Currently I'm thinking along the lines of these sorts of courses, so if anyone else has any suggestions.

Radiation Therapy at TCD
    Medicinal Chemistry at TCD
    Radiography at UCD
    Medicinal Chemistry and Chemical Biology at UCD

I don't know what a BA would do for me in the scheme of all things scientific either, as a lot of the degrees I'm interested in are Arts.

I used to be dead set on medicine, then the more I look into the working conditions here the less I want to do it. We are a very, very small country, is something else I have realized.

Ya that's true :( But you could always go and work abroad for a while? :)

I'd love to move to France but I don't think my French will ever be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭james no.1

whilei t is supply and demand, the reason there's more demand for certain courses is because they're better. e.g. some courses/colleges have international accreditation while others don't thus making them more favourable for any prospective employers

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

And if you had the choice which would you go to?

The reason the points are higher is also because the degree is well regarded/it's thought the lecturers are better, thousands of people have to move for third level education in Ireland, the amount of people attending colleges in Dublin isn't really reflective of the amount of students from Dublin.

Hmm really stuck in the middle about them tbh, not sure what'll be number 1 or 2.. My careers teacher said something like (can't remember exactly) the points on a course, is the highest amount of points someone got whom applied for the course? Sorry that prob sounds bad :L

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

I got 5 a's a b in english (one percent away from an A ><) And 48 percent in maths when i didn't even study for it! *win*... but yeah i used to be certain that medicine was the path for me but now :/ dunno :P I love languages and i'd love to study em in uni... but no moneys and jobs out of languages apart from teaching :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I used to be dead set on medicine, then the more I look into the working conditions here the less I want to do it. We are a very, very small country, is something else I have realized. Currently I'm thinking along the lines of these sorts of courses, so if anyone else has any suggestions.

Radiation Therapy at TCD
    Medicinal Chemistry at TCD
    Radiography at UCD
    Medicinal Chemistry and Chemical Biology at UCD

I don't know what a BA would do for me in the scheme of all things scientific either, as a lot of the degrees I'm interested in are Arts.

I'm the exact same as you, being a doctor seems like such a tough life, and I hate how everyone knows that I was interested in medicine because so much is expected of me :( But I think I'd love the course itself, it seems so interesting, it's the working after it that worries me.

Biomedical science could be another one to put down, I'm kinda interested in that as well :)

Same! I've spent the whole of this year making clear medicine isn't the be all and end all for me, so then if I don't do it people won't think its because I couldn't get the points. Just when you read the health sciences forum, it sounds awful. 32 hour days, pushing trolleys across hospitals, moving from place to place every few months. :(

The course itself sounds great, just it really ties you down to a certain path I don't know if I'm prepared to take. I'm not afraid of hard work but I want a life. Then as regards all the sciencey courses, I don't want to be working for half nothing in a commercial lab that will probably move to India either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Same! I've spent the whole of this year making clear medicine isn't the be all and end all for me, so then if I don't do it people won't think its because I couldn't get the points. Just when you read the health sciences forum, it sounds awful. 32 hour days, pushing trolleys across hospitals, moving from place to place every few months. :(

The course itself sounds great, just it really ties you down to a certain path I don't know if I'm prepared to take. I'm not afraid of hard work but I want a life. Then as regards all the sciencey courses, I don't want to be working for half nothing in a commercial lab that will probably move to India either.

:P

No joke! When I was on work experience, a junior doctor fell asleep writing charts because he'd been there for 72 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

My half-brother only just got full-time employment as an anesthetist. He's 41.

He had to move to Milwaukee for 3 years and London for 2 in order to advance his qualifications.

He only became fully qualified like 5 years ago.

He sees his kids for about an hour a day, maximum, unless he's on call, in which case he can hang around with them, but they can't go very far or do anything particularly interesting.

He went to Rome for a week a couple of months ago to a medical conference yoke, never actually got into the city.

He does love his work, I think, but there are a LOT of negatives.

So yeah, keep that in mind with medicine. It's a vocation, not a job.

A vocation is no excuse for horrible working conditions though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I don't know on the whole med thing, my parents are doctors but their quality of life sucks...

What I'd love to know is after doing medicine, is becoming a doctor your only choice? I think I could be interested in doing research or something similar as well.

I don't think research is an option, first off we're too small for any important research to come here and secondly I think they prefer to just hire scientists.

Bleh, what's the point in college? I think I'm just gonna live at home for the rest of my life, spending my days on boards giving out about stuff.

My career quidance counsellor recommended I go for dentistry, the pay is still good but the hours are much better and you're under much less pressure.

But teeth are gross though :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭james no.1

Ally7 wrote: »
    Bleh, what's the point in college? I think I'm just gonna live at home for the rest of my life, spending my days on boards giving out about stuff.

My career quidance counsellor recommended I go for dentistry, the pay is still good but the hours are much better and you're under much less pressure.
    dont listen to everything you r career guidance teacher says or take it as gospel. they have their own prejudices, interests, and so their neutrality and fairness cannot be guaranteed

Advertisement