Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

james no.1 wrote: »
    dont listen to everything you r career guidance teacher says or take it as gospel. they have their own prejudices, interests, and so their neutrality and fairness cannot be guaranteed

But I think I'd actually like to do dentistry, surprisingly teeth don't disgust me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Happy Summer :)

Haven't been around in a while, I will try and be a more dedicated contributer next year.

I'm just wondering...I was looking at this:

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S90_10_Imlitir_Roinne_Scruduithe_IV_EV.pdf

It's about our (2012 + After) Irish exam...and I'm confused.

Paper 1 - Aural and Essay/Debate etc. - Fine
    Paper 2 - Comprehensions, 1 q from 1 of the 5 prose pieces, 1q from 1 of the 5 poems...and something else called the additional literature.

I can't make out if the additional literature question comes from another of the 10 pieces (depending on if you pick the poem or prose section for it)...or something else.

Our class has spent about 1/3 of the year doing a novel...so I do hope that the novel can be used...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Theres some sort of situation where every does 5 poems plus a novel or a play or they just do 10 poems. That must be what additional literature is.

I hate summer. I'm lonely and all my friends live in awkward places and then they're going to the gaeltacht for the whole of July :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I hate summer.

:eek:

But at least when its school I see my friends everyday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

But at least when its school I see my friends everyday!

Yaaa... But with school it's all early mornings and sleep deprivation... Gahhhh totes looking forward to September >< :(

On the subject of sleep deprivation, I'm sick of dawn being so early in the goddamn morning. I want to stay up till 4 watching shows online and still be able to sleep, but its bright again by 3.30!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Fancy setting up a class so Crayola, even for a chat and see what we can each take as our topic of choice? I'm up to my eyes at home here and away from July but feel free to take the reins, it's not my baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

patar wrote: »
    I got 5 a's a b in english (one percent away from an A ><) And 48 percent in maths when i didn't even study for it! *win*...

Exact same as you :O except i got 97 in maths ;) I got 78 in irish tho but cant complain :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

In fairness lads, some people just have serious trouble with maths and foundation level is what they can manage. No need to make a mockery out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

havent been on this thread on a while ... :) lolz hows everyones summer going ? any reports back yet ? :)
    In fairness lads, some people just have serious trouble with maths and foundation level is what they can manage. No need to make a mockery out of it.
    i dont think they making fun of it i think they saying they'd love to do a paper like that :) like compared to higher maths ... no offense intended (well only my opinion )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Can't wait to get back into the books in September you guys! :)

i dont think they making fun of it i think they saying they'd love to do a paper like that :) like compared to higher maths ... no offense intended (well only my opinion )

Exactamundo! :D I wasn't slagging them off... I would just love to do that paper instead of all the crap in the honours one :P

... In fairness though the LCA and Foundation papers are totally ridiculous like... They're talking about building a smart economy and all that bullshizz but they give that as an option?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Exactamundo! :D I wasn't slagging them off... I would just love to do that paper instead of all the crap in the honours one :P

... In fairness though the LCA and Foundation papers are totally ridiculous like... They're talking about building a smart economy and all that bullshizz but they give that as an option?!?

Do it then.

havent been on this thread on a while ... :) lolz hows everyones summer going ? any reports back yet ? :)

Exactamundo! :D

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be bitchy or anything and it seems I misinterpreted it, I just feel some people have very snotty opinions when it comes to foundation level. :)

M&S*, you better be joking :eek:

Ally7 wrote: »

M&S*, you better be joking :eek:

haha you defo better be joking :O lolz still i'm kinda excited guys like c'mon last year of school i've been waiting for this for god knows how long :)

I hope everyone is working hard on their scary senior student face this summer. We get to yell at people in the halls because we're old and have the LC now:P

I hope everyone is working hard on their scary senior student face this summer. We get to yell at people in the halls because we're old and have the LC now:P

Not a word of a lie... I've been practicing for that since the end of school... I've been staring at myself in the mirror and shouting... I made myself cry once :cool: :pac:

• Advertisement

Not a word of a lie... I've been practicing for that since the end of school... I've been staring at myself in the mirror and shouting... I made myself cry once :cool: :pac:
    hahaha :) love it :) havent praticed mine yet cz i'm a pro :P jk jk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

On the subject of sleep deprivation, I'm sick of dawn being so early in the goddamn morning. I want to stay up till 4 watching shows online and still be able to sleep, but its bright again by 3.30!!
    Black-out curtains ftw <3 I've gotten into my normal summer sleeping schedule of about 6am - 2pm, but I have a job this summer. It reeeeeeeeally sucks ass when you fall asleep at half 4 and have to work at half 7 :(

Anyway, my results came back. I'm happyish.
    Irish HL - 70%
    English HL - 70%
    French HL - 83% (:()
    Chemistry HL - 64% (but I cheated in this :rolleyes:)
    Biology HL - 48% (No study, love my life!)
    Business HL - 45% (WHAT. THE. FUCK. I studied a lot for this and I thought my answers were good.)
    Maths OL - 79%

Grand total of 405pts I think. Very average. Story of my life.

Black-out curtains ftw <3 I've gotten into my normal summer sleeping schedule of about 6am - 2pm, but I have a job this summer. It reeeeeeeeally sucks ass when you fall asleep at half 4 and have to work at half 7 :(
    haha i have had a job all 4th year and all 5th year :( sucked so much but i need the money to pay my way through college :( dont keep your job on for 6th year... trust me you will go insane :( but on a brighter side you can afford things now :)

I'm known for my dirty looks, no need to practise. Plus, I can make myself cry. All prepared for 6th year so :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

haha i have had a job all 4th year and all 5th year :( sucked so much but i need the money to pay my way through college :( dont keep your job on for 6th year... trust me you will go insane :( but on a brighter side you can afford things now :)

I'm going to have to go to college in Galway because unless I get a job wherever else I want to go my parents just can't afford it. :/ But yeah, it's great having money but I have nothing to spend on stupid stuff that I want, gotta save for Oxegen, London and a new laptop!

I'm going to have to go to college in Galway because unless I get a job wherever else I want to go my parents just can't afford it. :/ But yeah, it's great having money but I have nothing to spend on stupid stuff that I want, gotta save for Oxegen, London and a new laptop!

Same boat :P :D I'm just gonna borrow it all :/

you live in galway? :) i'm from kilkenny and i havent a clue where i will go to college :( galway is on my list though :) oooh i also saving for a car and a nice holiday in a couple of years :O i wish i was going to Oxegen .... :(

Is anyone here going to be working in 6th year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

Well....right now im 5/6th's of the way through the Leaving Cert. All exams done except Chemistry which isnt for another 5 days! (Lovely break)

There are a couple of things i could tell you lot who are going into your last 2 years, which i wished someone would have told me:

1) Dont believe the hype!
    yeah, the LC is all hype. Tbh, these two weeks have been sooo chill. There is far too much hype put on these exams by parents, teachers and the media and this just ends up putting pressure on you. Completely unnecessary. If you follow the course in class, get your bit of study in beforehand, it really isnt that bad.

2)Exam Papers
    God i wish i had realised this sooner. Knowing the format of the exams and the type of questions you are going to get asked is the key to success. It is your goal. Its very hard to complete a course and understand what your doing, unless you realise why your doing it!!!
    The best example of this i can give is Geography. Its an ice-cold december monday morning, its black outside and your falling asleep in Geog class while your teacher is harping on about farming in the south of Italy. You naturally wont be paying attention, cause you have no idea why you need to know this bulls**t.
    however if you are familiar with the type of questions they ask in the LC exam, you'll realise that this section comes up every year and really is something you should make notes on. You'll find that some courses are 50% crap that is not needed at all for the LC, that is just thrown in to bulk up the textbook or some other reason, and when you come down to study in the months before the exams, you realise how much sh*t you can cut out. Knowing the past papers tells you exactly what you can cut out.
    Bottom line is this: Its impossible to motivate yourself unless you know the goal you're working towards and exactly what you need to know.

So that was my long-winded way of basically saying; Get your exam papers now in 5th year and study them nearly as much as you study the subject itself. And this goes for every subject. Trust me! I wish someone had told me this 2 years ago.

Oh...and good luck! Don't worry, 5th yr is a bit of kick in the arse after TY, but after September you'll be well in your stride.

These two years will be your best school years. You work hard, but play harder. The craic is what you make it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Same as. I've 7 younger siblings I mind a lot, one with special needs so I should have babysitting coming out my ears!!!

Advertisement