Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Black-out curtains ftw <3 I've gotten into my normal summer sleeping schedule of about 6am - 2pm, but I have a job this summer. It reeeeeeeeally sucks ass when you fall asleep at half 4 and have to work at half 7 :(

Anyway, my results came back. I'm happyish.
    Irish HL - 70%
    English HL - 70%
    French HL - 83% (:()
    Chemistry HL - 64% (but I cheated in this :rolleyes:)
    Biology HL - 48% (No study, love my life!)
    Business HL - 45% (WHAT. THE. FUCK. I studied a lot for this and I thought my answers were good.)
    Maths OL - 79%

Grand total of 405pts I think. Very average. Story of my life.

That's really good:) Well done.
    BTW, the average points is around 275 (saw it on a newspaper) so you're well above average!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Ally7 wrote: »
    Is anyone here going to be working in 6th year?

I will be :O :) preparing for the breakdowns :O anyone else?
    Anyway, my results came back. I'm happyish.
    Irish HL - 70%
    English HL - 70%
    French HL - 83% ()
    Chemistry HL - 64% (but I cheated in this )
    Biology HL - 48% (No study, love my life!)
    Business HL - 45% (WHAT. THE. ****. I studied a lot for this and I thought my answers were good.)
    Maths OL - 79%

Grand total of 405pts I think. Very average. Story of my life.
    That's really good Well done.
    yeah btw congrats :) thats brilliant :) i havent got mine back yet :( hoping for 500 + but i dont think i got it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Geo10 wrote: »
    That's really good:) Well done.
    BTW, the average points is around 275 (saw it on a newspaper) so you're well above average!
    275, really? :O That's a lot lower than I expected. Thanks!
    I will be :O :) preparing for the breakdowns :O anyone else?

yeah btw congrats :) thats brilliant :) i havent got mine back yet :( hoping for 500 + but i dont think i got it :(
    Thanks! I'm sure you got 500! What are you aiming for in the leaving?

!

Thanks! I'm sure you got 500! What are you aiming for in the leaving?

haha doubt it messed up history and maths :(
    em well the courses with most points i'm aiming for is 480 but could increase so i'm hoping for a solid 500 and if i get 500 i can get a scholarship :) which will certainly help in this economic climate :)
    wbu ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Does anyone feel like their foreign language has gotten waaay harder this year?
    Last year (in 3rd year) I was getting all 98s in German, found it really easy (not being cocky or anything) and tbh easily got an A in the JC.
    However, this year I'm hoping I passed my Summer Exam. We got comprehensions and written piece from a past paper and I could barely understand it! I feel I'd be lucky to get a D3 in German now and up until now it was always one of my favourite subjects! :(:confused:

• Advertisement

Last year (in 3rd year) I was getting all 98s in German, found it really easy (not being cocky or anything) and tbh easily got an A in the JC.
    However, this year I'm hoping I passed my Summer Exam. We got comprehensions and written piece from a past paper and I could barely understand it! I feel I'd be lucky to get a D3 in German now and up until now it was always one of my favourite subjects! :(:confused:
    germans been ok .. but we are only doing ordinary level in 5th and moving on to higher in 6th which worries me as i heard there is a massive gap between them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

where are you people getting jobs? i desperately looked for one this year and NOTHING! :(

where are you people getting jobs? i desperately looked for one this year and NOTHING! :(

got mine in a supermarket ... lucky to get it i suppose... had the job for nearly 2 years now ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I used to do so much babysitting but last couple of weeks its like everyone fell off the edge of the earth. I want money again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

haha doubt it messed up history and maths :(
    em well the courses with most points i'm aiming for is 480 but could increase so i'm hoping for a solid 500 and if i get 500 i can get a scholarship :) which will certainly help in this economic climate :)
    wbu ? :)

I was wondering can you only receive scholarships if you are in a poor state financially or does that matter? (not including sports).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

AlanBr wrote: »
    I was wondering can you only receive scholarships if you are in a poor state financially or does that matter? (not including sports).

No I don't think so. One example is UCC, if you get over 570 points (I think) and if your course is not over this, you can get a scholarship. Other colleges (UCD or TCD I think) can give you money towards your books if you get over a certain amount of points (I think it's around the 550 mark upwards, but I'm not positive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

germans been ok .. but we are only doing ordinary level in 5th and moving on to higher in 6th which worries me as i heard there is a massive gap between them :(

This is how my teacher taught us German, there is a gap between the two, which is why you start at ordinary, very very few people could go from JC German to higher level LC German without the bridge of covering ordinary. Altough we never got on ( she tried to have me expelled/I almost got her sacked), she's one of the best German teachers in Ireland and wouldn't change the way she taught us. Are you happy with what you've covered thus far?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I'm the exact same, except with Spanish! I easily got an A in the Junior Cert as well, and I'm honestly not sure if I even passed my summer exam. We had questions from a past honours paper. I want my report to arrive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Student2

I got my report in the post this morning :p :
    Irish HL A1 95
    English HL A1 90 (Thrilled with this one!)
    Maths HL B1 80
    History HL A2 88
    French HL B1 82
    Physics HL A1 95
    Biology HL A1 93

YAY, happy overall.. with a bit of work I can hopefully get better grades in some of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Student2 wrote: »
    Irish HL A1 95
    Maths HL B1 80
    History HL A2 88
    French HL B1 82
    Physics HL A1 95
    Biology HL A1 93

YAY, happy overall.. with a bit of work I can hopefully get better grades in some of them :)

Brainswap?

This is how my teacher taught us German, there is a gap between the two, which is why you start at ordinary, very very few people could go from JC German to higher level LC German without the bridge of covering ordinary. Altough we never got on ( she tried to have me expelled/I almost got her sacked), she's one of the best German teachers in Ireland and wouldn't change the way she taught us. Are you happy with what you've covered thus far?
    I am to a certain point .. we've done 10 chapters of our book but there is still 11 chapters left to do next year :( and we have done most of our oral work 3 picture sequences , 3 roleplays and lots of general questions but i know there is a lot left to do :( But my german has improved greatly this year :) wbu?
    AlanBr wrote: »
    I'm not too sure to be honest , grants perhaps? different colleges have different scholarships aswell so prob depends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Doesn't depend on money in all colleges (if any!) as my cousin received one and they're grand financially. One for getting over 550, the other for sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I've never heard of this grant for over 550 either, sounds good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I've never heard of this grant for over 550 either, sounds good though.

Well it's more of a scholarship than a grant afaik. A lot of colleges seem to give them for over 550-570 points, you'd have to check with the respective colleges for the exact number though. There's also the All-Ireland Scholarship, I know nothing about it but there were threads about it here!

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Brainswap?

Heh heh heh! :p
    I think it's just my talent for waffling that got me most of those grades!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

Ally7 wrote: »
    There's also the All-Ireland Scholarship, I know nothing about it but there were threads about it here!

The All Ireland one is for students who have a medical card there's only like 2 per county though :/ Which would suckkkkkk if you were from Dublin...

And on the whole languages thing... I think they're grand actually... I've never studied fer French and I've always gotten over 90% and with Deutsch... I'm doing that myself so I dunno how good I am but I think I'm alright :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

patar wrote: »
    The All Ireland one is for students who have a medical card there's only like 2 per county though :/ Which would suckkkkkk if you were from Dublin...

And on the whole languages thing... I think they're grand actually... I've never studied fer French and I've always gotten over 90% and with Deutsch... I'm doing that myself so I dunno how good I am but I think I'm alright :P

There's 100 for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I work in a shellfish factory, yanking arms of crabs. :pac: Hows that for class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

A few years ago, someone who got over 580 in my school got a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Well I did pretty **** in my summer tests :/
    Oh well :rolleyes:

Irish HL A1 95
    Maths HL B1 80
    History HL A2 88
    French HL B1 82
    Physics HL A1 95
    Biology HL A1 93

Well done!

Fuck you. Just, fuck you! :rolleyes:

Well done!

Fuck you. Just, fuck you! :rolleyes:

Sorry, just thought everyone was sharing their results..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Pretty sure he was joking, why so serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

He was joking, sincerely well done on those startlingly impressive results :)

• Advertisement

I was joking, your results are incredible, well done! :D

Advertisement