Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Princessxx wrote: »
    haha I know you :)
    Omg, you don't sit beside me in Chemistry, Business, Irish and usually Maths, do you? :p
    Ya and the first day we spent the whole class reading the table of contents :rolleyes:. Ya we are halfway through our second chapter in biology! How come everyone has started on Hamlet? We started the poetry! Hamlet wasn't even on our booklists :rolleyes:
    Well the first chapter is only like 8 pages! We did one of the exam questions at the end of the chapter and the teacher was like "Now, after one class we can already answer a LC question!" he thought he was so great, but everyone in my bio class is gonna fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

We started with poetry too, not doing Hamlet untill next year.
    Finally finished one poem, only took about 6 classes.rolleyes.gif

Ya same. I'm thinking it is going to take us that long too if not longer :rolleyes:
    Well the first chapter is only like 8 pages! We did one of the exam questions at the end of the chapter and the teacher was like "Now, after one class we can already answer a LC question!" he thought he was so great, but everyone in my bio class is gonna fail.

Ya i know try telling that to our business teacher. I an soo going to FAIL.. Ya our bio teacher isn't supposed to be great either but I don't think she is too bad YET :rolleyes:

Ya same. I'm thinking it is going to take us that long too if not longer :rolleyes:

Ya i know try telling that to our business teacher. I an soo going to FAIL.. Ya our bio teacher isn't supposed to be great either but I don't think she is too bad YET :rolleyes:
    Same with my English teacher! Everyone's like "but she's so nice!" Being nice isn't gonna be any good in June 2012 --'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

5th year is rubbish, teachers take it that I'm an idiot just because I haven't gotten my JC results back. I want to do honours English for obvious reasons but my teacher (who has no idea what I'm capable of) is convinced I'll be doing ordinary in a week! :mad:

M&S* wrote: »
    5th year is rubbish, teachers take it that I'm an idiot just because I haven't gotten my JC results back. I want to do honours English for obvious reasons but my teacher (who has no idea what I'm capable of) is convinced I'll be doing ordinary in a week! :mad:

Ya same with my maths teacher. Don't think i'll be doing honours maths come wednesday though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Ughhh...results so soon!:eek:

Is anyone else going to that higher options thing in the RDS next week?Going Thursday, they originally had it set for Friday but we think they changed it so that we'd have to come in after the results...baxtards!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

storm2811 wrote: »
    Ughhh...results so soon!:eek:

Is anyone else going to that higher options thing in the RDS next week?Going Thursday, they originally had it set for Friday but we think they changed it so that we'd have to come in after the results...baxtards!:p

What's that :confused:

5th year isn't going to bad so far! Good bit of homework tonight, though not in proper classes until after the results! Our maths teacher was like ANYONE WHO GOT A "C OR D" HAS TO DROP DOWN :mad: hoping for a B now :(

kevin12345 wrote: »

5th year isn't going to bad so far! Good bit of homework tonight, though not in proper classes until after the results! Our maths teacher was like ANYONE WHO GOT A "C OR D" HAS TO DROP DOWN :mad: hoping for a B now :(

Emm it's this exhibition where a load of colleges set up stands and hand out leaflets/prospectuses and stuff, just to give ya an idea of what you wanna do like.

Pfft,they all say that but they won't stick to it!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'm going ! Sounds great, day off school and I get a lie in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I got an A at HL JC and I'm struggling...that might be down to my brain melting in Transition year though.

My chemistry teacher is a joke. I hate teachers who read the book word for word with intonations up and down every now and again and call it teaching? Got a question? Read the book. Its not in the book? Google it. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Well just short of 2 weeks into the year I'm not finding it too bad yet anyway bar maths. Differentiation is just like getting beaten in the face over and over again for 40 mins, 7 times a week. For English we've started Hamlet and touched briefly on Boland and poetry. Started our Irish novel today as we've been a load of stuff on the oral. Havn't done much yet in my other subject (Geography, German, DCG, Physics and Appl. Maths)

BTW, I think I have found the perfect study song....... Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Woodstock live version). Was doing a bit of study yesterday and deceided to do a plate collision question for geography. Instead of doing 15 lines I expected I somehow wrote 4 and a half pages in the 13 mins of the song:eek::D

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I'm going ! Sounds great, day off school and I get a lie in!

A lie in?We leave at 9.:(
    Soo far away.:pac:

storm2811 wrote: »
    A lie in?We leave at 9.:(
    Soo far away.:pac:

We're not going at all :(

We're not going at all :(

A load of sixth years do go up too just on their own aswell, you could probably go next year without the school.:D

Hope it's good, have no idea what to do after school..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I have to say after two weeks of fifth year, I am so glad I did transition year! There is no way I could have gone into 5th year after having just done the JC!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

They can't make you drop down if you don't want to..If you reckon you can do it..tell him/her where to shove it

Dave1711 wrote: »
    They can't make you drop down if you don't want to..If you reckon you can do it..tell him/her where to shove it

Try telling that to some teachers in my school. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'm dropping out of economics to do ag science instead, left it kind of lateish but i'll catch up!!!

I'd love to go to the RDS thing next week, our schools not going though and i cant go myself as i've missed a few days school already, i'm missing a heap more in a few weeks and it takes a while to catch up on notes and stuff!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Daire10

I'm in 5th year 2 weeks now. I am now really glad I didn't do TY. The TYs are struggling to keep up and saying 5th year is "hard". Whereas two thirds of 5th years were in 3rd year last year and so far 5th year isn't one tenth as hard as JC year! It's great having absolutely no exam pressure! But I can't sleep thinking about the JC results on Wednesday!!! It's all anyone in my school has been talking about for the past 2 weeks!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Daire10 wrote: »
    I'm in 5th year 2 weeks now. I am now really glad I didn't do TY. The TYs are struggling to keep up and saying 5th year is "hard". Whereas two thirds of 5th years were in 3rd year last year and so far 5th year isn't one tenth as hard as JC year! It's great having absolutely no exam pressure! But I can't sleep thinking about the JC results on Wednesday!!! It's all anyone in my school has been talking about for the past 2 weeks!!!
    Believe me man,that's a terrible attitude to have to it!! They are lying ;)

• Advertisement

Ya same here. The ones in my class that did TY are finding it harder than ones that didn't. But I have to disagree on it not being one tenth as hard as the JC. All we are doing at the moment is revision and even at that rate it's not as easy. And i'm dreading wednesday too :(

I can't do my stupid maths. I keep getting sooo close to the answer and I'm off by a sign or something. Anyone any theories on these:

p=square root of ( (q^2-2r^2)over(2q^2+r^2) )
    Express r in terms of p&q

Or
    (2x+k)(px+q)=x(2px+2q-p)+r, for all x

Show k=-1
    q+r=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I can't do my stupid maths. I keep getting sooo close to the answer and I'm off by a sign or something. Anyone any theories on these:

p=square root of ( (q^2-2r^2)over(2q^2+r^2) )
    Express r in terms of p&q

Or
    (2x+k)(px+q)=x(2px+2q-p)+r, for all x

Show k=-1
    q+r=0

Do you have the answers there?

I'm getting [latex]\(r = \sqrt{\frac{q^2(1-2p^2)}{p + 2}}\)[/latex] for the first one, but can't be sure I didn't mess up.
    Basically I squared both sides, then multiplied the bottom half over to get rid of division and stuff and brought over the r and stuff.
    Seemed to work out alright
    I'll post the full thing if you want (and if I happened to get the right answer) but tbh I struggle getting maths stuff with fractions or powers to be in any way readable when I do it online so it'll take a while :P.

As for the second one I basically multiplied everything out and brought it all over to the left.
    Then I added q + r to it (no need to also add to the right since it equals 0) and was able to cancel an annoying -r.
    Ended up with:
    [latex]kpx + kq + px + q = 0[/latex]
    [latex]k(px + q) = - px - q[/latex]
    [latex]k(px + q) = -1(px + q)[/latex]
    [latex]k = -1[/latex]

The book has you're answer for the first one. Thank you!! The only thing is, where is the 2 on the bottom coming from? I get all the other things you've done
    Theres no answers for the second one as its just to show, so I get what you're doing for number 2. Again, thank you sooo much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

The book has you're answer for the first one. Thank you!! The only thing is, where is the 2 on the bottom coming from? I get all the other things you've done

That should've been p+2 on the bottom (at least that's what I got), but the plus wouldn't show up :S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

Glad to hear everybody's getting on pretty well. My teachers worked out pretty well apart from Geography, oh well i'll just have to work harder on it.

So far we've covered
    Irish- Geibheann to LC Standard all Exams Q'S done
    English- 3 of Sylvia Plath's poems, Child, Poppies In July & The arrival of the Bee-box. We've also done some unseen poems and Media Studies.
    Maths- Covered the Arithmetic and Algebra 1 Sections
    French- Finishes our Present tense verbs, and the Conditional Tense and the Future Proche and Simple. Still have to do the Passe Compose though.
    Geography- Covered Earth's Structure, Plate Tectonics and Started Geoecology.
    Business- Have chapter 1 done and are halfway through 2nd.
    Music- Started Cadences and some Tchaikovsky

Glad to hear everybody's getting on pretty well. My teachers worked out pretty well apart from Geography, oh well i'll just have to work harder on it.

So far we've covered
    English- 3 of Sylvia Plath's poems, Child, Poppies In July & The arrival of the Bee-box. We've also done some unseen poems and Media Studies.
    French- Finishes our Present tense verbs, and the Conditional Tense and the Future Proche and Simple. Still have to do the Passe Compose though.

Are you serious? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

Yeah deadly serious why?. Also we're doing Accounting outside of school and have done Control Accounts & Depreciation Of Fixed Accounts.
    And we started our CV in LCVP Thursday!!.

Is that pretty fast in comparison to other schools?. All I know is that our Maths teacher wants to get the majority of the course done before May of 5th year so we can relax and do lots of revision throughout 6th year.

So far we've covered
    Yeah deadly serious why?. Also we're doing Accounting outside of school and have done Control Accounts & Depreciation Of Fixed Accounts.
    And we started our CV in LCVP Thursday!!.

Is that pretty fast in comparison to other schools?. All I know is that our Maths teacher wants to get the majority of the course done before May of 5th year so we can relax and do lots of revision throughout 6th year.
    I'm gonna choose not to believe you. You've done over twice as much as us in most subjects. I can picture you telling us that you got 8 A1s in August 2012.

• Advertisement

I just don't see how you could be that far ahead in every single subject?

Advertisement