Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Years!! (2010-2011)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

How long have you been in school?It's impossible to do that much in a week, even two weeks!
    So far all I've done is:
    English: Two poems and read a few pages of our play
    Irish: Just started an essay and looked at one poem
    Maths: Complex numbers adding,subtracting and division
    History: Just started the first chapter on Thursday, before that we were looking at sources.
    Home Ec: Just finished proteins
    LCVP: Looked at layouts for the CV and just talked about the course in general
    Biology: Still doing cells
    Religion: Uhh, pretty much nothing.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Ya you simply can't have done that much already :eek:

So far all I've done is:
    English: Two poems
    Irish: A story and poem
    Maths: Factorising etc
    French: Done a good bit for the oral already.
    Biology: On to our third chapter
    Business: Finished chapter 1
    Music: Composing melodies
    LCVP: Working on our CV
    Religion: Ha very little :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

So far...

Maths: Most of the algebra chapter done

Irish: Geibheann and some bealtrial, but its like first year stuff

English: 2 poems, some play and some language stuff (we do different things on different days)

French:Loads, such a good teacher. Few reading comp,listenings,friends,music,movies.

Biology: scientific method, characteristics of life, Up to carbohydrates in food.

Chemistry: Not much :/ Just the discovery of atom chapter and first page of the arrangement of electrons

Physics: Light and mirrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pineapple 09

If anyone is serious about leaving cert its best to put in the work in 5th year. If anyone wants to get a headstart on the leaving cert I have leaving cert notes in chemistry and french on sale on ebay fom A1 student. The notes cover all topics in both subjects, I recieved 95% in leaving cert chemistry exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i havnt looked at earlier posts but durrrrrrrrrrr people.....some schools call the actual leaving cert 5th year (as in my school!) so they would have half the course or 3/4 of it done in every subject by now like myself:p:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DavidKelly1

We have been back since Thursday the 2nd. We seriously have done all that work in them subjects. The thing is though the second we go into class we are constantly working, we never take a break even during a double class. My school really does not tolerate any messing, if you mess in class and fail a subject in your 5th year exams your gone from the class. That's just the system our school has in place.

What subjects are you guys in such disbelief about?.

& Sligo no i've just gone into actual 5th year I am not doing my Leaving until 2012.

And I really doubt i will get 8A1's but i would like to!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

We have been back since Thursday the 2nd. We seriously have done all that work in them subjects. The thing is though the second we go into class we are constantly working, we never take a break even during a double class. My school really does not tolerate any messing, if you mess in class and fail a subject in your 5th year exams your gone from the class. That's just the system our school has in place.

What subjects are you guys in such disbelief about?.

I've been back since the 27th and I've done nowhere near as much as you have. It's not that we haven't been working which we have just I don't see how you've done so much! :eek:

You must be flying through everything, if we went any faster I'd be completely lost..

Yeah in all honesty we are moving pretty fast, but the teachers just do that in my school. Different rules for different schools you know?. The amount of homework we recieve though is surreal!. Average for English on a weekday is between 5-8 pages of a copy for a comprehension!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Idk if we've been moving fast but we've done...

English: Some paper 1 stuff and Act One of Hamlet, along with character analysis etc.
    Maths: Eh.. The factorising chapter and halfway through that whole quadratic/modulus/cubic one..
    Irish: Geibheann and some bealtriail
    Spanish: Mostly Grammar, though we've done some LC tapeworks
    Bio: Done The Cell chapter, just finishing the first Enzymes chapter
    Chem: The whole atoms and arrangement of electrons chapters
    Physics: Doing optics.. we've done concave and convex mirrors, learning the ray diagrams and stuff
    App Maths: Doing this outside, Just finishing Accelerated Linear Motion
    Religion: Search for meaning in music and literature.

The homework sure piles up sometimes, but its not too bad except when you get the English and Religion essay on the same day :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

We've been back since the 1st. So far we've done:
    English: Act 1, Scene 1 and Scene 2 of Hamlet and the background of Eavan Boland.
    Maths: Complex Numbers
    Irish: Don't know. I don't pay attention in this class because it's so boring.
    French: We've just been revising JC stuff so far, mainly adjectives. We did a LC comprehension though.
    Chemistry: The Mole
    Business: People in Business, Interest Groups
    Biology: The Scientific Method, Characteristics of Living Things, Food (my worst teacher, he just reads straight from the book and calls it teaching).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

Heyheyhey Honours maths is making my head hurt... Theres so much to learn and its hard... I got a b in it in the jc... i want to do medicine... so is there any point keeping it on since there's so much work involved and i could use that time for chemistry or biology or english?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

patar wrote: »
    Heyheyhey Honours maths is making my head hurt... Theres so much to learn and its hard... I got a b in it in the jc... i want to do medicine... so is there any point keeping it on since there's so much work involved and i could use that time for chemistry or biology or english?

argh same situation!! My brain is gone after TY, all that work I did in 3rd year and this stuff is so hard. I'm hoping it will just take a few weeks to get back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

My cousin in 6th year dropped to pass Maths last week, after getting 8 As in the JC, one of them being in HL Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

patar wrote: »

It's very early to be dropping yet, maybe hold on a week or two? It may get better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Kind of the same as most people...
    Maths: Finished Algebra 1, halfway throught quadratic equations
    English: Two or three comprehensions, Patrick Kavanagh background and first poem
    Irish: Six sraith phictiúr things, Géibheann and the notes with it (kind of lost with those)
    French: Just revised JC stuff mostly, especially verbs
    Biology: Flew throught the Scientific Method and Characterisitics of Life, finished the Food chapter
    Business: Finished the first chapter, stake holders in a business, contract law (nerdgasm) and that
    History: WWI and the rise of Fascism

....I actually don't even know how anyone could have done much more than that, properly anyway

yoiski people!!....hold on in hons maths for awhile anyways, i held on for one whole year and its really making the difference now this year for me in pass maths:) im flying it....so do keep it up for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

sligo. wrote: »
    yoiski people!!....hold on in hons maths for awhile anyways, i held on for one whole year and its really making the difference now this year for me in pass maths:) im flying it....so do keep it up for a while!

+1 dropped down 2 months b4 the leaving and aced the ordinary paper

Dave1711 wrote: »
    +1 dropped down 2 months b4 the leaving and aced the ordinary paper

fair play!!:D it really helps i think. i feel like the class is going at such a slow pace coming from the honours. my brother dropped from honours maths to pass 2 weeks before the exam and that was both a good and BAD decision haha! because the courses are different all the same. so dont leave it that late people but do keep it up for a while:)

O god all this talk of honours maths is making me sick :( If I don't get at least a C on wednesday off down to pass i go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Have a good bit covered:

English: Act 1 of Hamlet, started act 2

irish: geibheann mostly done

Maths: most of algebra, but our teacher was out for a few days

French: Revising junior cert stuff some aural work done

Biology: Cells done

Chemistry: Atoms and structure of atoms

Economics: I'm going to drop it tomorrow, but i've a good bit covered!!!

@DavidKelly1, are you in a grind school???

• Advertisement

O god all this talk of honours maths is making me sick :( If I don't get at least a C on wednesday off down to pass i go!

at least a C i hear you say?? there is someone in my year that still hasnt dropped hons maths (i'm in leaving cet now) that got a D in the JC!! and just so as you and everyone else knows, the JC is in essence the most pointless thing ever! so dont be over analysing your JC results and just start hons maths anyways:) then see what you think..

I feckin love pass maths.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

sligo. wrote: »
    fair play!!:D it really helps i think. i feel like the class is going at such a slow pace coming from the honours. my brother dropped from honours maths to pass 2 weeks before the exam and that was both a good and BAD decision haha! because the courses are different all the same. so dont leave it that late people but do keep it up for a while:)

True that there are some things honours dont cover so leave some time to go over those!!

Don't go down you don't have to.simple as

I'm in a private school if that's what you mean?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Daire10

So far we've done:
    Geography: Earth's Structure, Plate Tectonics, half of Volcanic Activity
    Biology: Sci. Method, Life, Food and just started Ecology
    Chemistry: The Atom and most of the Structure of Electrons
    German: Learning a lot of Vocabulary and revising all JC Grammar.
    Irish: Geibeann, Hurlamaboc, and every few classes we do Oral Irish
    English: Two poems by Eavan Bolabd, comprehensions, unseen poetry etc.
    Maths: it's all over the place classes are being sorted after results I think we were doing algebra or something in our temporary classes.
    Religion: (I'm doing it as an extra subject outside school and I covered all section A during the summer)

I'm soo nervous about the results TOMORROW!! Can't stop thinking about all of the possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

Just began fifth year, it's not too bad and there's much less LC talk than I expected but we're getting loads of homework. :eek:
    I'm doing Maths, English, Irish, French, Geography, Biology, Chemistry, and Japanese. Hopefully all honours but might have to move down to pass maths. Chemistry is pretty brutal but our teacher's good. I'm happy with Geography, seems interesting and fairly similar to JC Geog. And Japanese is the funnest class!
    Any tips from post-Leaving Cert people?

+1 with loads of homework, I spent at least 2-3 hours on it last night, they weren't lying when they said it's a big jump from JC to LC!:eek:

Seems everyone else is flying through biology, we're still on cells but we've already done and written up 4 experiments.

I only get about 20 minutes to 1 hour of homework :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I only get about 20 minutes to 1 hour of homework :D

:eek:
    How is this possible? Can I move to your school please? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Ally7 wrote: »
    :eek:
    How is this possible? Can I move to your school please? :pac:
    Tbh I only got an hour, max today. More like forty mins.
    Then again, I think this was just a lucky day :pac:

Advertisement