Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is The Greatest Extremely Rare Japanese RPG ever made

Options
  • 14-07-2010 6:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭

Let me know what YOUR opinions are

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Panzer Dragoon Saga is superb. Great story, heart warming characters, excellent cinematic battle system,sublime soundtrack and no fillerorfetch quests, just pure story.

Suikoden 2 really needs to be experienced by more people. Nice and quick battle system, 108 recruitable characters and a heartbreaking story about how war can ruin lives.

Earthbound it really rare as well. It's great for something different. It's a charming and fun RPG that gets very disturbing at the end. It also actively lampoons the RPG genre in very amusing ways.

There's really not that many ultra rare RPGs that are worth the money. Persona 2 is rare and supposedly superb but I haven't played it and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Lucifiers Call is brilliant but got rereleased recently and the price dropped. Xenogears isn't worth the price tag it goes for. Some games prices have also gotten inflated to silly proportions, FFVII being the extreme example. Why people are stupid enough to fork out 50+ euros on it is beyond me when as the second best selling game on all time on the PS1 there's literally millions of copies floating about as well as the recent PSN release.

No need for the condescending troll in bold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

What is in that re-release of Nocturne? Superb game btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing they just re-released the barebones NTSC version. Picked myself up a copy just last week :)

I see.

You needn't have picked up the NTSC version. PAL has 60hz support, if you were worried about borders and slowdown.

Everyone says Nocturne is super tough, but bar one huge a-hole, I found the game easy enough.
    I was probs a bit over-levelled though.

Well I thought it might be like the Persona games, practically full screen but slowed down to 50Hz. Anyway the PAL version is much harder to find and I've a chipped PS2 so why not? :) The box art is also nicer although Lucifiers Call is a better name. I've heard nothing but good things about it and quite a few people claiming it to be the best JRPG ever on HG101.

• Advertisement

The Pal boxart is fugly, which is odd. Usually it's the other way around.
    P3FES had awesome PAL boxart.

Nocturne might be a difficult game to get into if you started off with DDS or Persona. It gets good though... like 20 hours in.

Don't worry about me, I'm playing a bit of the first Shin Megami Tensei game, a bastard hard dungeon crawler if there ever was one! Also I've beaten some old RPGs like Phantasy Star and Final Fantasy so well used to some challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭marcuspheonix

like i have recently said in another post, i recently got my hands on an extremely rare collectors edition of Aurora Quest; Otaku no Seiza in Another World or オーロラクエスト・おたくの星座 in Another World as it is known in japan on the Turbografx cd. another great jap rpg is G.O.D.- Mezameyo to yobu koe ga kikoe on the snes. they are just two of my favourites anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭marcuspheonix

Retr0gamer wrote: »

no need for calling people stupid for buying a great game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

Panzer Dragoon Saga is superb. Great story, heart warming characters, excellent cinematic battle system,sublime soundtrack and no fillerorfetch quests, just pure story.

Suikoden 2 really needs to be experienced by more people. Nice and quick battle system, 108 recruitable characters and a heartbreaking story about how war can ruin lives.

Earthbound it really rare as well. It's great for something different. It's a charming and fun RPG that gets very disturbing at the end. It also actively lampoons the RPG genre in very amusing ways.

There's really not that many ultra rare RPGs that are worth the money. Persona 2 is rare and supposedly superb but I haven't played it and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Lucifiers Call is brilliant but got rereleased recently and the price dropped. Xenogears isn't worth the price tag it goes for. Some games prices have also gotten inflated to silly proportions, FFVII being the extreme example. Why people are stupid enough to fork out 50+ euros on it is beyond me when as the second best selling game on all time on the PS1 there's literally millions of copies floating about as well as the recent PSN release.

all of the above games are brilliant, with the exception of PDS. Xenogears was a masterpiece of the genre, subtle, heartwrenching storyline with great characters and design. as for the "bold" thing, i don't think there's a rule against using it.

• Advertisement

like i have recently said in another post, i recently got my hands on an extremely rare collectors edition of Aurora Quest; Otaku no Seiza in Another World or オーロラクエスト・おたくの星座 in Another World as it is known in japan on the Turbografx cd. another great jap rpg is G.O.D.- Mezameyo to yobu koe ga kikoe on the snes. they are just two of my favourites anyway

two epic games. have you bought the japanese re release of suikoden? i got a copy last week, superbly well packaged with artwork and soundtrack disc. also contains the now legendary (amongst hardcore RPG gamers) seahorse quest

Xenogears was a masterpiece of the genre, subtle, heartwrenching storyline with great characters and design. as for the "bold" thing, i don't think there's a rule against using it.

There's rules against flaming and trolling. Read the charters.

As for Xenogears, the story was equal parts genius and stupid. Some of the sci-fi elements were great, others stolen from evangelion and then there were moments like were they crucified a giant teddy bear which were beyond dumb. Also almost the entire second disc was hopelessly bad.

As for Xenogears, the story was equal parts genius and stupid. Some of the sci-fi elements were great, others stolen from evangelion and then there were moments like were they crucified a giant teddy bear which were beyond dumb. Also almost the entire second disc was hopelessly bad.

imho it was a superb gaming experience. the later disc did not compare to the first, however the game moves into much more infrequent territory within the RPG genre. it is a daring game

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I see.

You needn't have picked up the NTSC version. PAL has 60hz support, if you were worried about borders and slowdown.

Everyone says Nocturne is super tough, but bar one huge a-hole, I found the game easy enough.
    I was probs a bit over-levelled though.
    Matador raped me too :(

Was loving that game, but simply couldn't progress past that scene, had to abandon it after like 10 consecutive tries.

imho it was a superb gaming experience. the later disc did not compare to the first, however the game moves into much more infrequent territory within the RPG genre. it is a daring game

It had some good ideas and didn't wuss out on some things like characters actually sleeping together but overall the game was a bit of a mess. A hodge podge of different scu-fi films mixed with evangelion and some really poor relegious themes.

It had some good ideas and didn't wuss out on some things like characters actually sleeping together but overall the game was a bit of a mess. A hodge podge of different scu-fi films mixed with evangelion and some really poor relegious themes.

indeed, however the game's somewhat religious overtones added to the mystery of the game for me. it's connection to anime is well spotted, and being a lover of manga, i felt this gave the game its towering superiority in the relatively packed universe of cartoon related interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

xenogears hands down

Lemegeton wrote: »
    xenogears hands down

highly regarded as a great game, for all the wrong reasons. it was rather boring i reckon.

indeed, however the game's somewhat religious overtones added to the mystery of the game for me. it's connection to anime is well spotted, and being a lover of manga, i felt this gave the game its towering superiority in the relatively packed universe of cartoon related interaction.

I think the religious referencing was handled really badly. It was basically just name checking some obscure religious themes but adding them to the story willy nilly. The guys definitely did their research it's just they handled it's implimentation in the story badly. How the world was created was really well done. However there was so really idiotic parts. Again I'll mention as evidence that there's a scene where they are crucifying a giant teddy bear thing called Chu Chu.

It's not a bad game by any means it's just it's got a lot of flaws and the terrible second disc really killed the game. I'll tell you what, it's better than the Xenosaga games. Episodes 1 and 2 of that were awful. Haven't played 3 but heard it's surprisingly good but by then I don't care enough about the universe to find out.

I think the religious referencing was handled really badly. It was basically just name checking some obscure religious themes but adding them to the story willy nilly. The guys definitely did their research it's just they handled it's implimentation in the story badly. How the world was created was really well done. However there was so really idiotic parts. Again I'll mention as evidence that there's a scene where they are crucifying a giant teddy bear thing called Chu Chu.

It's not a bad game by any means it's just it's got a lot of flaws and the terrible second disc really killed the game. I'll tell you what, it's better than the Xenosaga games. Episodes 1 and 2 of that were awful. Haven't played 3 but heard it's surprisingly good but by then I don't care enough about the universe to find out.

indeed, i feel that some of the subject matter could have been handled in a more subtle matter, but the game's overall impression is flawless, chu chu's death being one of the most emotional sequences in the history of the medium.

• Advertisement

Aw man, all this teddy bear stuff... it's not a major spoiler or anything, is it?

Cause I'm playing it atm. Stuck on a raft at sea.

Well it is a bit but tbh it's one of the stupidest moments in any game ever. Prepare to laugh your head off at how serious it tries to be. Also be mentally prepared for disc 2. You know the last two episodes of Evangelion, it's like that, except 15 hours long and yes the main characters just sit in chairs telling you the rest of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

. I'll tell you what, it's better than the Xenosaga games. Episodes 1 and 2 of that were awful.

BLASPHEMY. first you start on Xenogears and now you dare taint my beloved Xenosaga. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously though part 2 was pants and was only worth playing for learning so much of the backstory. Episode 1 is not great by todays standards from a gameplay stance, but when it came out it was awesome and i loved the story. Episode 3 was easily the best of the 3. they really nailed the battle system in the 3rd one.

just out of curiousity whats your opinion on Chrono Cross seeing as we are talking about rare JRPGs

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Terranigma. The best 16 bit RPG with an amazing story, great characters and a score that has barely been surpassed since its release. It's the only game where I have a sealed copy that I never intend to play - got two other copies for that :)

Lemegeton wrote: »
    just out of curiousity whats your opinion on Chrono Cross seeing as we are talking about rare JRPGs

Only played a little bit of it. It didn't feel like a sequel to chrono cross that's for sure. The battle system was a little weird as well. Didn't play it enough to give a full opinion.
    Terranigma. The best 16 bit RPG with an amazing story, great characters and a score that has barely been surpassed since its release. It's the only game where I have a sealed copy that I never intend to play - got two other copies for that :)

The Yanks didn't get it either which gives it a +1

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

*downloads terranigma rom*

...something to look forward to in the future ^_^

Might as well get Soul Blazer, illusion of Gaia and Axelay as well. All roughly related but all great games as well.

Advertisement