Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Butterly tattoos a tramp stamp??

• 14-07-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I like the idea of getting a visible butterfly tattoo with some smoky swirlly bits on my ankle, i think it would look sexy but my friends say butterfly tattoos are too common and will make me look cheap.... any thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I like the idea of getting a visible butterfly tattoo with some smoky swirlly bits on my ankle, i think it would look sexy but my friends say butterfly tattoos are too common and will make me look cheap.... any thoughts?

Personally, I think all tattoos make girls look cheap. But if you are happy to look at it for the rest of your life, then to he'll with what I or anyone else thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

aren't tramp stamps more or less the tattoos at the bottom of the spine??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭LilMsss

I wouldn't worry about what other people think, as getting a tattoo is a very personal decision. In saying that though, an awful lot of people have tattoos both designs and where they choose to get them that I wouldn't have chosen.

I have two tattoos: a small tribal one on my lower back that I got back in 2002 (the heyday for 'tramp stamps' or so I'm told!) and a very small one on my foot, which I love - a butterfly, although a black ink sort of abstract butterfly that I had designed in Bangkok.

Tattoos in themselves do not make a woman look cheap or tacky, although if someone is those things to begin with, then whether or not they have a tattoo will not make a difference.

Make sure it's a design that you love, and in a place you'll be happy to have it seen. I forget I even have mine, but sometimes people will see them and comment - usually positive but even if they weren't, I wouldn't really care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

In Irish mythology / Celtic spirituality, a butterfly symbolises the soul, rebirth and re-incarnation. In Christianity it symbolises redemption, transformation and regeneration.

I guess it all comes down to what the person wearing the butterfly chooses to believe :- whore wings, tramp stamp or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

aren't tramp stamps more or less the tattoos at the bottom of the spine??
    yup!
    on your ankle will look good, feck what any1 else thinks about it its for u not them!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

i have a butterfly tattoo on my foot...i love it...and every1 who has seen it loves it...i have never ever heard any1 call buttrerfly tattoos a tramp stamp..and plus practically every tattoo is common these days cos so many ppl now have them...u like it u get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

muletide wrote: »
    Personally, I think all tattoos make girls look cheap.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I've seen lots of real tacky looking butterfly designs that can just look horrible.
    Like this:
    butterfly-tattoo-designs.jpg
    Others however, like this sort of design, can look really nice.
    butterfly-tattoos-on-back.jpg
    I'd actually love to get something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Personally, I think all tattoos make girls look cheap.
    While you're in the Tattoos & Piercings forum, please keep that kind of comment to yourself.
    Others however, like this sort of design, can look really nice.
    butterfly-tattoos-on-back.jpg
    I'd actually love to get something like that.

That's beautiful, I've always loved the Red Admiral butterfly, and those are fantastically rendered tattoos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

While you're in the Tattoos & Piercings forum, please keep that kind of comment to yourself.

That's beautiful, I've always loved the Red Admiral butterfly, and those are fantastically rendered tattoos!

perhaps you should read the OP. She clearly asked if it would make her look cheap and asked for opinions. I gave an opinion that was directly related to her query.

Or is this one of those forums were any opinions counter to those of the mods are not allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

No muletide, it is not one of those forums.

But when you post on a TATTOO forum saying ALL tattoos make girls look cheap I think you should have expected some retort.

Your opinion is that girls never look good with tattoos, which will go against the grain of many people on this forum. I'm a girl and have 9 tattoos. I love them and I think they enhance my body and make me look even more beautiful.

The same can be said for many girls with tattoos, especially those that post here. Of course there are some tattoos that girls (and guys) get that aren't particularly aesthetically pleasing, but that doesn't mean they ALL look horrific.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but this forum is for creative criticism, not tarring all with the same brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Or is this one of those forums were any opinions counter to those of the mods are not allowed?
    No, it's one of those forums where we do not condone or tolerate sexist rubbish.

If you wish to argue your 'opinion' further, please do so by PMing me, as posting more on it will be considered to be dragging this off topic. Please also note that it is boards.ie policy that you do not question or argue about moderator actions or directions on thread. So please drop it or take it to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xxXchocolate puppyXxx

the one im thinkin of gettin is natural looking like those ones but its just yellow and black, wanted to get some smoke/swirly lines to blend it into the ankle bone so its not out on its own. :)

Advertisement