Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Gears 2 next bonus XP event is in our hands

• 14-07-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭

http://www.trueachievements.com/n1525/next-bonus-xp-event-for-gears-of-war-2.htm
    Another week, another story going up about Rod Fergusson , the man known as GearsViking on Twitter. Why is this man so important right now? Because the amount of people following GearsViking on Twitter will directly impact the amount of XP for the next Gears of War 2 event.

"Ok, here's my bribe. The SDCC XP event will be # of my followers divided by 500. So 4000 followers means 8x XP."

The San Diego Comic Con will be running from July 22 through the 25. That's next weekend for those without a calendar in close proximity. As of now (noon on Wednesday), GearsViking has 3,902 followers, putting us in line for the 8x event again.

If he gets 600 more followers, it becomes a 9x event.

If he gets 1,100 more, we're talking about a 10x event.

Are you still here reading? You fool! Get over to Twitter and help a shirtless Dog the 20x XP event he needs to get his wings! Go! Go!

So go follow the guy people. This will be the weekend I get to level 100, then just sit back and wait for Gears 3.

http://twitter.com/GearsViking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xavierg

ok.. so im in.. became a twit just for this.. do you know what time its on at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

So is the next bonus XP period over the weeked of that Comic Con, July 22-25?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    So is the next bonus XP period over the weeked of that Comic Con, July 22-25?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's already past 5,000 so it's going to be 10x XP at least. Bring on the Horde.

It's already past 5,000 so it's going to be 10x XP at least. Bring on the Horde.

Horde isn't that great. Try the Koth boosting sessions. 150,000 xp a round, that was with 8xp, 10xp is gonna be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

rizzla wrote: »
    Horde isn't that great.

It's the only thing I'm half decent at. Can't kill anybody in the multiplayer modes in Gears 1 or 2, I'm just cannon fodder. If Horde mode didn't exist I would have traded Gears2 after I finished it.

Yeah Horde is brilliant. I should have said Horde isn't that great for the XP.

Will definately be up for a bit of KOTH boosting that weekend, only problem I envisage is actually finding a match

GT: Adamcp898

EDIT: Holy crap atm this yoke is heading for 20x xp

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Will definately be up for a bit of KOTH boosting that weekend, only problem I envisage is actually finding a match

EDIT: Holy crap atm this yoke is heading for 20x xp

It's pretty easy to find, most people do boosting. If you get in a full social KOTH match apporach the enemy with your smoke grenade twirling. It's kinda like flashing your headlights in a car park, people know what you want. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Took me a few mins to realise KOTH was King of the Hill :P I've never done it before, But I'd say we could set up a boardsie boosting event when it hits 20x XP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hmm, may give me a reason to get back into this next weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I'd defo be up for playing this next weekend. Never played any boosting matches in it before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

But I'd say we could set up a boardsie boosting event when it hits 20x XP :pac:

Im well up for it anyway, how many peeps we need?

Here is how to KOTH boost for anyone unfamiliar, shamelessly copy and pasted.
    With the recent addition of Social Matches this is now much easier.

First, get 2 groups of 5 together in 2 different parties. They can be 5 real people, or you can have some guests logged in. Either works just fine.

Have both teams matchmake into Social King Of The Hill. Be sure to make everyone on both teams a preferred player, that way you have a higher chance of being matched up.

Most already running matches don't have 5 slots open on one team, so it will most likely start you in a new match with your team and 5 bots. Then the other team, looking for 5 open slots, will have a high chance of getting in. If not, then just leave and try again.

Just keep matchmaking and quitting until you get all 10 people together in a match. Then do the following.

Have team 1 and team 2 meet at the hill. Neither go in until both are there. Then team 1 will step in, capture the hill, and as soon as the 200 capture points are awarded to the players in the hill, all the members from team 2 will step into the hill, breaking the capture, getting 50 points each, and allowing the hill to be captured again. Do this over and over.

When team 1 gets to 119 points stop. Swap team 2 into the hill, repeat the entire process. When both teams have 119 end the round by letting one win. Then the next round, repeat the same process, except the team that lost the first round should now be the winner. Doing this allows for 3 rounds per match.

You must get 120 capture points to win the rounds.

200 points per capture x 120 capture points to win the round = 24000.

50 points per "break" x 119 "breaks" = 5950

5950 + 24000 = Nearly 30,000 points per round (rounded from 29,950). And thats if you don't kill someone, which happens from time to time.

30,000 x 3 = 90,000

King of the Hill gives 50% EXP back of what your score is.

EX: You score 1000 points, you get 500EXP.

So if you score 90,000 you get 45,000 EXP back.

Thats right. 45,000 exp PER MATCH.

Each match takes about 40 minutes. Social just does endless matches with no further matchmaking. Going through each map alphabetically.

The total EXP required to reach LvL 100 is 6,825,825.

Well this thing starts sometime today with 20x exp and it might be a decent excuse for some people to dust off Gears for a few games and for anyone dying to reach level 100 an ample oppurtunity to do a bit of KOTH boosting for loads of exp.

Throw your tag down if you're up for a few games and anyone open to KOTH boosting it would probably be better to mention that too.

I'll be in work today and tomorrow so it'll be evenings only but after that I'm free all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Defo up for this, I wantz my lvl 100!!!!!!!!!

GT in Sig

I'd be up for this tonight, haven't played gears in ages... Will we need the all fronts pack for some games or for boosting just stick to the original maps?

GT: docerdeedoo

It's starts at 5:30 today. You'll need all fronts to play social, I think.

Do you get exp for doing social? o.O

I just got some M$ points yesterday and I think the all fronts pack dropped alot in price... so I don't mind too much getting it.

• Advertisement

Slugs wrote: »
    Do you get exp for doing social? o.O

Yeah, you can.
    I just got some M$ points yesterday and I think the all fronts pack dropped alot in price... so I don't mind too much getting it.

I think it's only 800MSP now. The guys twitter who I posted in the first post, twitters alot of All Front codes, you'd wanna be very fast and lucky to get one though.

I'm going onto this about 9.30, anyone else gonna be on?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Does ranked matches not work anymore? I can't get any game

The only maps I have are the flashback ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Does ranked matches not work anymore? I can't get any game

The only maps I have are the flashback ones.

Try changing your locale to Great Britain..worked for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I be needing a boosting session, STAT!

Elusive 75-point achievement, here I come, and a slight bit closer to 98.7% completion! (Face it, I'm never getting Seriously 2.0 :rolleyes:)

How do we get into boosting sessions?

Moiph wrote: »
    How do we get into boosting sessions?

Get 10 people. 2 parties of 5 together. 1 gets an all bots match, then the other team searches for a match hopefully taking the position of the 5 bots.

Voila.

Nearly 500,000 xp.

Just sent you an invite.

Sweet well I'll be on most of the weekend and I'll be up for boosting matches. Anyone wanna do the horde achievements too?

Anyone playing atm, finding it night on impossible to get a game of anything =/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'm online, but I'm signing up to boosting sessions on TrueAchievements, so I probably won't be available tonight.

Advertisement