Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Database for marketing campaign (Mail Merge/SMS)

Options
  • 14-07-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Here's the scenario. I want to set up a database of clients for an upcoming marketing campaign. What we need to do is have a list of clients details (name, contact, region, associated sales man etc) and a few forms to insert/update/delete/find etc..

We also need to be able to run run queries and be able to export the result for use in MS Word mail merge and CSV for a bulk SMS program.

This will really only be a one off campaign so developing with PHP/MySQL is out of the question..

I am thinking that MS Access could be suitable for this as the system can be developed fairly quickly. The only question I have is will the database only be accessible on one machine at a time. i.e. wherever the .mdb file is located.

Is there any programs that can be used as a frontend to a MySQL db so it acts like Access.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

techguy wrote: »
    I am thinking that MS Access could be suitable for this as the system can be developed fairly quickly. The only question I have is will the database only be accessible on one machine at a time. i.e. wherever the .mdb file is located.

Is there any programs that can be used as a frontend to a MySQL db so it acts like Access.

Use MySQL and phpMyAdmin. You can install on a workstation (Linux or Windows using XAMPP) and have it accessed by the whole office using a link like:

http://192.168.0.10/myadmin/

It should do it all for you including CSV import/export.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Hi There,

Here's the scenario. I want to set up a database of clients for an upcoming marketing campaign. What we need to do is have a list of clients details (name, contact, region, associated sales man etc) and a few forms to insert/update/delete/find etc..

We also need to be able to run run queries and be able to export the result for use in MS Word mail merge and CSV for a bulk SMS program.

This will really only be a one off campaign so developing with PHP/MySQL is out of the question..

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Very little point spending time and effort on custom development work for this unless you have a really good reason to. There's almost certainly existing lightweight CRM software that can do all this, it's perfectly standard-issue stuff. The folks on the Business forum might have some suggestions, or Google should turn up some.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=585

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Hi There,

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

Why not just download the mySQL odbc driver and use that to link tables in access so you can do your front end stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Spreadsheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sounds like you need some kind of simple CRM system

Sugar CRM (open source) might be overkill for your immediate purposes - or maybe not, but it would allow multiple users and loads of data capture ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

dont forget data protection and auditing

Advertisement