Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wide angle zooms

• 14-07-2010 7:26pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭

for a nikon DX body.
    anyone any opinions? there's plenty of choice - the two sigma 10-20mms, the tokina 12-24mm (which seems to be the cheapest), and 11-16mm, the nikkor 10-24mm (seems the priciest 'entry level' one), and tamron 10-24mm.

a bit of a paradox of choice; the difference between 10mm and 12mm is not crucial to me, so all are in play.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

The sigma 10-20 keeps coming up, over and over. I reckon I'll probably have to get one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to this review, the tokina 12-24mm is better than the sigma with the variable max aperture:
    But perhaps because of its more modest aspirations, it comprehensively outperforms the other third party APS-C wideangle zooms we've tested recently, i.e. the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM and the Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di-II
    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tokina_12-24_4_n15/page4.asp

might give that one a test run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Oh I had a go of a few lenses today, one being a 14 - 24 mm nikon 2.8 as far as I recall. Lovely lens. Also tried the 14mm 2.8 which was good too, both were superfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

and super expensive, Sigma 10-20 is a great lens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I have the sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and it is class. Buy one. I rarely use it below f11 anyway so the faster version of it or any of the f2.8s mentioned would be overkill for me. Got mine for 400Euro in McSweeney's in Cork about a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

new? it's €550 in conns; i don't think i've seen that much variation in irish shops before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Oh I had a go of a few lenses today, one being a 14 - 24 mm nikon 2.8 as far as I recall. Lovely lens. Also tried the 14mm 2.8 which was good too, both were superfast.

Both FX/full frame lenses, waste of money buying for DX.

I'd recommend the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 ;-) Had one on my D300, was a great lens. I sold the Sigma 10-20mm at the time to buy the Tokina, didn't regret it.

edit - Here's some sets on flickr to check out

11-16mm Tokina pics

10-20mm Sigma pics
    14-24mm Nikon pics

new? it's €550 in conns; i don't think i've seen that much variation in irish shops before.

Yep, should've been 450 but the girl in the shop misquoted the price and her manager stuck to it (fair play to him/them!!!!). They also had a crazy cheap price on the sigma 12-24 at the time but it was no use to me as it doesn't take filters.

Could €550 be for the newer, faster version of the 10-20? :confused:

€550 for the 4-5.6, €600 for the 3.5, i think.

€550 for the 4-5.6, €600 for the 3.5, i think.

If you can get it in the UK then I would. Can't believe it's gone up that much :eek:

I just checked McSweeney's in Cork online, it's €499 there apparently now. Definitely paid 399.99 myself but as I said it was a while ago. Just goes to show, good glass holds (or increases) it's value :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Followed Arciphels advice a few months ago, and bought a Tokina 11-16 f2.8 - it's absolutely brilliant, I love the thing, and only take it off the camera if I really have to.
    Even the colours seem "extra" vivid, just superb, I can't fault it.

@Arciphel - thanks again! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It's not a DX specific lens. I've got one on my D3 and its probably the best 14mm and 24mm lens you can get and everything in between (better than the Nikon 14mm which has its own problems/issues if you read up on it). 14mm on a DX sensor is about 21mm which isn't all that wide.

It's pretty much the only lens I use for work when I'm shooting property interiors.

gunns have the tokina 12-24 f4-f5.6 at the moment, for a good price, but it's the older model; which doesn't have the motor for the cheaper nikon bodies. i have the D300, but herself has the D40, so it would be something i'd like to have. decisions, decisions.

i've also heard bad things about sigma's quality control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I have a Sigma 10-20 for my Pentax, and I really like it.

This was shot on it:120375.jpg

The glass is basically the same on the Sigma for whatever mount you choose.
    for a nikon DX body.
    anyone any opinions? there's plenty of choice - the two sigma 10-20mms, the tokina 12-24mm (which seems to be the cheapest), and 11-16mm, the nikkor 10-24mm (seems the priciest 'entry level' one), and tamron 10-24mm.

a bit of a paradox of choice; the difference between 10mm and 12mm is not crucial to me, so all are in play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I too have had the Sigma 10-20mm for some time. It seems to be the lens I have on the camera the most. I was also considering the Tokina 11 - 16 at the time I was buying but came across a deal on the Sigma first (too good a deal to pass up)

Neither of these lenses are that fastest or the sharpest lenses, but they are vey useful. I really do like my Sigma a lot, then I seem to like shooting wide.

i ended up plumping for the tokina 12-24 in gunns.

Advertisement