Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223/5.56mm ammo prices and availability? Also is a S/A restricted?

Options
  • 14-07-2010 7:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

As above what sort of prices are ye all paying for .223 ammo and are you have any difficulty sourcing it??

Also was thinking of going down the semi auto route for a 223! I'd be right saying that these are restricted:confused:?

I was in a gun dealers the other day and he insisted that a s/a 223 was not restricted:confused: any thoughts about that or how he might have drawn that conclusion:confused:??

If i was going down the S/A route then ammo prices would be a major issue!

PS I would think that a 223 would be the cheapest option for a center fire S/A??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yes, it is restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Hi Ivan, I was considering the same thing myself. Definitely restricted but it would seem not unattainable.

I had a bolt action 223 for a few years and I fed it 50 gr Remington hollow points which were pretty cheap and done a great job. They run about 12 quid a box so I don't think you would have a problem paying for them if you were looking at it as a long range bunny/ foxing rig. Plus, if you're buying in bulk you can always get a discount.

What S/A were you thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I use Wolf 55gr for plinking its 10 eu a box.... russian stuff its allright if you just want to make some noise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

10 Euro a box! Hay that sounds like a good bang for yer buck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Bang for your buck is about all the wolf stuff is good for from my experience, as I would only recommend it for sound effects, as if you want it to group its a case of wrapping them in an elastic band and throwing them at the target!!

Again its just my experience of them!

If your looking to hit something for cheap money out to 200 meters American Eagle flat base fmj is cheap €11 a box and can group reasonably well.

Fish

• Advertisement

Hibrion wrote: »
    Hi Ivan, I was considering the same thing myself. Definitely restricted but it would seem not unattainable.

I had a bolt action 223 for a few years and I fed it 50 gr Remington hollow points which were pretty cheap and done a great job. They run about 12 quid a box so I don't think you would have a problem paying for them if you were looking at it as a long range bunny/ foxing rig. Plus, if you're buying in bulk you can always get a discount.

What S/A were you thinking of?
    Cheap and reliable unit S/H - accuracy at 100yards sub 2" would be fine TBH

Im not going to be punching paper! TBH I'm not to sure about any S/A models as i know very little about them in 223cal and i have only set my sights on such a firearm as of this evening..:rolleyes:
    Reliability is the number one concern and accuracy comes next but on the whole I'm going to have to sell something to buy it and i want to go as cheap as the reliability will allow.
    TBH I not going to be shooting any further than 150yards 98% of the time....so cheap ammo and a cheap gun will do!

Any ideas on what might be classed as cheap and reliable????:confused:

Bang for your buck is about all the wolf stuff is good for from my experience, as I would only recommend it for sound effects, as if you want it to group its a case of wrapping them in an elastic band and throwing them at the target!!

If your looking to hit something for cheap money out to 200 meters American Eagle flat base fmj is cheap €11 a box and can group reasonably well.

Fish

Out of interest what sort of avg groups would you say each brand gives at a set distance of either 100 or 200 yards.
    TBH if they are only 10% more expensive and they group anyway decent then they might be the bangers of choice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's at least one semi-auto .223 rifle in the country, though it's an SL-7 not an AR-15 as you might expect. Not sure if any have been licenced for hunting though. Haven't heard of any Mini-14s, but I think someone said there was an AR-15 around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Out of interest what sort of avg groups would you say each brand gives at a set distance of either 100 or 200 yards.
    TBH if they are only 10% more expensive and they group anyway decent then they might be the bangers of choice:)

The .223 @ 100 yards 3 shot group

Remington VSSF II recrowned barrel €90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Fish
    I'd agree but we aint all target shooters fussin over inches and half inches...there just fine for farting about
    why does it always have to be about tight groups ...there enough in shooting already:D

• Advertisement

Cheap and reliable unit S/H - accuracy at 100yards sub 2" would be fine TBH

Im not going to be punching paper! TBH I'm not to sure about any S/A models as i know very little about them in 223cal and i have only set my sights on such a firearm as of this evening..:rolleyes:
    Reliability is the number one concern and accuracy comes next but on the whole I'm going to have to sell something to buy it and i want to go as cheap as the reliability will allow.
    TBH I not going to be shooting any further than 150yards 98% of the time....so cheap ammo and a cheap gun will do!

Any ideas on what might be classed as cheap and reliable????:confused:

In terms of ammo the remington stuff is good and cheap enough.

Might be difficult to get a s/a purely for hunting. But if you make your case you might be lucky.
    I'm sure you know of the Remington R-15, but after checking around I can say they are far from what you would call cheap.

The bushmaster is basically the same thing as an R-15 but a bit cheaper. The company who owns bushmaster also own Remington. It comes black rather than in real tree camo so looks a bit more "evil". On the basis of "it looks like an assault rifle", it might not go down well when it comes to licensing it.
    The mini 14 by all accounts is grand for short distances but not near as accurate as the r 15 or an AR 15 variant. It did have a cheap price tag going for it but ruger have raised that in recent years.

I think what ever you choose it might be difficult to get a license for it. I'm not even sure whether to apply in the local station or directly to where the chief super is based. I think I'll ave to ring the FPU and ask a few questions.

Another option is a 22 mag. ruger 10 22. But to be honest if your going to go to the trouble of licensing a semi bigger than 22 lr you might as well get a 223.

Its a tough one.

4gun wrote: »
    why does it always have to be about tight groups
    'cos if it was just about getting lead downrange, this lad wins every time:
    pd550735.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Doesn't dwighet have a nice Remmy R15 in .223 S/A like this one?:

RemingtonR15.jpg

And I know of one other, this one:

Sig556.jpg

These are both S/A .223 rifles which are restricted but have definitely been licenced in recent months. I'm sure theres more out there - but these are the two I know about for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Fish

And American Eagle flat base HP is cheap @€;12.50 a box shoots well from my CZ 223

4gun wrote: »
    I use Wolf 55gr for plinking its 10 eu a box.... russian stuff its allright if you just want to make some noise

This stuff will not chamber in my CZ varmint 223.

There are a reasonably surprising number of them out there, so if you can make your case and have the boys in blue on your side, it's doable. I've even seen a semi-auto Steyr AUG or a clone thereof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

There are a reasonably surprising number of them out there, so if you can make your case and have the boys in blue on your side, it's doable. I've even seen a semi-auto Steyr AUG or a clone thereof.

So have I , 2 of them. Why anyone would want one :D

Lads, there have been some mad things licensed in the last few years. I know of a Beretta Cx4 storm carbine in 9mm that was licensed as a target pistol.:eek:

There is just so much variety between districts, it really is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Sparks wrote: »
    'cos if it was just about getting lead downrange, this lad wins every time:
    pd550735.jpg

ha x2.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The 223 is a great all around round. It's price to performance ratio could be the most bang for the buck.

Try not to visit American webSites selling 1000 rounds of wolf for $240. Just too depressing.

With that said, I greatly caution you on the use of any Russian ammo: Wolf, Brown Bear... They are notorious for poor quality control. Please google.

You do not have to feed it Hornaday everyday, however, some Remington is nice.

Problem with the American manufacturers is that there loads can be a little light - too many lawsuits means a little, not a lot, less powder.

But the 223, again, is a great round, flies fast and flat, and doesn't cost much. I believe the 223's like a lighter round. I'll have to check and do a bit of HW

SPARKS
    Did you say an SL-7? Who makes it H&K? Anything like the SL-8?
    SL8r.JPG
    I cannot imagine them letting something like this in.

As for the day you hear someone having a Mini14, or other variant, please advise. I would love to have one.

I know of one SL8 that was definitely licensed and I'm fairly certain of another, though no idea whether they've been relicensed under the new regime. There are a good few centrefire semi autos out there though. Nice to see.

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    SPARKS
    Did you say an SL-7? Who makes it H&K? Anything like the SL-8?
    Yes, but I was getting the SL-7 and SL-8 confused there (the SL-7 does exist, it's a sporting model, the SL-8 was the one modelled off the G36)
    SL8r.JPG
    Dats der bunny.
    I cannot imagine them letting something like this in.
    Yet they did. It's just a .223 at the end of the day (and yeah, .223 rather than 5.56 unless you ask for 5.56):
    13647.JPG
    As for the day you hear someone having a Mini14, or other variant, please advise. I would love to have one.
    Dunno why, it only ever was a cheap alternative to an AR15.

It does have its place and I think it performs well in some areas. It is a good ranch rifle, something for the yanks to bring along when there trekking around there HUGE farms on the off chance that they might come across a varmint causing trouble:cool:.
    There are however some 'tacticool' versions available now and I don't think they can compete with the AR variants in terms of accuracy. The fact that ruger put their prices up isn't helping them either.

That yolk looks awfully bulky lads. Like something out of starship troopers!:eek:

The fact that ruger put their prices up isn't helping them either.
    Well, didn't ruger completely redesign them recently as well? (And start selling them under the phrase "ranch rifle"?)
    That yolk looks awfully bulky lads. Like something out of starship troopers!:eek:
    That's kindof the point, it's the AR-15 to the G36's M-16. By law you can't fit the G36 folding stock to it, though the rest of the hardware is swappable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

There's at least one semi-auto .223 rifle in the country, though it's an SL-7 not an AR-15 as you might expect. Not sure if any have been licenced for hunting though. Haven't heard of any Mini-14s, but I think someone said there was an AR-15 around.

Only 1 ....................... ****e .... i dont know you at all !!! :P::P:P:P

To the OP.... there are quiet a few ! Lots of OAs, i know of 2 hk Mr223s, SIGs in verious models as well as saber defences.

As regards ammo... i buy .223 at 8.50 a box (but i bulk buy). grouping arent the best but i put that down to the rifle.

As regards Wolf...... I have been doing alot of reading on this there are many opionins being shared both on and off the net.
    I personally believe that alot of the beliefs about wolf are internet based and not from real experience ( I dont blame Irish shooters as our community is so small) wolf to be good pinking ammuntion IF you are not looking for ultra accurate ammo OR you are using a classic AR designed rifle. If using a piston driven rifle it is very reliable. Personally i have put some cheap S**Te through my South African R4.... and it has eaten it all... because its a piston driven. I have heard of mates with OAs complaining that wolf is so dirty that it causes FTFs etc.... but i put this down to there design.

Geez gunhappy, "at least" != "only" :D

Well, didn't ruger completely redesign them recently as well? (And start selling them under the phrase "ranch rifle"?)

Ya. They have several variants though. The ranch rifle is just the basic one I think.
    They have target models and folding stock models with weaver rails everywhere on them. Trying to be something they just aren't.

Ruger did bring our a 223 AR style rifle this year too I think.

Gunhappy you have some seriously nice rifles licensed. I had a hard time getting the 10 22!

Yes, but I was getting the SL-7 and SL-8 confused there (the SL-7 does exist, it's a sporting model, the SL-8 was the one modelled off the G36)

Dats der bunny.

Yet they did. It's just a .223 at the end of the day (and yeah, .223 rather than 5.56 unless you ask for 5.56):
    13647.JPG

The SL7 and SL8 are actually nothin alike. while both are semi auto but the SL7 was as well as being .308 (you are possibly confused with the SL6 in .223) and is a delayed roller locking system ( same as Cetme and the Hk G3 rifle)

Yes the SL8 was a civilain copy of the G36 however its origional design was for the US market (hence the pic of the gray rifle above). Hk developed it to bypass the "Assault weapons ban" by puttin on a bullbarrel, thumbhole stock and modifying it to take low cap mags...

of the 2 that you know .. possibly 1 was mine :P i know of 1 other.

• Advertisement

Lads, there have been some mad things licensed in the last few years. I know of a Beretta Cx4 storm carbine in 9mm that was licensed as a target pistol.:eek:

There is just so much variety between districts, it really is ridiculous.

An error.... it is a rifle under irish law.

Advertisement