Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of painting exterior of house

Options
  • 14-07-2010 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I need to get the exterior of my house painted but the more i think about it the more im turned off the idea.

So i got a price off a painter for €2300. labour and materials. Its a 3 bed semi detatched and price includes sills, bit of timber work around porch etc...

said it should take 1-2 weeks. Does this sound like a reasonable price? anyone got any information regarding prices?

thanks in advance,
    the DIY king :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dpjobrien

Not sure where u are but try this guy here he painted the inside of my house very reasonable and did a great job. Greater Dublin Area.
    http://mcardlepainting.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dumbledee

yeah im in dublin, was he dear? Im really just wondering if the price i got is reasonable? €2300 for outside of house, anyone know how much it should cost? I dont mind paying it if thats the going rate but i really don't wanna get ripped off if its not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

We got the exterior of our house painted 2 years ago and it was 250 euro as part of a "group buy" ie. majority of houses in the estate were being done. 4 bed semi so pretty much same size as yours I would imagine. That didnt include window sills, literally just front of the house and materials but even still I dont imagine on this basis that 2300 would be the average cost. If I were you Id shop around!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

dumbledee wrote: »
    I need to get the exterior of my house painted but the more i think about it the more im turned off the idea.

So i got a price off a painter for €2300. labour and materials. Its a 3 bed semi detatched and price includes sills, bit of timber work around porch etc...

said it should take 1-2 weeks. Does this sound like a reasonable price? anyone got any information regarding prices?

thanks in advance,

Its at least double what it should be.

That price is mad even if its pebble dash. Three Bed Semi, your talking about 30 Litres of paint, so say €90. Then some gloss etc, total materials wouldn't be more than €150.

I also like their 1 to 2 weeks, surely they know how long it takes to paint a house. I'd imagine it could be done in less than 1 week. What sort of finish is on the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dpjobrien

I got inside of house done for about what you've been quoted give him a call and he can quote you but I think it's high. My house is a large detached house over 2500 sq ft

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Its at least double what it should be.

That price is mad even if its pebble dash. Three Bed Semi, your talking about 30 Litres of paint, so say €90. Then some gloss etc, total materials wouldn't be more than €150.

I also like their 1 to 2 weeks, surely they know how long it takes to paint a house. I'd imagine it could be done in less than 1 week. What sort of finish is on the house?
    nobody can sat whether the price is high or low as the op has no pics of the house up.
    it may well need power washing before painting,it may need to be given a scrape down,may need to be stabilised,may need to be flush filled,it may be heavy dash with a conservatory on the side.
    unless the op lets us see the job that has to be done we cant really answer him.
    also one poster said you can get 30 litres of exterior paint for 90 euro.well i can tell you,you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Holy crap thats expensive and a week... We just had our house painted 3 weeks ago by a company called MC Decorators. There based in Dublin. A semi d they did all the sill's, spent a day doing prep work scraping off all the old paint that had flaked during the frost and there was a lot of that. Painted a small back toilet back and front door. They spayed on the first coat mixed with a stabilizer. I had them do the inside of my house last year. very nice guys. Couldn't recommend them enough. cost 750 for the outside but i supplied the paint etc but i think we got a good price as we had given them work before. The guy we deal with is Eoin. Very decent bloke. Here's there website below

http://www.paintersanddecorators.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dunboyner

no offence any painter that mixs stabilizr and emo aint a painter. mc decor shouldnt have done that theres a reason its to be put on as a sealr and not to be miixd with emo..looks like they seen you coming::.and as far as 2300 way off the mark any painter should charge half that . to spray house with stabilizr and 2 coats of clad can be done in 2 days cills door and plint 1 day= total 3days max.iv made my liviing for 25 years as a decorator i hate to see people been done .but you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dunboyner

thanks in advance,

no offence any painter that mixs stabilizr and emo aint a painter. mc decor shouldnt have done that theres a reason its to be put on as a sealr and not to be miixd with emo..looks like they seen you coming::.and as far as 2300 way off the mark any painter should charge half that . to spray house with stabilizr and 2 coats of clad can be done in 2 days cills door and plint 1 day= total 3days max.iv made my liviing for 25 years as a decorator i hate to see people been done .but you were.
    Last edited by dunboyner; Today at 16:58.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

with all due respect to you my brother manages a paint shop and my brother in law spent 15 years managing one of the largest grossing paint stores in Ireland and seeing as i got all the materials for half nothing and advice from them, I will take there word over yours. I was working on my home when the lads painted it and two guys worked two full days. If its warm enough outside it will dry in hours. If your willing to charge people 1150 for three days painting then your ripping people off to. I got a lot of different prices and none were that high. you charge 380 per day to paint a house. when times were busy people could get away with extortionate quotes like that but those days are dead and gone. I gain nothing from saying MC decor did a great job but I will save people a lot of money tell them not to pay those kind of prices.Before you get up on your high horse I am a tradesman and couldn't look customers in the face taking that kinda money off them.
    To to be clear. I'm not having a go at you but letting people know there are much cheaper guys out there who will do just as good a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

That price is far too dear, there is no way it would cost that much. Now , you will not purchase the materials for €150 either. As 1 poster said we do not kmow the make up of the job, whether ite smooth or dashed walls, are there windows to be painted?
    EVEN SO DO NOT PAY THAT SORT OF MONEY.
    I would reccommend to get a labour price and supply the materials yourself, at least you can decide if you want a decent brand of paint cause if he supplies it will be ****e like Johnsons.
    Chuck Eastwood seems to have got a good firm (Checked the link) as like them I too went to Bolton St and served the proper apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

@Mcdecorators

Nice work lads and well done. We were probably in class together with George Monks& Mr Kane and who can forget Martin Syned.....I hear he is running that section now...

Goodluck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fiddledidee

dunboyner wrote: »
    Last edited by dunboyner; Today at 16:58.
    I myself have used M.C.Decor in the past, the product they use is not a stabliser it is a bonding agent called "Emulsa Bond", it is added to the paint to improve adhesion. It is designed for chalky walls which are prone to flaking. We suffered for years with the exterior of our house They done the job over 3yrs ago and we have had no problems since. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Kungfu

I, with my stepfather, painted the house that I formally lived in. A pebble dashed mid terrace. Regardless of size, we painted it with Sandtex masonry paint...using a brush. This was several years before my stepfather died. He died in 1996 and the same paint is still on the house. For a start if you are spray painting beware of the painter thinning out the paint. He might tell you that this is because the paint would clog up the spray nozzle. I would check that out by asking when buying the paint. Painting with a brush takes longer but you are sure of getting a good, thick coat of paint with each coat you apply. As for these other products...methinks it's all a load of codswallop. The industry making more money out of you. We didn't even apply and undercoat as the wall surface was raw pebble dashing and the paint was a dark colour. Why don't you just read up on it? Goggle it. Check out Youtube. Buy or borrow some DIY books. And make a DIY project of it. That's what I am planning on doing in the Spring. There's a recession on. Who can afford to pay people to do these things? Bad enough you will have the property tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Kungfu wrote: »
    I, with my stepfather, painted the house that I formally lived in. A pebble dashed mid terrace. Regardless of size, we painted it with Sandtex masonry paint...using a brush. This was several years before my stepfather died. He died in 1996 and the same paint is still on the house. For a start if you are spray painting beware of the painter thinning out the paint. He might tell you that this is because the paint would clog up the spray nozzle. I would check that out by asking when buying the paint. Painting with a brush takes longer but you are sure of getting a good, thick coat of paint with each coat you apply. As for these other products...methinks it's all a load of codswallop. The industry making more money out of you. We didn't even apply and undercoat as the wall surface was raw pebble dashing and the paint was a dark colour. Why don't you just read up on it? Goggle it. Check out Youtube. Buy or borrow some DIY books. And make a DIY project of it. That's what I am planning on doing in the Spring. There's a recession on. Who can afford to pay people to do these things? Bad enough you will have the property tax.

Eh it says on the 10 litre tubs (small print) that you thin out the paint by 10-20% for spraying.

He would also be telling you the truth.

PS-Im not a painter either,just incase you might jump to conclusions and say/think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jessi_Evans

those guys painted my house about an year ago and I was very happy with the job they did. Pretty professional and price wasnt too expensive either, for anyone who want to ask for quote will leave you the link to their website check them out here: house painters dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

thanks in advance,

The quote you got could be ok depending on the work involved BUT any painter worth his salt will be able to tell you how long it will take to complete the job. Granted you need to factor in weather conditions when it comes to the time frame. Saying one or two weeks to complete the job doesn't sit well with me. That said if there is a serious amount of prep and the painter in question is a bit of a perfectionist then the price could be right. Would really need to know more about the job. Did you get a written quote? Does it include Vat? Can you post pictures of the house? Whatever happens make sure no paint is applied if the temp outside is 7 degrees or lower

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

paddy147 wrote: »
    Eh it says on the 10 litre tubs (small print) that you thin out the paint by 10-20% for spraying.

He would also be telling you the truth.

PS-Im not a painter either,just incase you might jump to conclusions and say/think this.

+1
    When spraying you need to water the paint down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I got a quote for a house there last week, its an "andura plastic coating?" Or something along them lines, detached dormer bungalow
    90sqm of exterior wall space.
    Quote was 5000 and 2000 to get the tiles painted one the front of the house.
    any opinions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I have come across this twice. 1 was extremely shoddy with downpipes painted, overspray on red brick, windows and patio doors. Was flaking off in sheets, White was grey.
    2nd, again was flaking off in sheets after 6 months, this customer complained and the company only sent over a couple of gallons of the coating. Then, diy. I noticed the entire exterior was repainted with normal exterior paint last year,
    Again looked grey in color.
    Who would want their house to be the same grey colour for 15/20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Saying as this is the DIY forum and all, would you not think of DIY?
    I did the inside and the outside of my house and I hate painting, but i also hate spending money needlessly if it can be avoided. I'm not a pro but i think the job was pretty well done if i say so myself and the sense of achievement and satisfaction of saving a fair few bob made it well worth it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement