Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Photography Course with Jasmine Star. Aug 25-29, 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Loved the last one - hope the timing is similar as it worked well for us in the GMT timezone.

But we don't even have to wait until then:

Workshop: Vision-Driven Photography
    Instructor: David duChemin
    Date: Weekend Workshop - July 23-25

http://creativelive.com/courses/david_duchemin/

I like these creative live stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Loved the last one - hope the timing is similar as it worked well for us in the GMT timezone.

Me too. I've been looking forward to this for a while now. Thanks for the reminder. :)

AnCatDubh wrote: »

Just a reminder for this - 3 days of goodness, buy beer and pizza - put the wife, children, and dog outside (or get a little corner of the house to yourself) and put up a sign saying do not disturb. If my conversion skills on the times between PT and GMT then we're looking at a 7pm start time? (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

(oh, and don't forget to take a photograph today [film] or tomorrow [digital] for the 24hour mag project - see main forum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

It looks like the discount to download the course only works up until the start of the live event this eve. With the Zack Arias one I'm pretty sure you could watch some of the live event and decide if it was worth purchasing. Has anyone seen a workshop from David DuChemin before ? Is he good ? I won't be able to watch it all live.

I never seen anything quite like this before. How does it work, exactly?

I registered.

I assume, from reading the description, that they email you after the first day with a video of the first day?
    :confused:

• Advertisement

I never seen anything quite like this before. How does it work, exactly?

I registered.

I assume, from reading the description, that they email you after the first day with a video of the first day?
    :confused:

You can watch it live without registering or downloading anything (it just streams). The Zack Arias one a few weeks ago was excellent, but I was knackered after watching it for three nights (and having to get up early!). If you pay the fee you can download it for viewing whenever you want. But the last time it was different in that you could buy it at the discount price right up until the Sunday night. This time the discount expires just as it's about to start, so you aren't quite sure what you are getting.

I think I'll take a gamble on it. If it's a patch on the last one it will be worth it.

Cheers hmboards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Looks interesting - how many hours each day do these run?

Actually quite good i think. been watching it since the start. what time is it over at?

• Advertisement

The last one - Zack Arias, went on until midnight and after on each day.

Apparently it's finishing up soon enough.

The schedule is here:
    http://creativelive.com/calendar/

So 6pm - 1am tomorrow and Sunday. Zack's over ran those times quite a bit though!

I'm a bit less enthused by this than I was for Zack's last week. Seems to be less organized or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

I have to agree I am not enjoying it as much as Zac Arias one. But the art/vision side of photography has always been one I struggled with more then the technical side.

Sadly the best bit for me so far was when some one linked this site in one of the creative chat rooms when we were talking about other training sites. I am not sure if the site is a piss take or for real.

Some of you might be interested in this.....

After the last Zack Arias web seminar, the next (free) live seminar is a wedding thing

Aug 25-29, 2010. Full details here http://creativelive.com/courses/jasmine_star/

It's a big commitment (not the wedding, but the schedule which runs formally from tomorrow until Sunday) and it kicks off tonight with a Chase Jarvis / Jasmine Star live - just talking stuff I guess.

It looks way more practical than the last session with David duChemin. Although I could only partially watch it (the 24 hour mag was on) I did enjoy what I saw - that session was more for thinkers than doers - or thinkers before the went and did, eh... or something like that.

So, get in the crates of beer to last you until Sunday :) Normally the timings are good for us here so watch out kinda post Irish tea time.

Anyhow, thought i'd bump the thread in case anyone had been planning on it.

Looking forward to it, although I have no real interest in wedding photography, hopefully she will cover her people hadling skills and her online branding stuff that she gives speeches on.

Been really looking forward to this since it's announcement. There are three 1 hour videos online already which discuss wedding preparation. Sorta fits in with the whole wedding theme. And I guess as a wedding photographer, you'd need to be able talk, appreciate or just be aware of all things related to weddings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I don't know about this one. She's obviously an expert marketeer, as in my opinion her images don't warrant all the hype around her.

I'll tune in alright and hopefully she'll win me over with some education (as I hate being a Negative Neddy about anyone). But, I was a little disappointed to find out that she doesn't do her own post processing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have nothing negative to say about her work, if I produced that work consistently with such perfection I would be a happy woman. 7.5k worth of a shoot, I dont know but she is great!

With regards to post processing, if I was paid 7.5k for a wedding you could put money on the fact that Id have someone process for me I can tell you that much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I have nothing negative to say about her work, if I produced that work consistently with such perfection I would be a happy woman. 7.5k worth of a shoot, I dont know but she is great!

Likewise, totally agree that she is great and the way she shoots the majority of the time with just a camera and lens and natural light.

Its a 7.5k minimum - but then again California is a different scene to Ireland! She makes no bones about how much she charges but she did start off doing the $1,000 weddings...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

It just goes to show the power of marketing. She says herself that people pay the prices she charges because of her name more than anything else. The photos are high quality no doubt, but that is only a small part of why she is so successful. She's built up quite a business in just a few years, fair dues to her.

The course starts in about 20 mins, time to get a large pot of coffee on.

I found last nights interview quite fascinating, she has a bloody good business brain on her, she knows exactly that she is selling the "Jasmine Star" brand and not just some photos.

So far I'm liking this very much. She's bright, intelligent and seems to have a fun personality. Should be an easy watch. :)

I am really enjoying all the branding/marketing aspect of the training so far. Although it is casuing me to have some bad flash backs to the years I was in college doing marketing.

It's a pity they can't get the technical sound issues sorted.

Likewise - all very good so far

Loving it, she says what I think I lot of the time, I have always tried to hold back on the personality and try to be mor ebusiness like whereas she is pushing herself as a peron rather than a business woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

wow that girl can talk...very interesting cant wait to see her put it all into action. The second shooter seems a big thing for her whereas every wedding I've been to always only had a main photographer.

IamBlip wrote: »
    wow that girl can talk...very interesting cant wait to see her put it all into action. The second shooter seems a big thing for her whereas every wedding I've been to always only had a main photographer.

It does doesnt it, I'd want to have a second shooter when I am more established I'd say, I'd love to speak to her though about husband training, man has she got him well trained, I wonder if I could hire her out for that!:D

• Advertisement

Bump, Just about to start.

Day 2, Scoping out the wedding venue.

I hope the light is very low, would be interesting to see how she handles it, wish I had the time to watch all of it tho

The whole concept of the broadcast for the last few days has been fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

It does doesnt it, I'd want to have a second shooter when I am more established I'd say, I'd love to speak to her though about husband training, man has she got him well trained, I wonder if I could hire her out for that!:D

Yeah, when I got married the first album photo of me was waiting outside the church with my best man etc. however we had great craic that morning in my mothers, good photo opertunities on my side, getting dressed..the top hats and tails and also my dad's great idea to stop off in Campions pub for one en route to the church, wish i had candids of those moments....

...lol, theres no training secret just shoot 24ish weddings a year starting from $7k per wedding and he'll be eating out of the palm of your hand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

The audio is a mess. The whole recording is a bit disorganised.

daycent wrote: »
    The audio is a mess. The whole recording is a bit disorganised.

I guess the whole live thing on a fairly low budget is not gonna run too smooth. Still enjoying it.

This made for one hell of a long weekend.
    I enjoyed it overall and as she spent a lot of time on the branding and marketing end of things I was very happy with it.

I did make the mistake of logging into the chat part of the site with everyone asking questions, I will not make that mistake again, I was kinda shocked with the amount of hating and stupidity, it was like boards on crack :)

Did anyone else enjoy it? What did you get from the course?

• Advertisement

Was there really? Like hate comments directed at her?

I really enjoyed it, now by last night I couldnt watch it anymore, I just couldnt get into it but what I did watch over the last few days I really enjoyed. Like above I enjoyed the fact that she spent time on branding and marketing.

What did I get from it? I suppose not to be afraid to act more true to myself when working and talking with clients. To take myself more seriously and value the effort I put in to my work. I don't think Jasmine does much really outside of the norm for a wedding photographer during the wedding, I think she excels in interacting with her clients and making them giggle and laugh and enjoy the experience. For me this is the most important part, ensuring my clients enjoy it rather than just stand here, look there and whilst she still directs her clients on were to stand and look she is interacting with them the whole time which I suppose lightens the atmosphere.

After I heard her say "LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT" for the millionth time, I tuned out. I just couldn't listen to her anymore.

I tuned in briefly last night and she was on about how she always shoots manual and you shouldn't be shooting Aperture Priority. Which is a load of ****e if you ask me. Also, her comments about certain gear like reflectors and Pocket Wizards making her look dorky came across as very shallow.

Some of the branding/marketing stuff was interesting, but I think there was way too much of an emphasis on it here.

Still not sold on her at all.

haha, love it, but it was gorge wasnt it, haha. It's americanised alright, but she is in America so it prob helps her.

I wouldnt say Im not sold on her, but I dont think she is the best I have ever come across though. I like what she stands for, she is living her dream by being herself and making a fine amount of money from it too.

I watched the whole thing.... :confused: Have to say she has great energy, is very good on the business side of things, is a competent enough photographer and her PP skills are practically non existent. She out sources a lot of stuff, IE. PP and Album design, printing etc... which is OK in my book.

Sad to say, I don't think I learnt anything new on the photography technique side of things. Marketing wise, it was a bit of an eye opener. She really taps into her market (brides to be) through her blog very well. She has a great sense of what she is trying to sell and convinces most of the crowd. After all, to most of the crowd (young women), she's talking their language, IE. handbags, shoes, nail varnish, y'know women stuff. She's a womans woman and being that is perfect for her as a wedding photographer. Last year I did a workshop with Yervant and Aine. Aine played exactly the same role in their partnership and it works very well. There is a lesson to be learned there, if you have ambitions to become a wedding photog.

As far as all the anonymous begrudgers are concerned, ces't la vie, you just gotta get a thick skin and get on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 petemacdee

I tuned in a for a few hrs of this. Some things were not new, but she had a fresh angle on many things. She had the couple wrapped around her little finger and was excellent at creating 'natural' moments.

In her interview with Chase Jarvis, before it kicked off, she said she didn't know if she'd pay $15k (top wedding price) for herself, but that she only needs to find 20 brides a year who will. It's true of photography, design, art, business. We only need a small core of true customers. Akin to Seth Godin's thoughts on tribes.

Tempted to buy the downloads as I only got to watch a few hrs.. I was inspired by what I watched.

• Advertisement

Yep - sheeeeeeee's back.

Anyone interested in Wedding Photography Business may be interested

Tonight and tomorrow night.

Running now (but on a break as I post - actually they're eating, not pretty)

http://creativelive.com/live

Is it any different than the last one, editing todays wedding so don't really have the energy to watch this too!

meh..... not digging it tonight. ear to it, but not watching much.

I think she probably covered most of what is coming out this evening on last session. A bit more detail perhaps.

It is very business focussed (as billed originally) - her business by her definition is 20% photography 80% business.

Yeah I might get the dvd download if they release one, really notin the mood to be sitting around listening to her tbh, as great as she is you need to be on form for her haha.

Does anyone else think that her poor husband needs to grow a pair?

I only tuned in for a couple minutes tonight, but all I heard was some ****e about how she was the boss and how she gave out to her husband this one time coz he wouldn't put petrol in the car.

Full of it TBH :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Thanks AnCatDubh, just checking it out now, and there is a rewatch... but it doesnt say what time it is there ! :)
    3am there now, sounds like the "11:00 am - My First Second Shooting Experience"... oh just put up "12:00 pm - Finding a Photography Mentor" on the projector.

schedule http://creativelive.com/courses/building-your-wedding-photography-business-jasmine-star

Advertisement