Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother cat looking for kittens??

Options
  • 14-07-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I took in a pregnant cat who had 5 kittens 2 1/2 weeks ago. 1 kitten was born dead so we took him straight away and all was grand. Unfortunately 2 more kittens died at 10days old, then no4 died at 12 days and the final kitten died last sunday.

The mother didnt seem unduly distressed the first few times as she had the others but on sunday after that last one passed she was quite distressed and i sat with her for ages just brushing her and talking to her. All seemed ok till last night when she was crying alot during the night and I had to get up to her. She was just running around the house and wouldnt let me near her. Today she has been crying again and just wandering around the house.

Do you think she is looking for the kittens? I have checked her over to make sure she hasn't got mastitis from having no kittens to feed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Poor cat!

As always, best to check with the vet in case there is a physical thing.

When my cats kittens were rehomed, she used to steal rolled up socks from the airing cupboard & carry them in her mouth around like they were kittens. She stopped after a while. I guess just give her lots of attention & I'd suggest getting her spayed as soon as it can be done as she'll go into heat again very quickly. In fact there is every chance she is preggers again if she's been out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If she's wandering and calling she may be in heat again already. Take her to the vet to be neutered asap.

Advertisement