Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blind baby blackbird

Options
  • 14-07-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi!

I found a baby blackbird on my patio and I have been taking care of him for the past week. He's a lovely little bird and he's quite curious and smart. However, he doesn't have any eyes so he won't be able to live in the wild. His parents still come to feed him but, because he can't see, I don't think he'll last on my patio for very long. Does anyone know of anywhere/anyone that takes in birds and cares for them? Or does anyone want to adopt a lovely friendly little blackbird and give him a nice home? I'd keep him myself but I'm going away for 2 months so I'd love to find him somewhere soon. I'd really appreciate any help people have to offer.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Where abouts are you? I don't know anywhere, but just to help people suggest places.

I'd take him inside now, in case a cat gets him. You could put him in a cardboard box or something, somewhere quite and dark, with a towel and a shallow dish of water, until you can figure out what to do.

I'm sure someone will know a rescue that will take him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sophie123

I live near Stillorgan in Dublin, but I'd try to travel outside Dublin with him if it was the only option. I'm reluctant to take him in because the parents are still feeding him and apparently they eat every hour or so at this age! But I have made a nest for him outside and I make sure he's well protected at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Best thing to do is to euthanize the bird. It is a wild animal that realises a lot on its sight so if it's kept alive it is cruel. I know you're trying to do what's best for it but by keeping it alive you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Excellent info and advice here:

http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie

Best thing to do is to euthanize the bird. It is a wild animal that realises a lot on its sight so if it's kept alive it is cruel. I know you're trying to do what's best for it but by keeping it alive you're not.

I don't know much about wildlife, but if it was tamed and kept in a safe environment, couldn't it be happy? Other blind animals can be happy . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I agree, wild animals are not pets, if they can't live in the wild then I also think euthanize is best. Wild animal parents often have an uncanny way of knowing when there is something wrong with one of their babies and will refused to look after it and leave it to die. I know to civilised humans this seems harsh but it is how nature intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

morganafay wrote: »
    I don't know much about wildlife, but if it was tamed and kept in a safe environment, couldn't it be happy? Other blind animals can be happy . . .

How could it be happy? Sitting/falling of a perch in a little cage? being hand fed for life?

There are not many blind animals that have a good life as sight is critical to animals especially birds. I know you have good intentions but as the old saying goes, you go to be cruel to be kind.

How could it be happy? Sitting/falling of a perch in a little cage? being hand fed for life?

There are not many blind animals that have a good life as sight is critical to animals especially birds. I know you have good intentions but as the old saying goes, you go to be cruel to be kind.

Maybe you are right, I don't know. I guess the OP has to make up her own mind. Some animals can adjust well to being blind and live relatively happily, especially if they've always been blind. But being blind and a wild animal, it's just another thing against the bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A bit high-handed, I'd say, all these people saying it's better off dead than unsighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

You sure it's blind, as far as I know they're born with their eyes closed.

Also there's a thread in nature and bird watching is from someone who reared a tiny(and I mean tiny) bird successfully.

If it comes to it I know some people that should be able to take it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,637 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Orla K wrote: »
    You sure it's blind, as far as I know they're born with their eyes closed.
    Yeah I was wondering about this, its unsual for a bird to have that kind of defect you're describing. No eyes??

hatchling_bird_postcard-p239238673602682638trah_210.jpg

a quick google suggests the eyes should only open after the 2nd week or so. What likely happened is he fell out of his nest shortly after hatching, about the time you found him. If his eyes havent opened in the next 2 weeks you'll know for sure I'd say. Assuming nature doesnt take care of the bird in the form of a predator.

Let nature play it out. If the parents are still feeding it it's got a fighting chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Why are his parents still feeding him? If he is blind....

Thanks to everyone for their help so far!

I am very certain that he is blind-I had it checked out. He's been here for over a week now and when I compare him with pictures of other birds, he's the same size as the one's who can see. I did initially think that euthanising him might be the best thing to do, but there are a lot of people online who seem to have kept perfectly happy blind birds in the past. But the main reason I don't want to do is is because he's such a fighter! He definitely seems to wants to live and I just wouldn't do it unless I was absolutely sure it was the best thing to do.

Orla K, do you really know people who'd like to take him? Cause that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

The Beatles wrote a song about this once.

The poor little fella would sing all night because he didn't know what time it was. :(

Don't kill him.

Thank you all very much, but unfortunately the bird died this afternoon. I think the poor thing was just a bit too weak. Thank you for trying to help though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

You did a good thing, ushering the little one safely through its brief life.

Advertisement