Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Man - Mary Shelley

Options
  • 14-07-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone read this?

I loved Frankenstein, but I stopped a quarter way through The Last Man - it was dragging and woeful.

Is it worth giving another try?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭sxt

Never read it but as there are so many enjoyable books out there that you could be reading , i'd put in on the back burner for the moment and move onto someting else . There is nothing worse than trudgin through a
    long book that you are not feeling or just not in the mood for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Shelley did have a pretty big hand in Frankenstein's origin.
    Didn't he tell her to make up a story on the spot as they were on a
    get-away orgy/holiday & they all kind of worked on it that night?

In any case, if you appreciated that book I'd suggest getting some Shelley,
    if you'd like to learn about Shelley before you read him all I can do is advise this unbelievably amazingly brilliant (:D)
    mp3 lecture on Shelley & how society has purposefully corrupted his memory in statue-form as well as poetically :)

Part 1
    Part 2

I'd recommend Prometheus Unbound & The Masque of Anarchy, but most of all those lectures in order to understand
    a lot about Shelley you wouldn't have guessed & why he's so worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Shelley (PB) is well worth reading alright. Not sure about him writing Frankenstein (which I wasn't mad on personally). It's certainly possible but it seems equally likely that Mary Shelley only had the one great book in her.

Advertisement