Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Carlow..please advise!!

Options
  • 14-07-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey all,
    this is my first post on boards so apologies in advance if I'm not up to speed with the workings of it- I shall endeavour to pick it up post-haste.
    I'm moving to Carlow in September to attend St.Pats as a MATURE STUDENT and will have to sort out a place to rent, preferably an apartment on my own.
    My main worry is ending up living in a student area where the high-jinks of those younger students will keep me awake and annoyed all year!
    The days of on-street vomiting, breaking glass and shopping-trollies-as-transportation are long behind me!

Basically, I'm asking for you fine Carlovians to advise me on the places to AVOID and/or the nicer central areas I could live in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    CGM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Southern gardens, college green ,millbrook are all studenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CGM82

Thanks for that Genghiz..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I think Centaur House might offer what you are looking for but be advised, that area is prone to flooding.

have you found anything on www.daft.ie ?

If you find something there, post the link and we'll give you a report of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

As a rule of thumb, stay away from any area whos place name comes from the name of a priest (starts with Fr.) or is named after a person and you'll do alright. Centaur house is a great recomendation looks like the flodding will be prity much sorted out now, there working on it as we speak.

Bloody loving apartments with parking and not too far from anything if you need to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 radiojay

Hi all,
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm more or less looking for the same information as OP and my situation is same regarding moving to Carlow as a mature student, anyway, I was looking at a few accomadation sites and came up with the following areas,

The Laurels,
    The Brewery, Graiguecullen
    Castle Street

Any advice regarding these areas will be greatly accepted, so thanks in advance and I'll probably be annoying the heads of ye all over the next few weeks for more info :D

Also CGM82 best of luck with the course

• Advertisement

Yep, the names I've seen are as above, also Bullock Park..maybe too close to the IT?

PS. good luck to you too radiojay.

You can hijack the thread, just don't hijack me bed!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

<snip>

Mod note:
    Poster banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

guy's pm me your numbers. My uncle has a few houses around the burrin rd area.(central and very close to tesco's/fair green) I can pass your numbers onto him.

Nothing wrong with graigecullen, well most parts of it. Heatherhill is lovely ha,
    The laurals is dump do not go near there or any place near it. Avondale/Hanover could be good

• Advertisement

regards the above comment. Branding people as a whole is just plain thick. There is scum every where its not localised to any particular area. While Graige is a large area with a lot of estates, it has some bad estates but some very good also the laurels are not great but there is plenty of nice people in there

Lovely people but like anything else 2 - 3 family's bring the place down and turn it into a dump! I said nothing againist the families there but due to a small group of scum I wouldnt even let my pet dog live there! The area is a kip. I wouldnt walk by myself there at night time let alone recommend anyone else to do so just to be PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I lived in The Laurels for a while when I first moved to Carlow to go to St Pats. There are a lot of kids and the houses are really badly soundproofed. It's also about a half hour walk from the town.

There are apartments next to the cathedral, right beside St Pats called Cathedral Walk, Presentation Place. I lived in two of these apartments and they were grand. No other students around so it was quiet and so close to college. Graiguecullen isn't far from the town, and is a nice enough spot.

I'd go along with other posters, stay away from places around the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 radiojay

Thanks for the quick replys everyone,

Tombull 82 thanks for the offer i'll probably pm you in the next week or so, (just have to sort out my budget, not fully set up yet),

Just seen another 2 areas;

"The Willows"
    "Paddocks,Brownshill Road"

if anyone has any experience of these, any advice greatfully accepted,are they close to the town ?, and what kind of facilities (i.e Shops, gyms) are nearby ?.
    I know i'm being a pain but I've only been in Carlow a couple of times and didnt have time to have a good look around, so I dont really have a good idea of the layout of the town and surrounding areas

Thanks again all

Sharky

I was reffering to Hadepsx's post.

Just thought it was a bit harsh. I fully understand what you are saying, I just believe there are some decent people it them area's who seem to take all the blame even when they have nothing to do with it.
    sharky86 wrote: »
    Lovely people but like anything else 2 - 3 family's bring the place down and turn it into a dump! I said nothing againist the families there but due to a small group of scum I wouldnt even let my pet dog live there! The area is a kip. I wouldnt walk by myself there at night time let alone recommend anyone else to do so just to be PC

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

From the Charter,
    If you feel the need to go insulting the travelling community in Carlow, certain areas of Carlow, or certain people in Carlow (Add your own minorities to this list), whether it be using derogatory terms, insults, slurs, or the like, please expect a swift banning from the forum. We will notify you when your ban is to be up

Remeber this when posting in this thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

The Laurels,: Doesn't have a good reputation.
    The Brewery, Graiguecullen : Never heard of it, tbh.
    Castle Street: Very central and only about 5 minute walk from St Pats. Probably not a bad option if the accomodation is nice.

"The Willows"

They're both a decent walk from the town and the college. Does that matter?[/QUOTE]

Thanks to all for posting so far...keep it coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

radiojay wrote: »

Just seen another 2 areas;

"The Willows"

Those are close to each other. Shops are near them both, One gym is near by (Eire Og Gym) but they're not close to the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

radiojay wrote: »
    I know i'm being a pain but I've only been in Carlow a couple of times and didnt have time to have a good look around, so I dont really have a good idea of the layout of the town and surrounding areas

There you go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dandoline

Hi everyone,

CGM82 hope you dont mind me posting here too ;) Im just looking for some advice too. Im moving down aswell as a Mature student to the I.T but Ive two children 6 and 3 so Im looking for houses or areas and school and creches and activities for the 6 year old to do football, kick boxing, hip hop dancing stuff like that.

Any advice would be super, thanks in advance

Dandoline ;)

Advertisement