Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cactus Advice

Options
  • 14-07-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

I bought a cactus about this time last year, just wanted one for the house it didnt show much sign of life i know they are not like normal plants, But around christmas time i noticed a small bub on top of one of the sections, then during the really hot weather a few weeks back this bud took off and 2 more appeared and one more took off aswell nearly growing before my eyes haha, I watered then thinking it might have needed some with the new growth and was wondering should i replant it into a bigger pot and what sort of soil should i use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Obviously it likes the conditions you are providing! I would not do anything at the moment unless it is in one of those very tiny pots and is in danger of falling over.

I have cactus plants still with me since my confirmation (22 yrs ago) along with many others that I've picked up along the way.

If you are going to replant, do it when they are dormant (winter)

Make sure to use the right type of soil mix, cant for the life of me think of the name of the stuff, but its a sandy mixture made for cactus plants.

Lastly, whatever you do, don't over water them when you see the growth. It can be tempting when you see something happening to give it that extra bit of help...dont.

Mine only get watered about 3-4 times a year in total and they are all indoor all year round except for 2-3 weeks when the weather is fine and not too wet. Well, all except the biggest which is now too heavy to lift safely :o

Advertisement