Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of opening my business wifi to public any ideas on this

Options
  • 14-07-2010 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi all I have recently opened my new gadget repair shop and I was thinking of allowing anyone to join my wireless network for personal use.

I was wondering if there are any problems assoiated with this, below is a list of my concerns

• Is it legal to open wifi to public
    • Stop someone from hogging all the bandwith I need it for my business still:D
    • People been able to access my laptop on the network

I am using a mobile dongle connected to the new vodafone router and I have no secuirty setup on it yet

Ideas and opinions welcome

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi all I have recently opened my new gadget repair shop and I was thinking of allowing anyone to join my wireless network for personal use.

I was wondering if there are any problems assoiated with this, below is a list of my concerns

• Is it legal to open wifi to public
    • Stop someone from hogging all the bandwith I need it for my business still:D
    • People been able to access my laptop on the network

I am using a mobile dongle connected to the new vodafone router and I have no secuirty setup on it yet

Ideas and opinions welcome

thanks

For 2, there's QoS as one answer.

for 3, there's client isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Be aware of your possible legal risks from joe public using your connection for nefarious purposes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gadget.Repair

Bump any one with any further info

thanks for the other replies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Are you mad? You need to have proper isolation at the least. Invest in a firewall (hardware) that can split the traffic and keep both networks seperate.

Otherwise get a fon AP as that will split the traffic for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some ISPs don't permit you to give 3rd parties access (share the connection).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote: »
    Some ISPs don't permit you to give 3rd parties access (share the connection).
    grey area, EU law says you can, but if the ISP kills your connection then would you go to court over it ?

make sure you don't have a cap

fon is the handiest way to generate revenue and separate their traffic from yours

you can NAT off the public and private networks by using routers with WAN ports linking to a third device which has the internet connection

Advertisement