Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords League Race 14/07/10 - Clonalvy

• 14-07-2010 9:43pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Ryaner - a victory in your first ever race!

This is my least favourite course, and I had managed to do a marshall swap - so this report is from a marshall's perspective. In fact, there were nearly as many boardsies marshalling (myself, staro and Hungrycol) as racing.

I met Ryaner before the race -he managed to blag his way into the slow group (not much persuasion required - as soon as the guy in charge new it was his first race he was offered a spot in Group 1). I explained the hilly nature of the course to him, and his eyes lit up - apparently he prefers hills to the flat:eek:

Groups 3 and 4 were merged - so there were 4 groups rather than the usual 5.

I was positioned at the first major corner, about a quarter of a lap from the finish - the race would be 3 and a half laps.

On the first lap all the groups remained together and seemed to be working well. Second time round Group 1 had dropped a couple, but still probably had a dozen or so who were working very well. In fact, with a number of new riders and some dropping down from Group 2 it seems a pretty strong group now.

Groups 3/4 were caught by scratch during the first lap, and by the second time round Group 2 were 5 and a half minutes behind Group 1, and Groups 3/4/5 were another 3 minutes back.

Third time round 1 rider had made a break from Group 1, but he must have been reeled in during the following lap. Group 2 was still 3 and a half minutes behind with 3/4/5 another couple of minutes back

On the final lap, there was a break of 3 including Ryaner who was looking very strong. There was another 5 or 6 about 30 seconds back (including LDB I think) - The main bunch were about 2 minutes behind the leaders.

After the stragglers came through I headed to the finish to get confirmation of what I had guessed may happen - well done Ryaner - I don't think you'll be in Group 1 next week though!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

LDB rode very well too. Ryaner rode a clever race not wasting energy yet doing more than his share of the work.

Actually like the course as it's interesting but its very hard with little respite from hills.

I was advised not to race as have cellulitis (a soft tissue infection)on both my legs so that's my excuse ....

Roll on the Bog where climbing isn't a premium :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Thanks guys. I got quite lucky near the end, espec with the break staying away. That and the climbs are what I'd been training for for the past 10 months so course really suited me. The young guy also dropped his chain or caught or something in the sprint at the end letting me get ahead.

The bog of the ring circuit looks much flatter and faster :(

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Reckon that's the toughest circuit. All marshals done a great job. Lucky the weather stayed dry. Roll on bog 'o' the ring!!
    Sounds like group1 are working well and there's some really strong riders in all groups.
    Well done to all finishers and thanks to all involved.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Well 2nd race and a Great one. like this circuit cause of the hills but not so much the potholes and difficult corners.

fair play to ryaner, much too strong for group 1, nice to chat to you after too. Think velo bro got 3rd too - and no i wont shave my legs man. i swear he shouts this at me on every climb, i obviously its just to ruin my rythm! young rasmussen was very impressive too.

myself, i got 7th - delighted with that, just ahead of LDB (again nice to meet you) after good fun sprinting up the hill. As she ll tell you herself i ve no idea how we stayed away from scratch, could see them roaring up behind with 500m to go and we were both cursing them. another effort and a sprint and i think only two passed us. ended with a frankie dettori style flying dismount due to lungs about to collapse and cramp. Racing hurts!!

I sometimes find myself struggling on the flat, descents and corners but recover and actually hope the hills come. Will be interesting to see how much i struggle next week on a flat course.

Nutrition was miles better tonight - plenty of water, energy drink and popped a gel just before the off although messed with my stomach a bit for first lap.

Overall delighted with a top 10, good to see some of us stay away, enjoying the racing!

edit: thanks to all the marshals, delighted to see Sam on that dodgy right hander the second time round.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kennyb3 wrote: »

edit: thanks to all the marshals, delighted to see Sam on that dodgy right hander the second time round.

Didn't realise we had managed to cover that nasty bend

Marshalls were thin on the ground tonight, so we had to spread out - there are normally 2 on most junctions, but I think they mainly had 1 each tonight. Tonight was originally scheduled to be another more straightforward course - all the marshalls originally rostered turned up, but there simply were not enough of us to double up on the junctions - I think the cars and motorcycle outriders did well to keep oncoming traffic back at the junctions

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »

I was advised not to race as have cellulitis (a soft tissue infection)on both my legs so that's my excuse ....

Is it true that you managed to get hold of a doctor's certificate to support your "promotion" to Group 1, and if so, how do I get hold of one?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭abc_xyz

After having a good race on this course two weeks ago I moved up to group 3 for the race tonight. Unfortunately (for me) group 3 and 4 were merged so the pace seemed fairly hard from the start though I tried to do my share (didn't want to just hang on first time out). Seemed there were only about 5-6 guys working so there was never a proper rhythm going like group 2 usually have. Survived with the group till scratch caught us at the hill on the one lap mark, only reason I reckon I stayed with the group up it was I was already half-way up as they came through. Managed to hang to the group until the left onto the main road (where Joe was marshaling) but gave in to the pain at that stage and dropped off.

Cycled back to the Garristown Road (think it's Garristown Road) with the intention of heading back to the car but two guys (numbers 151 & 48) came through behind me and enthusiasm got the better of me. Did the remaining lap and half with the guys so at least I finished.

Didn't think I'd find the step up between groups that hard but I think it was partially that there was no group 4 and scratch caught us so quickly. I'm hoping anyway :) On the positive side I took the dodgy pothole corner much better this week - last time I completely missed it once and the back wheel skidded out badly twice out of four attempts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Velo Bro

Hey Folks
    Good race again last night, really like that course. Was expecting rain so the sunshine was a welcome bonus also. Strong group 1 this week which kept us away from the scratch.
    The young lad Paul rode very well deserved his 2nd place at the finish and Ryaner? on the Carvelo was in really good form and deserved the win. Well done KennyB3 on 7th although I reckon if you shaved those legs you might get on the podium;).
    Also thanks to the marshals for making it possible and safe. Next week my turn to help out:(.

Cheers

Velo Bro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Sounds like a good race. Pity I couldn't make it last night.

abc_xyz wrote: »
    Seemed there were only about 5-6 guys working so there was never a proper rhythm going like group 2 usually have.

I suspect Group 2 are suffering from the defections to Groups 1 and 3 at present. You were one of the hardest workers in Group 2. I think they need to reassess the handicaps if Group 1 remains so strong (I mentioned this to Joe last night, and he indicated some sympathy, but then again, we never got any handicaps in the TTs)

I'm hoping anyway :) On the positive side I took the dodgy pothole corner much better this week - last time I completely missed it once and the back wheel skidded out badly twice out of four attempts :)

... and you still won the race!

I'm expecting regular reports from you now abc_xyz (I think it's probably going to be easier for you to call out my username than me calling out yours)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Perfect bike for you seen last night Beasty...

(rear B-stay :o)

colc40.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

chakattack wrote: »
    Sounds like a good race. Pity I couldn't make it last night.
    +1
    I was looking forward to this all week but missed it due to work. Will be there next week.

By my reckoning getting on 30 boardsies have taken part in the Swords League during the course of this season - perhaps we should rename it the "Boards League"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Didn't think I'd find the step up between groups that hard but I think it this was partially that because there was no group 4 and scratch caught us so quickly.

fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Homme Enigmatique

It was great that the weather stayed good last night especially as that circuit can be very tricky in the wet like on club champs night. Like Rob Fowl said there is very little respite on the circuit & again it was a hard race & a lot of pain was experienced. I think everybody feels it on that circuit no matter what you group you may be in. Roll on next week to an easier circuit.

Advertisement