Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Empathy on Colm and Lucy's Show

• 14-07-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

It was appauling to hear Colm (where's me Jim Jim) this morning trying to be empathetic going over the news headlines about the terrible accident in Donegal at the weekend.

It's at times like this the nation misses Gerry Ryan. Colm is too jovial and comes across all wrong.

Keep him for the tom-foolery as per his clown-.esque TV show with Jim Jim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And your point Sir???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

eh .......... it's at times like this we miss Gerry Ryan ??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

eh .......... it's at times like this we miss Gerry Ryan ??!!

Couldn't stand the guy, so no.

Also, re the "empathy" and the topic under discussion........I'm finding it hard to find the right balance between humanity towards those who have lost someone and the fact that there were too many people in the car.....seven in one car - a Volkswagen Passat, not a people carrier - is asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Couldn't stand the guy, so no.

Also, re the "empathy" and the topic under discussion........I'm finding it hard to find the right balance between humanity towards those who have lost someone and the fact that there were too many people in the car.....seven in one car - a Volkswagen Passat, not a people carrier - is asking for trouble.

I think there was 8 in the VW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I'm annoyed by the recent, constant, incorrect use of the word 'empathy'.

Since when has 'sympathy' become unfashionable?

'Empathy' means ACTUALLY feeling someone's feelings, like twins are said to, whereas 'sympathy' means respect for and agreement with another's feelings.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Colm and Lucy really can't handle serious topics at all. I have only been listening to them for a couple of weeks, but in that time, I have not heard one serious topic being discussed. It has been fluffy nonsense (lost wedding rings, amusing holiday stories, children with long names and other topics of massive public interest) for 3 hours every day.

Whatever you say about G Ryan (and I personally wasn't a fan) he had the gravitas and intellect to do a serious story as well as the jokey stuff. He was always able to strike a good balance. It will be interesting what kind of stance Tubridy takes as his current show is pretty much fluffy nonsense too. I'd like to see him do a little more hard hitting, he certainly has the intellect for it.

On a total unrelated point, if I hear Lucy saying "how you doin" in that stupid accent or hear her cackle of a laugh, I am going to break my radio :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm not overly confident that Tubridy will be all that much better at the serious stuff if his late late handling of such is anything to go by. He always appears a little awkward in such interviews, his interview with the 3 young priests was cringworthy imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

ncmc wrote: »
    Colm and Lucy really can't handle serious topics at all. I have only been listening to them for a couple of weeks, but in that time, I have not heard one serious topic being discussed. It has been fluffy nonsense (lost wedding rings, amusing holiday stories, children with long names and other topics of massive public interest) for 3 hours every day.

Whatever you say about G Ryan (and I personally wasn't a fan) he had the gravitas and intellect to do a serious story as well as the jokey stuff. He was always able to strike a good balance. It will be interesting what kind of stance Tubridy takes as his current show is pretty much fluffy nonsense too. I'd like to see him do a little more hard hitting, he certainly has the intellect for it.

On a total unrelated point, if I hear Lucy saying "how you doin" in that stupid accent or hear her cackle of a laugh, I am going to break my radio :mad:

they do discuss a lot of fluff but thier HARD COPY compared to the tom dunne show where buying a new pair of sandals comes under heated debate

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tim63

they are improving, i would let them run with it, i can't see anyone over on these shores that is going to do any better, well done colm and lucy after a slow start your getting there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Personally I don't like the show. Lucy just doesn't fit in right. Colm would probably have been better on his own. It will be very interesting to see the next JNLRs to see how they did. I believe RTE's own research shows they did ok considering the circumstances.

An incident like the death of Gerry Ryan was seismic for 2FM as it would for any station when their main pillar suddenly disappears. They recovered as well as they could and Ryan Tubridy will blow away the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 matt007

Was apalled at their views on the new law which lends further explanation on the use of "reasonable force" when an intruder or
    trespasser is encountered.

My gosh, they were joking about keeping a hatchet at the side of the bed. Colm said he sleeps with a hurley at the side of his bed, and one texter even said he would cut people up with Samuria Swords (aren't these themseleves illegal).

Comments like these really should not be condoned.

Did anyone else catch it?

Views...

Advertisement