Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will someone please help a total amateur..

Options
  • 14-07-2010 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

It seemed so simple. Register a domain name, choose a host, and download an FTP client. But now what?. I successfully uploaded a sample page I created, and I published pages using sitestudio. Why can I not find anything when I put my domain into my browser?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

Well, the info you gave is scant, but I'll have a guess that

a) uploaded your page to the wrong place.
    b) didn't point the uploaded page (www.yourdomain.com/mynewfile.html)
    c) didn't change the DNS names of your new domain to the ip address of host
    d) ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Bebra wrote: »
    It seemed so simple. Register a domain name, choose a host, and download an FTP client. But now what?. I successfully uploaded a sample page I created, and I published pages using sitestudio. Why can I not find anything when I put my domain into my browser?.

Does your web server will have a www or public_html directory? If so you need to put the files in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Need more information Bebra. What directory did you upload to.

Maybe use a regular FTP client like FileZilla instead of that auto publishing stuff. Get a better idea where your files are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bebra

Thanks guys. No offense, but you're talking double - dutch to me. If it doesn't have a button or an icon them I'm totally stumped. This is where I'm at:
    I registered a domain, and I have a host ( novara.ie). I used a template (SiteStudio) in my domain control panel to create a basic home page.

These are my problems:
    1) I can't for the life of me figure out how to edit my homepage, so that I can add more content and pages. When I publish from SiteStudio, nothing seems to happen.
    2) I transferred a simple file using FileZilla. I can see this file in File Manager in my domain control panel. I don't know what to do with it.

Please excuse my amateur - ness, I just want to create a basic site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Do you want to make the site offline or use the site builder.

If you have something made offline and want to upload it, this should be straight forward enough.

To be honest, it's impossible to see what you are doing unless one of us were to help you. Have you got any friend that can show you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You should buy a book really.

Your control panel might allow you to install Joomla or wordpress which would be a much more user friendly way of making websites. It's all buttons and links which would be familiar to anyone that's used a publisher package or facebook site.

It depends what your looking to do, learn how to make a website from scratch or just get a website out to the public.

Advertisement