Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheelset dilemma

• 14-07-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

I have a nice dilemma. I've ordered a new bike (Canyon Ultimate CF 9 - can't wait). It comes with Mavic Ksyrium SL's.

I've already got a pair of Campagnolo Zonda's. Not as good as Ksyrium SL's I know, but decent enough. I'm wondering should I sell the unused Ksyriums and use the proceeds to buy a pair of aero wheels - probably Cosmic Carbone SL's. Based on initial sums this might cost me about €150.

So I'm interested in thoughts and experiences of these wheelsets or other recommendations. I don't race - just touring and sportives.
    Also, are there extra costs I should be considering with Cosmic Carbones - e.g. Need pricier tyres than GP4000's or special brake pads?

Initial calculations - using CRC prices (CSS prices are better but they don't have Ksyrium SL so below prices for comparison of all three)

Cosmic Carbone SL €942.26 Weight 780G + 960G
    Ksyrium SL €865.88 Weight 645G + 840G
    Zonda €599.82 Weight 675G + 935G

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Personally, I'd keep the Ksyriums. Great wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Why would you want Carbones for touring and sportives? The aero is really only an advantage (and a tiny one at that) at race speeds - a lighter wheelset (like the SLs) is nice at any speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cosmic Carbones are a carbon-faired aluminium clincher rim and as such use standard tyres and brake pads. If you don't race though you really don't need them and I would stick with the Ksyriums. I have Cosmic Carbones myself but would not use them in a hilly sportive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

+1 on the Ksyriums, very nice wheels and I have yet to be blown away by the Carbones.

There are plenty of handbuilt alternatives from the likes of wheelsmith. It's important to ask yourself what you want from the wheel: lightweight, practical, etc.

TBH, I would buy a cheap set of aksiums for training and winter (Ksyriums don't have the thickest braking surface, don't expect them to last as long as a cheaper wheelset if you are heavy on the brakes) and keep the ksyriums for sportives. TBH, if you can't get decent times (is this your objective, if not, insert it here) then it won't be the wheels holding you back. Buying a set of cosmics won't suddenly take an hour off your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

Pretty unanimous verdict there, thanks.
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    TBH, if you can't get decent times (is this your objective, if not, insert it here) then it won't be the wheels holding you back.

Objective is really to not have two pairs of fairly similar wheels (Zonda's and Ksyrium SL's) with one sitting in the shed gathering dust. From the responses it sounds like the Ksyriums are quite a bit better than the Zonda's though so forget that logic.
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    TBH, I would buy a cheap set of aksiums for training and winter ... and keep the ksyriums for sportives.

Sounds like good advice. Use my 12 month old Zonda's as training wheels and Ksyriums for sportives / special events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Keep your existing alloy wheels for normal use and buy some deep carbon clinchers for special occasions, e.g. Reynolds Assault or Soul C5s.

Full carbon rims look awesome, which is the only thing that really matters.

Lumen wrote: »
    Keep your existing alloy wheels for normal use and buy some deep carbon clinchers for special occasions, e.g. Reynolds Assault or Soul C5s.

These wheels are great for commuting to work on. I should know.

Raam wrote: »
    These wheels are great for commuting to work on. I should know.

I prefer to use my HED Ardennes "climbing wheels" for commuting - the Phoenix Park has a slight incline and I need all the advantage I can get defending attacks from peope on hybrids and dutch bikes.

I have yet to be beaten on my races home. The times I have been beaten are when I am on a go slow day. I always make sure to catch up to passing riders and inform them of this. Then I let them win their stupid race which I wasn't racing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I'm not sure you'd notice much of a difference between Zonda and SL. Zonda lines up roughly with Ksyrium Elite in terms of price point and performance (I've owned both) and Elite is just one notch down from SL. Use the compare feature on the Mavic website you'll see that there's very little between the Elite and the SL. The hubs and rims are essentially the same, but the SL has lighter spokes and QR skewers than the Elite, adding up to a total difference of 65g (an extra energy bar in your pocket).

That all said, I don't know why you'd bother getting aero wheels for touring and sportives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

:D

cantalach wrote: »
    That all said, I don't know why you'd bother getting aero wheels for touring and sportives.

The real winner of any sportive is the person who completes the course in the slowest time with the most expensive gear.

The real winner of any sportive is the person who completes the course in the slowest time with the most expensive gear.

I once spotted a rider at the WW200 on a Cervelo with platform pedals and a tracksuit. Now I don't care what anyone else buys or owns, but I just wondered why? Maybe it was a loan.

I once spotted a rider at the WW200 on a Cervelo with platform pedals and a tracksuit. Now I don't care what anyone else buys or owns, but I just wondered why? Maybe it was a loan.

That's impressive, but falls somewhat short of the Lone Wolf.

lotus+guy.jpg

I've been considering breaking out Kaiku for the commute, but I think my work colleagues are not yet ready for it. Sure, they are used to seeing me in lycra, but not THAT lycra.

I've been considering breaking out Kaiku for the commute, but I think my work colleagues are not yet ready for it. Sure, they are used to seeing me in lycra, but not THAT lycra.

I did it once. Someone shouted FAGGOT at me (on the street, not in work).

Whilst it is quite invigorating to provoke the prejudices of stone-wielding scumbags, it can be a little draining dealing with this at 7am.

It's good to see that some scumbags are dedicated enough to get up early for a days abuse. Makes me feel lazy for staying in bed till 8 this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I did it once. Someone shouted FAGGOT at me (on the street, not in work).

Whilst it is quite invigorating to provoke the prejudices of stone-wielding scumbags, it can be a little draining dealing with this at 7am.

When I saw this photo yesterday, I couldn't but wonder how many times our four euro friends must have heard "faaking wankah!" from ute drivers as they made their way through Geelong traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

+1

If you want em, buy em

Advertisement