Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenveagh National Park (photo heavy)

Options
  • 14-07-2010 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all as the title suggests took a wee trip out to glenveagh today, Thought it was just OK (bar the birds of prey) if im being honest, the Castle itself is in bad need of repair in places and the gardens are also very "weedy" and lots of plants dying which was a shame, i was also annoyed at the fact that there is no photography at all allowed on the tour, i asked why and was told its just policy?!? i can see why no flash photography but no photography at all seemed strange to me, although i did sneek a few photos in, lol.

Anyways enough of all the bad stuff, i thought the bird of pray display was worth the money alone it was great, infact one bird alone made it worth it, its not everyday you get a 5 kilo almost 2 foot tall golden eagle prectically sitting on your shoulder, its was fantastic and also the guy giving the demo explained the whole posioning suituation too when i asked him, its said the farmers lay down posion to kill verman then the eagles eat the verman, he says there are 3 chicks this year and they are getting some from scotland too for release here, which is great news... anyways heres some snaps (i know they are slightly larger than 800pix wide but they are better viewed that wee bit larger thus the warning in the title)....

4793985386_14f2c3ea6c_b.jpg

4793962336_a00889b551_b.jpg

4793988760_efd4989f37_b.jpg

thanks for looking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nice shots homer.

I can see a new avatar appearing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

I'm not a fan of birds but that is one sexy bird! Great shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Hey them photos aren't that heavy my monitor is still the same weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Beautiful creature - thanks!

Madam wrote: »
    Beautiful creature - thanks!
    Homer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

A few years ago, I was driving along the Errigal Road to Bunbeg, at dusk.
    I was about half way between Glenveagh and Dunlewy, when out to my right, this feckin' huge bird took flight, flew across the road, and off towards the top of the Poison Glen. A Golden Eagle, silhouetted against a pale blue sky, is an awesome thing to see - scared the be'jaybus outta me! :D

BTW - Great pics there HS!

muffler wrote: »
    Homer?

Could be;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Some nice photos homer,seen them the last time i done the trees for them , man you dont expect them to be that big there massive.

Could be;)
    Homer, tell the g/f that she has some serious competition here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I was planning a return trip to Glenveagh over the next few days but can you tell me if the midges there are as bad as ever?! Had to cut the trip short last year, it was beyond a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

bohsboy wrote: »
    I was planning a return trip to Glenveagh over the next few days but can you tell me if the midges there are as bad as ever?! Had to cut the trip short last year, it was beyond a joke!

Yeah there are still bad but id advise going on a mizzley / slightly wet day that keeps the worst of them at bay!

Never mind the midgies it's the giant Clegs(supposedly the biggest in Europe) you have to look out for:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Yeah there are still bad but id advise going on a mizzley / slightly wet day that keeps the worst of them at bay!

I went for a visit on Monday (12 July), which was drizzly...midges were still quite bad. Having said that, as long as we kept walking (no matter how slowly) they weren't unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Never mind the midgies it's the giant Clegs(supposedly the biggest in Europe

who told ya that?

In the Vistor's centre at Glenveagh there's an exhibition on flora and fauna of the park. Clegs are given this accolade:p It may have changed, it's been a few years since ! was there.

Advertisement