Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering a dog

Options
  • 14-07-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

a friend of mine has bought a non reg pup but both of the parents are reg, he said the breeder didnt want to go to the hassel of registering the litter and sold them at a cheaper price. He is wondering know if he can register the pup as he wants to show the dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

He can't register them now. If the breeder didn't register the litter there's no way of doing it, only the breeder can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As TooManyDogs says, only the breeder can register the litter. But its not too late I don't think, if your friend is willing to pay the cost of registering, could he contact the breeder and ask for that pup to be registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

As said above, only the breeder can register the litter.
    Usually theres a reason this isn't done by breeder, either one or both parents aren't registered, the bitch has had too many litters, or is to old/young etc.
    I don't understand why anyone would buy a pedigree dog that is unregistered, no breeder breeds pups and doesn't register them unless they have something to hide.

If all is above board it may not be too late, contact the breeder and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

As everyone stated only the breeder can do so.

If your friend wanted to show the dog they should have done their research and they would have know that only the breeder can register pups and the dog has to be IKC reg to show it.

So many dodgy breeders out there and i would seriously question this one that your friend got their pup from if they dont want to register the pup.

Try contacting the breeder and ask them if they would register the pup for them but if they wont register the dog then im afraid theres nothing they can do.
    They have to get the pup microchipped to be IKC reg too, did the breeder even do this?

Where did your friend find the dog/breeder from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

boxermad wrote: »
    a friend of mine has bought a non reg pup but both of the parents are reg, he said the breeder didnt want to go to the hassel of registering the litter and sold them at a cheaper price. He is wondering know if he can register the pup as he wants to show the dog.

Oh just to add, if the breeder had them advertised as non reg because of cheaper price then im afraid your friend has no come back really as if they were advertised non reg then your friend knew that they were buying a non reg pup.
    It would be diff if they had advertised the dog as being IKC reg but then wasnt after they bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

How do you know if they are registered. Is there paperwork and are all registered pups chipped? Thinking of getting a puppy myself and just want to be sure that I know what to look for paperwork wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

CuteStuff wrote: »
    How do you know if they are registered. Is there paperwork and are all registered pups chipped? Thinking of getting a puppy myself and just want to be sure that I know what to look for paperwork wise.

You should get registerion papers with the pup when you buy it, some breeders will say they will pass the papers on to you but I wouldn't recommend you deal with a breeder like this unless you know them personally as too many people have been left high and dry like this. All registered pups are now chipped, they didn't have to be up until recently but they do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

When looking for a pedigree pup you should ask to be shown or given a copy of the parents registration papers, They will have the IKC(Irish kennel club) logo and the parents names and the breeders name and address.
    All pups must be chipped to be registered, sometimes the papers won't be back in time for you to pick up the pup, but they usually only take a couple of weeks(although up to 6 weeks can happen).
    You should also see the pups in their home, with both parents or at least the mother.

The papers will be in the breeders name, you then have to send them off to change to your name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

O thanks lads. Trying to educate myself before the big commitment!!! :D

Advertisement