Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Few Shots From San Fran

• 14-07-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Just finished processing shots from the first part of our recent trip to California. I'm so happy that they are finally done that I decided to share a few...:D If somebody feels like it, C&C is welcome.

SF Skyline
    0226038599F5489FAEAD628638242E2D-800.jpg

Hazy GGB
    A12229C19C404EC0A21A30B9EB6D2860-800.jpg

the GOLDEN bridge
    6E07F660C8864541A28A04CB429B14CE-800.jpg

Learning The Ropes
    0663FDBC7C094B36A78103C667D265C7-800.jpg

Palace of Fine Arts
    7B5721A011FC4FB29A945C9067B56C56-800.jpg

California Flat Old
    BFD68357C10D423F85D1AAA191277A66-800.jpg

On The Move
    90A68549584943E2AC9D854EA7ACC114-800.jpg

Small&Far Away
    314284F507CD4D0687E2C482B235999C-800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wow! What a place. Love No. 1 and No. 8.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Really like the composition on all of these, not so much the HDR pp'ing (apologies if they're not - viewed in my iPhone tiny screen).
    Only other c&c I'll offer is I would have preferred to have gotten the whole pole in the last one. But then again the extra viewable distortion might take away from an excellent shot
    Going myself next march & these have got me excited, so thanks!

Edit - was it California or San Fran you visited :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

# 2 works for me, Very nice.

I don't like the HDR look of the others I'm afraid, it suits the old ford best - but looks like overkill on the scenics/bridge shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nebezpeci Mys

@ kev Longshanks100 - thanks very much. Some of the shots are HDR (3&5), the rest aren't. The place is absolutely amazing with loadza stuff to take pix of. Did bit of travelling too - Yosemite, Big Suir, Badwater (the lowest point in the desert) to name the best known places... Enjoy your travels! Looking forward to see your pix here...

Some of the others look HDR, how did you process? Maybe they're just a little over-saturated? Love the mist and compo in #2 anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I really like 1, 2 and 4 - the others are good shots, but don't do much for me, HDR really isn't my cup of tea.
    Looks like it was a great trip, anyway, lovely place to visit, I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I like these, especially the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Really like #3 & #5, well processed!

Is it me, or are most of them crooked... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Incredible! I was there last month and wish I'd had more time to wander around shooting. Love the misty GGB. Where was 1 taken?

Please tell me you went to Sausalito? It's an incredible little town!

Thecageyone
    Some of the others look HDR, how did you process? Maybe they're just a little over-saturated? Love the mist and compo in #2 anyway :)
    I normally use LR and sometimes Photomatix for tonemapping, i.e. no. 1 was tonemapped, while the rest non-HDR images went through LR; I usually mess around with my own filters and presets.
    greeneyedspirit
    Looks like it was a great trip, anyway, lovely place to visit, I'd say!
    It absolutely is. This was my first trip to the US and already I plan to go back to SF and travel around in a different direction. :D
    kjt
    Is it me, or are most of them crooked... confused.gif
    Shouldn't be but it's difficult to say, i.e. the GGB ones - the towers are thinner the higher they get and the ropes do not help either. Another one could be no. 5 where you can choose which line you will take as the centre point because it will throw all the other ones to one side or another...:o
    alexlyons
    Incredible! I was there last month and wish I'd had more time to wander around shooting. Love the misty GGB. Where was 1 taken?

Please tell me you went to Sausalito? It's an incredible little town!
    I know exactly how you feel - we spent 10 days in SF and 7 driving around and it definitely felt like we didn't have enough time. No matter how well you do your research you will not find the hidden gems unless you talk to the people there. So, even after those 10 days I still have places which I would like to go to and see...:)

No. 1 was taken from Coit Tower on Telegraph Hill and no, we didn't go to Sausalito. We drove a different way I'm afraid... but this is just another reason to go back there and continue our adventure! ;)

Thank you all for your comments, folks. Appreciate the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Very nice pics, I was looking at the EXIF of the last one, f4.5 and 17mm , how come the buildings in the background are also in focus ?

i would have thought this would be f22 or so ...

Really clear day, allowing for fast exposure? good glass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Composition is great, but I'm not mad about the PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Love the last one - not so sure about the GGB ones though.. maybe it's just me that'd like a bit of colour in those shots..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

the_monkey wrote: »
    Very nice pics, I was looking at the EXIF of the last one, f4.5 and 17mm , how come the buildings in the background are also in focus ?

Depth-of-field is influenced by more than just aperture value; it can usually be sufficiently controlled without ever having to resort to f/22 or greater. I haven't done the math, but I suspect that (for a reasonable circle-of-confusion) a 17mm lens at f/4.5 focused to somewhere in the middle-distance (preferably near the hyperfocal distance) will put everything in focus from about a meter away from the camera to infinity.

Even if the lens wasn't focused anywhere near the hyperfocal distance and wasn't focused near its minimum focusing distance, I'd say the depth-of-field would still cover a very significant range, at least enough to make the flag and skyline look somewhat in focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Awesome pics

Quick question (s)

What camera did you use? Could i get the same sort of results wit my Canon 400d??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

well done really like the processing on them all.

Flat old is my favorite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

scudzilla wrote: »
    Awesome pics

Quick question (s)

What camera did you use? Could i get the same sort of results wit my Canon 400d??

EXIF data shows Canon 450D was used

Thanks a million guys. I guess all questions were answered at this stage, so just to fill the gaps:
    the monkey

As answered by charybdis, you can choose what part of the shot you want to have in focus, no matter the aperture; aperture controls the DoF, i.e. how much will be in focus, it doesn't dictate that if you shoot something far away you can only use high F no. (I hope I'm making sense...:o)

You actually had me to check the original size (approx. 6times larger than the one posted here) and the buildings are not as sharp as you think.
    Thecageyone
    Really clear day, allowing for fast exposure? good glass?
    scudzilla

I use Canon 450D and various lenses; for no. 8 it was Canon 17-85mm, the rest are between Tamron 18-200mm, Canon 70-200mm L USM and the Canon kit lens (18-55mm).

I don't see any reason why the same or very similar results couldn't be achieved with 400D, although you might experience more noise in low light conditions if using ISO higher than 400. Have a look at trooney's photos on pix.ie, I believe that these were taken with 400D.

Once again thanks to everybody for all the comments&thanks.

Advertisement