Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how much training is too much ????

• 14-07-2010 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hi all or anyone !

i am in need of some advice.
    i have given up the smokes & have been training for a few years.
    i swim everyday for one hr in the evening , during the summer i cycle most mornings for one hour and once or twce a week i run for about 30 mins. i also do about 110 press ups 2 to 4 mornings a week.

am i doing too much ??? i dont want to burn out. i'm33 and have never been so fit. i have no interest in gyms and anytime i google "how much excerise is too much" it always brings me to weight loss which is something i have never had to worry about. i just want to be fit & stay fit.

can anyone reccomend some kind of training method or a web site that would give me this information.
    any information greatly appreiated on this

thanks

Micko

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

there is only one thing to say, there is no overtraining just under resting!
    I know that sounds smart ass but seriously thats the way it is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hi Micko,

Its impossible to say if thats too much for you to be doing without specking to a doc or fitness instructor, I am neither btw. That said if you are comfortable doing the exercise, enjoy it and its not causing any health problems I cant see any issue.
    +1 with what [EMAIL="me@ucd"]me@ucd[/EMAIL] said, rest is very very important, it allows your body build needed muscle, repair our body and allows you have friends. Without proper rest and/or scheduled easy weeks into your work outs you may push your body past what its willing to accept.
    When I go through my fitness phases I have an event to aim for, it gives focus to training as well as rewards. If your cycling, running and swimming (I hate to say it but) you could look into doing triathlons, endurance or even an Iron Man!!. The A.R.T. thread maybe a good place to check out as thats where the runners, endurance ppl and tri guys hang out, just remember the cycling forum is much much friendlier :D
    Another forum you may want to check out is the fitness forum, I have always found them very helpful.

I hope this is some use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think training is better helped by having a goal you can aim for at the end. Do you have any aspirations for competing in triathlons?

Maybe pick one, try it out and see how you get on, then you can try and better your time in another one. It's a useful measurement of your fitness and will let you focus your training.

Having a training log on the A/R/T forum will let the more experienced heads there offer advice about your training, quantity, what events, etc.

WARNING: You might get addicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Micko_

way too late for the addicted warning.
    ex- smoker.
    i addiction for another.
    but thanks all for the info.
    gotta get the cycle in before the rain starts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

whats the best way to recover after a training session. im training nearly every day either running or swimming but im not lifting any weights yet. continue to do the 150k sportive cycles probably every week or once a fortnight at least.
    found myself getting tired after the ROK and it has taken me nearly a week to recover.
    just wondering what foods or rest i should really be getting..
    if i start weight strength training am i better off to do this in morning or afternoon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

me@ucd wrote: »
    there is only one thing to say, there is no overtraining just under resting!
    I know that sounds smart ass but seriously thats the way it is :)

Just posted this in A/R/T :)

I know a few pro athletes. They don't train much more than the average bloke/bird but they do sleep alot more. An awful lot more. They recover quicker and can maintain the volumes for longer without breakdown and up the intensity much more too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

kala85 wrote: »
    if i start weight strength training am i better off to do this in morning or afternoon..
    The weight strength training may help with the swimming but it won't help with the cycling, particularly not long sportives. To be honest even swimming specific training (e.g. swimming) is likely to be of more benefit- suggestions for exercises involving the body's own weight. In general in these sports you want to avoid unnecessary muscle bulk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tunney wrote: »
    Just posted this in A/R/T :)

I know a few pro athletes. They don't train much more than the average bloke/bird but they do sleep alot more. An awful lot more. They recover quicker and can maintain the volumes for longer without breakdown and up the intensity much more too.

Pro endurance athletes typically try to sleep 10-12 hours a night. That tends to apply to cyclists, endurance runners as well.

It's the rest periods to allow recover rather than the training per se which means the full-time athlete has such and advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RobFowl wrote: »
    Pro endurance athletes typically try to sleep 10-12 hours a night. That tends to apply to cyclists, endurance runners as well.

It's the rest periods to allow recover rather than the training per se which means the full-time athlete has such and advantage.

Up, train, nap, train, nap, train, nap, ar$e about, bed for 10 hours. Bliss.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

On basis of pro athletes regimes, I recall Paul O Connell did an article about his average day a while back.
    Wake small breakfast train breakfast rest train snack rest lunch train dinner sleep.
    Takes about 8000 cals building up to a game. Training varies between strength/game/scrum/lineout.

He is an admitted fan of hard training, but the article painted a very boring almost monastic existence. I would imagine that regardless of the sport, most high level athletes would lead lives that very few people would have the personality or commitment to lead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Micko_

thank you all for your comments & tips.

most athletes like Paul O Connell would live boring lives but they get enough money to keep them company when their short career is over...
    i'm sure when they check their bank balance there are no issues with commitment.

thanks again !

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

http://www.training4cyclists.com/10-secrets-that-will-make-you-a-winning-cyclist/?awt_l=Bg_th&awt_m=If54vI5hIPaUEx

found this website to be very good i must say. good tips and workouts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think I saw Shane Horgan in Whelan's last night, he didn't seem to be following this monk-like training regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

ROK ON wrote: »
    Wake small breakfast train breakfast rest train snack rest lunch train dinner sleep.
    Paul O'Connell; Keeping Iarnrod Eireann in business singlehandedly. Is there any bound to this man's talents?
    Wa.wa.wa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

@OP.. A complete break from training every now and again is essential imo.
    A week off the bike every few months helps to keep you fresh ime.
    Stephen Roche was saying the other day that he reckoned Nico had good legs in the tour because of his enforced layoff with injury a while back.

That said-if you are not showing any overtraining symptoms and still enjoying all your workouts then drive on.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 DCU lad

get a coach and ask them if you want to take it seriously,
    your training doesnt seem very specific but sure do whatever feels right.
    Do as much as you enjoy, dont train when youre feeling ****e or when you dont like what you see out the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

DCU lad wrote: »
    get a coach and ask them if you want to take it seriously,
    your training doesnt seem very specific but sure do whatever feels right.
    Do as much as you enjoy, dont train when youre feeling ****e or when you dont like what you see out the window

In Ireland there are lots of days when you look out the window and don't like what you see. You can go out in almost any weather on the bike.

Advertisement