Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nicolas Roche in Tour De France

• 14-07-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Just wondering having been following the tour on tv ,How come there is so little media coverage here of how well Nicolas Roche has been performing in the tour ,I dont know much about cycling ,but always love watching the tour of france and it seems to me he is doing brillant ,Seventh today and 13th overall is this not a brillant achievement or do the media not really follow cycling as much ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

who knows, but he gets lots of coverage in here at least :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

newstalk mention him explicitly every morning in the sportsnews, and I heard mention of him this evening also @ 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

kenmc wrote: »
    newstalk mention him explicitly every morning in the sportsnews, and I heard mention of him this evening also @ 6.

they mention him at every sports bulletin throughout the day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm watching the RTE news now and Nicolas Roche has just been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

id like to see a little more of him in the new papers myself,it might even go a long way to promoting cycling in the country..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Lupo_solitario

Well thats good to hear, probably just me but had not heard to much about him previously on the media , but maybe thats just me DOHH , hope he gets alot more attention in the next few days , great to see him doing so well , wish him all the best for the rest of the tour :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

As he mentioned either on the video diary or the indo pieces nobody noticed him to much until he got into the top ten. Now they cannot ignore him in Irish media with just the 6.23 gap as we coming to the end of the 2nd week
    It was the same during the Giro until Dan martin had the good stage finish no mention of the race at all

Or Last year there was no mention of the Vuelta until Philip D won the stage.

Cycling is definitly on the Radar of the Typical Irish Sports Jurno who grows up in the world of the GAA.

If any of the golfers are having a good run in the British Open he will drop well down the pecking order

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

If you're looking for in depth coverage on Roche, the reason you won't find much is because Ireland really has only two proper cycling journalists - Shane Stokes (Irish Times) and Paul Kimmage (Sunday Times and of Lance fame). The other papers, Indo etc get their copy from British papers such as the Daily Telegraph, who understandably aren't going to be focusing as exclusively on Roche.
    Roche was meant to be on Radio One Sport this evening but couldn't follow through for some reason...said they'd have him later in the week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Roche was meant to be on Radio One Sport this evening but couldn't follow through for some reason...said they'd have him later in the week though.

He was drug tested yesterday and his bike was also scanned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

If you're looking for in depth coverage on Roche, the reason you won't find much is because Ireland really has only two proper cycling journalists - Shane Stokes (Irish Times) and Paul Kimmage (Sunday Times and of Lance fame). The other papers, Indo etc get their copy from British papers such as the Daily Telegraph, who understandably aren't going to be focusing as exclusively on Roche.

To be fair the Indo is giving nearly a full page every day to the tour with Roche's daily piece and a recap on the previous days stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

id like to see a little more of him in the new papers myself,it might even go a long way to promoting cycling in the country..

The Irish Independent has a diary from him every day, as well as a further article about the previous day's stage, and the Irish Times has a daily article as well, which always mentions Roche and how he's doing. Afaik, they're the two biggest national papers.

Much as I'm excited about his progress, I don't really expect a front page headline for an overall 13th place while we're only halfway through the Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Also features prominently in that well respected news source, "Metro Herald" this morning. :)

Advertisement