Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Swithin's Day

Options
  • 15-07-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

is upon us and no rain yet in Kilkenny but it's only 40 minutes in.

'St. Swithin's day if thou dost rain
    For forty days it will remain
    St. Swithin's day if thou be fair
    For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does light drizzle count?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

forty days starting now for me so:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

What is st swithins day? Is this another day like boxing day for yous have a different name?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

owenc wrote: »
    What is st swithins day? Is this another day like boxing day for yous have a different name?

:rolleyes:

John85 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

WHAT! I don't know what it is!!! I'm not lying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

St Swithin's Day

Still no rain in KK but very grey and gloomy so not too far away I'd imagine.

I wonder if any of the real met heads can tell us if the superstition has any merit in it according to known records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

We used to have plenty of different names in Ireland for St. Swithin's Day, especially in Gaelic folklore. We had Lá Leabhóige in Donegal, Lá San Svaítín in Munster, Lá Fhéil tSin Suet in Conamara, Lá Fhéil Sím in Monaghan, Lá Fhéil Blinne in Omeath (6 July), Lá Molthua na Báistí Móire in Kilkenny, Lá Chaochta na gCnó, Lá Chaochta na gCrann, Lá Fhéil Sibhín, Lá San Bairtliméad (24 August).

Scottish and Welsh Gaelic have their own names too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

supposedly if Owen asks a silly question on St Swithin's Day, there will be another 40 days of silly questions :p

St Swithin's Day

Still no rain in KK but very grey and gloomy so not too far away I'd imagine.

I wonder if any of the real met heads can tell us if the superstition has any merit in it according to known records.

Its not well known because i've never heard that in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

You lead a sheltered life. :D

Started to rain just now. Gutted, and apart from anything else my washing is saturated already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If one person in the world hadn't heard of christmas, doesn't mean its not well known . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Pouring here in Limerick County :(

You lead a sheltered life. :D

Started to rain just now. Gutted, and apart from anything else my washing is saturated already.

Yous are very big into your days thats why yous know it, we aren't thats why i don't know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Yous are very big into your days thats why yous know it, we aren't thats why i don't know it.

What the what? :confused:

nice timing for the day that's in it.

Clare County Council announced today that the hose pipe ban introduced three weeks ago in the Ennis, North Clare Electoral Areas and the Tulla and Kiltannon District Electoral Areas will end at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow, Friday 16th.
    Water supply sources throughout the County have shown a modest recovery in recent days, and the unsettled weather is forecast to continue for the next few days

According to David Timlin, Director of Environmental and Water Services: “The Council urges all consumers to continue to save water and be prudent in its use. The overall situation for water supply has improved slightly. However we continue to ask all public water supply and group water scheme consumers to continue to minimise water usage. The Council appreciates the efforts made by everybody to reduce consumption to date”

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    nice timing for the day that's in it.

Clare County Council announced today that the hose pipe ban introduced three weeks ago in the Ennis, North Clare Electoral Areas and the Tulla and Kiltannon District Electoral Areas will end at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow, Friday 16th.
    Water supply sources throughout the County have shown a modest recovery in recent days, and the unsettled weather is forecast to continue for the next few days

According to David Timlin, Director of Environmental and Water Services: “The Council urges all consumers to continue to save water and be prudent in its use. The overall situation for water supply has improved slightly. However we continue to ask all public water supply and group water scheme consumers to continue to minimise water usage. The Council appreciates the efforts made by everybody to reduce consumption to date”

I thought we were the worst affected area!?! We aren't using no hosepipe ban!

I thought we were the worst affected area!?! We aren't using no hosepipe ban!
    antrim borough/county council obviously have additional water storage capacity than Clare coco

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Owen you got abuuse more for your attitude of "awh is this another boxing day ye make up another name for" than anything else.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

You're dead right Owen - why should the good folk of Coleraine be concerned with St. Swithin and his paltry 40 days of rain! What with mudslides, fields filled up to the top with water( my personal favourite), avalanches, 15ft snowdrifts and wall to wall sunshine anything the good saint could throw at ye would only be chickenfeed!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Fionagus wrote: »
    You're dead right Owen - why should the good folk of Coleraine be concerned with St. Swithin and his paltry 40 days of rain! What with mudslides, fields filled up to the top with water( my personal favourite), avalanches, 15ft snowdrifts and wall to wall sunshine anything the good saint could throw at ye would only be chickenfeed!! :D

With such a moveable feast of superlatives, what use would Coleraine have for St Swithin? :D
    Never mind, Owen - you've lots of years in your life yet to come across these old sayings and prove them right or wrong for yourself (and for Coleraine).

• Advertisement
Advertisement